Services (low cost) for measuring "off the shelf" calibration standard resistors, capacitors and inductors to 0.1% ?

I would like to buy my own "off the shelf" set of resistors, capacitors and inductors (5-10 of each type) and send them out to be precision measured at a "typical" room temperature (recorded), the LC parts at

1kHz, to an accuracy of 0.1% or better (1000 ppm). I understand that long term component stability is an issue, especially with some types of capacitors. I'd probably go with a "base" of 1% metal film resistors, NPO ceramic, silver mica, and polypropylene caps, etc.

Value ranges are approximately:

R: 8 to 500k Ohms (might not need over 100k) C: 10pF to 500uF (might add 1pF if can) L: 10uH to 8H

The purpose is to have my own references solely for my own use to field verify the accuracy some of my own test equipment without paying the kind of money typically needed with high end calibration standards. The company that does the measurement should have equipment that is NIST traceable. I know HP/Agilent made/makes some models of LCR meters that have 0.1% or better accuracy (e.g., HP 4274A, HP 4284A, $1K-10K).

Has anyone had any experience with this kind of thing, and/or can recommend a friendly lab that will perform such measurements at a low cost (say, < $100)?

Thanks in advance,

Mike Shell

Reply to
Michael Shell

You can buy .01% Vishay bulk metal foil resistors from any of several vendors like Allied, Digi-Key, etc, or browse through the resistors here:

Mostly you'll find various older 'y-foil' types; the newest 'Z-foil' technology is even more stable. Check also under their wire-wounds and look at the Tc numbers.

Also some Vishays on Ebay; check to be certain of the tolerance.

--Damon

Reply to
Damon Hill

The 'without paying' is the main problem. I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and say ... it's insoluble.

The reasons you can't get very high accuracy in reference devices are the reasons you don't need that much accuracy anyhow. Inductors aren't 'pure' devices, they have resistance (and frequency-dependent resistance, and frequency-dependent inductance). Capacitors are likewise not pure, there's a bit of inductance in the connect wires, and dissipation that models like resistance. Your wire connections aren't purely conductive. The resistance of a "reference" resistor doesn't stay accurate when soldered. It doesn't stay accurate when the leads are bent/strained (and if you want to be REALLY precise, there's harmonics generated due to self-heating when you put that low-frequency AC through a resistor).

Where accuracy is really required, like frequency selectivity for radio, there's good standards available; the very-accurate resistors, for instance, are useful for bridge-type sensors. Why, oh, why, would one need to have a one percent 500 uF capacitor, let alone a 0.01% one?

Reply to
whit3rd

Sencore used to have a small box with terminals for about 4 inductors and capacitors they referred to as a Field Calibrator.

The internal components weren't anything special, just a couple of regular components. The "calibrators" were for checking the earlier models of Z-Meters, the inductance and capacitance measuring instruments.

The user would send the calibrator in to Sencore, and they would measure the components with their own NIST-traceable equipment, and put a label on it noting the date and the components' capacitance and inductance values. That gave the user something to check the Z-Meter with.

If you constructed a box with components in it, they would probably give you a price quote to measure, date and label it. I think the last price I saw for the calibrator service was about $60US, but that part has been obsolete for years.

For a precision resistance, you might just take a number of precision resistors and put them in parallel to attain the resistance step you desire. The individual resistors could be pre-checked with your existing equipment.

Paralleling 10 pieces of 100 ohm, 0.1% (or 0.01%) resistors would essentially cancel out (substantially minimize) the value tolerances. You would have to just trust the manufacturer's specifications for the parts you use.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

As has been noted you can just buy the standard resistors, 0.01% off the = shelf. =46or your reference capacitors you are going to learn quality capacitors= above=20

2 uF are expensive, bulky and hard to find. I doubt you can find any at = all=20 above 20 uF. Quality (high Q and high SRF) inductors larger than 200 uH = are=20 going to be troublesome as well. =20 =46inally getting them measured will depend on how accurate you want them= measured=20 how many frequencies you want them measured at and how many you want = measured. =20 Provide them for measurement mounted with 4-terminal connections. =46inally, keep the reference parts inside with well controlled = conditions. I measured ordinary and high quality parts for a few years running. = Using HP LCR=20 meters and even more accurate GR bridges. Making the measurements was = not my=20 normal lab duties, creating test specific test methods and test equipment= was.
Reply to
JosephKK