OT: TV dictatorship

The point is, they're issuing an imperial edict - you WILL pay.

Get it now?

But maybe the ACLU will step in and say that it discriminates against the poor.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

There are an awful lot of people who simply can't afford to go on cruises, or go golfing, or attend hotsy-totsy cocktail parties, or plunk down two hundred bucks just to get INTO Disneyland, let alone another thousand for hotel rooms and plane tickets and crap.

Just let the bureaucrats know that they'll be taking away the proletariat's bread and circuses, and they might clue up.

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 00:50:59 GMT, Robert Baer Gave us:

No shit. It is about resolution. There couldn't be any forward comparability, and the new sets will play at the older resolutions.

So what is your problem?

Are you AFRAID to go get a nice FPD, and find out what you have been missing?

I have an HDTV Tuner, and HD DVD player, and an HDMI HDTV.

Life couldn't be better (well... maybe a little).

I also bought into and own a library of Laser Discs and normal resolution DVDs. I also have vinyl albums and CDs. I have cassette tapes... the world does rotate, you know.

I also have a really nice stereo receiver, and some really good audio drivers.

If one wants to play, one has to pay.

Just be happy that $1200 (or less) for a real nice 32" HD monitor is a lot easier to save up (and spend) than $1200 was back in the seventies.

Unless you are still making minimum wage.

What? Are you going to let the world pass right by you?

A see a 100 year old man, and I envy the fact that he got to see so much industrialization in the world, that it would make your head spin.

The things that I see changing in my life won't amount to half what he has seen as he started near zero. I started with it (technology) already in my lap, so seeing things change is not that big a deal to me.

I used to read Dick Tracy comics, and I wondered if I would have a wrist watch video phone before I die. Not far off, that... (both)

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Check this out:

and this:

_____________________
Christopher R. Carlen
crobc@bogus-remove-me.sbcglobal.net
SuSE 9.1 Linux 2.6.5
Reply to
CC

On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 00:50:59 GMT, Robert Baer Gave us:

Broadcasters have had a digital signal for a couple years already.

They are free, and I have about 9 in my area. The PBS station has not just one signal, as in their analog scenario, they have THREE.

Sounds to me like it is better, not worse. And NO, it does not, nor will not cost me a dime.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 00:50:59 GMT, Robert Baer Gave us:

Absolute untruth.

You're uninformed.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 00:50:59 GMT, Robert Baer Gave us:

Not true AGAIN! Stop making shit up, BOY!

I have an off air tuner here that gets SEVERAL FREE LOCAL BROADCASTER'S HDTV CONTENT on it.

The maker of the tuner is also going to BROADCAST a multichannel offering where I can get other channels that are not from the local area as well.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 00:50:59 GMT, Robert Baer Gave us:

Not true. My HDTV off air tuner will output to standard TVs, so in reality, my standard TV can receive and view more than it ever could in the past. And it is much sharper than off air as an HDTV signal has ZERO errors in it, and ZERO ghosting, and ZERO herringbone, etc., etc., etc.

It is 100 percent better. If not more.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 00:50:59 GMT, Robert Baer Gave us:

You are only about 5 years behind the curve.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Half of what you know is wrong. You can go to a big box store and buy, for a one time cost of less than $300, an "ATSC Tuner" which will output NTSC signals. And the cost is supposed to drop when the chipsets get better. (They goldplated the damn ATSC standard so the hardware costs a whole lot more than in the rest of the world which uses, I think, something called DVB-T).

If the droids at the local electronics store say you have to go to cable or satellite, they're lying (as they probably get a kickback for every sucker/subscriber they sign up).

Go to

and check around for links on digital television. You'll find that all your local stations are now running their digital signal on seperate UHF channels. Free to air, at least for their main program.

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)

Reply to
Mark Zenier

On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 00:50:59 GMT, Robert Baer Gave us:

You are in the minority with your hold out attitude toward standard TVs.

For me, life is continually getting better. For a guy with your attitude, life is slowly getting worse, and you feel like some other guy is making money off your ass. (I only feel that way about landlords)

Again... if ya wants to play... ya gotz to pay.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On 1 Jul 2006 20:23:07 -0700, "Luhan" Gave us:

Maybe you should look again.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 20:45:05 -0700, CC Gave us:

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 07:39:48 GMT, Robert Baer Gave us:

And many among those that answer "yes" to HDTV as well.

Your soap box is crumbling.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 00:45:26 -0700, Ron Gave us:

Hahahahahaahaha!

I will wait to see his next post.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Sneak in??

Scrambling is a part of many digital transmission systems to improve binary

1's density in the signal. It greatly improves receiver performance.

Don

Reply to
Don Bowey

On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 08:35:08 GMT, Joerg Gave us:

Wrong. Digital does not suffer the same flaws as analog video transmissions.

If you even walked into a nice A/V shop with experienced representatives in it you would learn that digital broadcasts do not have the same problems as analog transmission.

Yes, and WE ARE ushering in digital television, and HDTV.

All that is needed is a tuner. Most output downconverted signals to older sets.

I wish you guys would quit making shit up.

You guys are so full of shit. Where are all your complaints about Bill Gates, and all other software authors. You want to talk about getting more for something than it is worth, pin a tag on those bastards.

The state things are in today, there wouldn't be ANY TVs ending up in landfills, and any twit that leaves one there would get cited and fined for not turning it in where it belongs.

They ignored industrial dumpers in the 60's 70's and 80's but they'll surely go after your average Joe Bloe over a few f****ng harmless solder joints.

The world is full of retards, and we pay their way. I think I had to pay an extra $50 for my monitor to The State of California. Let me find out it is RoHS compliant, and watch me sue the retarded bastards for including monitors in their list that do not belong there.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On 2 Jul 2006 02:52:17 -0700, "Andrew VK3BFA" Gave us:

I'm sure that many of them are more intelligent and more productive in life than you are.

So what was the worry?

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 16:30:17 GMT, Richard The Dreaded Libertarian Gave us:

Wrong... again, DickTard. The edict was the channel the efforts of hardware makers such that what DOES get designed and implemented will all follow a new standard.

Where would we be today if twenty major manufacturers all came up with their own schema?

Are you aware of the current HD DVD / BluRay fight for world dominance?

Do YOU get it now? That is the question.

You'd jump right in that mosh pit too, wouldn't you, DickTard?

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs