OT: Ways to read hidden lettering?

Situation is wishing to read some black gloss-painted letters over white emulsion painted plaster, but for a few decades has been covered by wallpaper. Setting is a commercial premises that permission to non-invasively explore would be possible but steaming off wallpaper and remedial work (no matching new wallpaper found) is not permitted.

3 ideas so far, any suggestions relating to these , or any other ideas?

1/ A 3W .9micron wavelength IR torch bought and on the way, in conjunction with a webcam that I've removed the IR filter from and checked with IR zappers as responsive.

2/ I'll also try a vitreous resistor set in a chromed cone in conjunction with a keyfob pyro thermometer, for 10 to 25 micron IR "interogation". The wallpaper is striped so it may be possible to move the pyro, parallel to the lines, if the wallpaper dyestuff interferes with any response. Recording the temperature change with X and Y , if any differentiatable changes become apparent. 3/ high power directed white light and neutral density film over a camera lens. I'll make a test bed of some black painted letters of the relevant size on plaster covered with some wallpaper. Letters are known to be about 65mm high and letter thickness of black paint about 6mm, as they were stencilled. Wallpaper is simple uniform thickness, not anaglypta.

Hiring a pro IR video camera is out of the question as too pricey and may not work for this use anyway . I'm still looking for somewhere that might hire (for some reasonable fee) one of the low res 60x80 pixel IR video cameras

Reply to
N_Cook

Why not make your own IR camera:

Lots online when you search for "Make your own IR camera"

John :-#)#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

I've only tried my hacked IR filter-less camera with IR zappers, not tried to take a pic of anything. I'd not considered adding an IR-pass / visible cut filter, as in that file. I wonder what material that is mase of, polythene? I know that passes the IR of PIR use, whatever wavelength that is. I also assume the IR of such a modified camera without germanium lens is only sensitive to about 1 to 3 micron IR

Reply to
N_Cook

from

it seems floppy disc material, passes IR and blocks visible for this purpose

Reply to
N_Cook

Thanks for posting that link John. It really makes me want to buy another camera to modify. Since I have a machine shop any physical mods and special filter mounts will be easy for me. In fact, I built a filter/lens mount for my Sony DSC-120 Cybershot camera. This has allowed me to mount telephoto and fisheye lenses to it. Eric

Reply to
etpm

Wasn't it you who tried taking an IR filter out of a camera and found that it would not focues without the filter in place? John, posted a link in a reply to your post . The article the link points to says that some cameras will need the IR filter replaced with a piece of glass the same physical size for the camera to work properly. You should read the article. It has some pictures that were taken with various filters that only let in certain wavelengths of IR and blocked all visible light. I can see how this might work for you project. Eric

Reply to
etpm

guilty, that was on a close to scrapper camera, just used as a trial run, not worried if I wrecked it. The current one I've removed the IR blocking filter from, was a thin sheet , not a block of material like the one of my previous posting

Reply to
N_Cook

Hmmm, those terahertz airport scanners are rumoured to be able to see through clothing, so perhaps they would work. May be difficult to beg, steal or borrow one, though...

Mike.

Reply to
Mike

I wonder how many people had accidently lost their "X-ray" Sony camcorder so they could not surrender it .

N_Cook

You can make an acceptable IR-pass, visible-block filter using a thin piece of black-colored acrylic sheet plastic ("Plexiglas"). The black color is apparently a dye, not a pigment.

I've taken some acceptable near-IR photos using this technique, with an old Canon digital camera whose sensor lacks an IR filter. It requires an exposure of several seconds but it does work.

Reply to
Dave Platt

Find a home inspection company that has a hi res thermal imager at 3 microns or 10 microns. Heat the wall with a heat gun gently and image.

Steve

Reply to
sroberts6328

If you can hack the old tech, IR film (of the roll in the camera, take pictures you can't see, process in a darkroom with wet chemistry sort) might be a way to access near-visible IR photography on a lower budget.

Before you rip out the IR filter, check the camera (or various cameras) with the source - many cell phone cameras (at least) can "see" enough near-IR to show near-IR sources without removing a filter.

Visible light, digital camera and image post-processing MIGHT do it.

Different but similar application with old letters (literary estate) and blacked out parts was sorted by scanning at high color depth and separating brown-ish-black from blue-ish-black as the ink written in and the ink blacked out with were different. Not my project, went to a talk at a conference where it was presented.

Ecnerwal

John-I got all jazzed up reading the article you posted the link to. Then I looked at some more. Then a little later I made a trip to the hardware store and stopped in the thrift store a few doors down to look for a camera. Dropped 8 bucks and came home with two Cannon ELPH cameras. I don't know yet if eather camera works but for 8 bucks it was worth the risk. Eric

Reply to
etpm

I've just butchered a 3.25" floppy disc and quite a nice sepia tone to the outdoor scene I was looking at it through, not tried on the camera yet.

Reply to
N_Cook

"photoshopping" I can see has possibilities here as I'm only interested in reading the text , ie differentiatable colour or luminance levels, not pictures of foliage against black skies or anything artistic.

Reply to
N_Cook

Electrostatic detection apparatus ESDA as used for forensic examination of paper indentations may also be worth investigating as alternative to IR?

piglet

Reply to
piglet

To be honest I think your best bet is to illuminate the scene with filtered longwave IR (and no visible) and use an amateur astronomy CCD camera time exposure to try and image through the wallpaper. How well it works depends on how much pigment is in the wallpaper. The paper should be moderately transparent to IR but the pigments may not be.

These cameras are relatively common and your local astronomy club might well have someone who is game to give it a try. The difficulty is that there is a limit to how well glass lenses transmit IR. The other problem is that you will need to do it with a quality longpass filter as you are in the noise >> signal regime on this one.

The FLIR addon for an iPhone5 would be another option.

Possibly the one with the best chance of success if you don't know someone who owns a genuine FLIR camera.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

agreed one of those add-ons or the low res FLIR cameras , but just for a one-off job , cannot justify the prices or even to hire one for one day.

I've now got a test patch of wall with painted on gloss black 3 letters of the right size, will wallpaper over it on Monday.

Reply to
N_Cook

So does exposed & developed 35mm film.

Reply to
RodK

ITYM *unexposed* developed slide film which is a good cheap IR long pass filter since the dyes block most of the visible light.

Using it for viewing eclipses or looking at the sun can cause serious eye damage since it makes the visible light level tolerable whilst still allowing enough near IR through to cause retinal burns.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown