OT: Toyota, Wozniak's Software Problem

David Lesher wibbled on Thursday 04 February 2010 01:23

That is so obvious to anyone I wonder how these companies manage to miss it?

--
Tim Watts

Tim Watts

Because years ago it was like Barbie math -- "Hard..." Now it should be trivial ongoing. I'm trying to decide how difficult (i.e. expensive) it would be to retrofit.

Assuming the ECU knows about brake applications [and I can not imagine it does not...], I'd SWAG a PROM swap would be all that was needed to deploy such. I'd *THINK* that all ECU's have socketed chips; don't I keep reading about aftermarket kits for such?

I'd assume that at some point the NHTSA requires same on a car that can overpower its own brakes. But I bet the manufacturers' lawyesr do so before then.....

Now, we can talk about the issue of the computer going insane; how can assure that a brake application won't get overlooked/ignore? THAT is harder to guarantee.

David Lesher

Who else caught the "barrow" spell checker glitch?

Reply to
JosephKK

Stands out like a sore thumb :-) ...Jim Thompson

                     I am glad I am American,
                     I am glad that I am free
                     But I wish I was a Dog
                     And Obama was a tree