Filling Engraved/Embossed Lettering?

I have an aluminum sign with engraved or embossed lettering... can't quite tell how it was done :-(

At any rate the coloring (black) is fading away to non-existence.

I vaguely recall that there is some way to "rub" coloring/paint/ink, whatever, over the surface to fill the lettering, then wipe the surface clean.

Anyone know how this is done? ...Jim Thompson

Nowadays such signs are milled from laminated material with different materials and colors. IOW: have a new sign made. They are pretty cheap AFAIK.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

This is an "antique": The signage is "The best way to kill an idea is to take it to a meeting" ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Assuming it is the classic type.

Apply a mould release or sacrificial barrier coat of weak paint or starch/wax with a hard roller to the metal surface and after it is good and dry apply the paint to the letters. Leave to dry for a long time and then polish off the weak sacrificial coat to leave just the material in the grooves. Any other method is likely to leave paint in all the tiny scratches that old signs pick up from wear and tear.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

In that case I'd take it to someone who makes tombstones. Those usually have similar colored letters.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Have you looked at MetalPhoto?

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster

We used to have a crayon type thing that we used to fill in engraving on metal panels.

People who know how to use google might consider searching for "engraving filler"

John

The popular method is to use a lacquer stick. Rub it in then remove the excess.

Martin Riddle

Use a 'paint stick' to fill the grooves. Then wipe away any that stuck to the surface. Check art supply stores for them.

Michael A. Terrell

The second best way is to file it with the US Patent Office.

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

--
You just can't stop being a patronizing ass, can you?
Reply to

I was wonderin' if any of you eggheads knew this.

I've been using those for years...to restore markings and lettering on vintage guitar amps. A camera technician turned me on to 'em decades ago... filled engraving on lenses and bodies and whatnot gets unfilled with use, from finger acid, moisture, friction, etc. The product linked above works like a charm.

Lord Valve Old/Experienced

Reply to
Lord Valve

One way is to use one of those ubiquitous pneumatic syringe dispensers. They have 'suck back' (via a venturi, I think) so they don't keep drooling out the hypodermic nozzle after you release the footswitch.

Spehro Pefhany

Thanks! There's a Fastenal near me that supposedly stocks it. ...Jim Thompson

It's permanently _engraved_ in Larkin's skull ;-) ...Jim Thompson

you asked a question google could have answered in a few seconds

Larking told you what he had used, what more do you want? should he deliver the materials and fix it for you?

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

It's probably some old, hideous piece of patio furniture. There's a slim chance it has something to do with electronics.

John

Marketing. Management...

Reply to
krw