Toyota ECM diagnostic protocol?

Does anyone know if year 2001 Toyotas use a standard engine diagnostic protocol? I have worked with CAN-based GMLAN and several others, and I am hoping that maybe Toyota uses one of the ones I know. The reason is that my dealership charges $85 to "diagnose" an engine-check light event, which sometimes turns out to be something that can be safely ignored, like "random multiple misfires" (which occurred in very damp weather). I would like to read out the P-codes and then decide if it serious enough to turn it over to the dealership.

-Robert Scott Ypsilanti, Michigan (Reply through newsgroups, not by direct e-mail, as automatic reply address is fake.)

Reply to
Robert Scott

Should be standard OBD2 connector and readout protocol on a car that vintage.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

address is fake.)

OBD2, you can buy a handheld for circa $130 USD

Reply to
TheDoc

And you should be able to get it to flash the Check Engine idiot-light with error codes for a quick'n'dirty indication.

Google '"check engine" toyota codes' and there should be a few pages detailing this.

--
Ron Sharp.
Reply to

BTW: If you don't want to invest in a scan tool, many (most?) independent auto parts stores will let you use their scanner free. Autozone, for instance. The commercial rationale being that if the code says "replace lateral frobulator", you'll likely buy it right then and there.

Charging for 60 seconds of scan time is ridiculous but widely practised.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

Robert Scott wrote: : Does anyone know if year 2001 Toyotas use a standard engine diagnostic : protocol? I have worked with CAN-based GMLAN and several others, and : I am hoping that maybe Toyota uses one of the ones I know. The reason : is that my dealership charges $85 to "diagnose" an engine-check light : event, which sometimes turns out to be something that can be safely : ignored, like "random multiple misfires" (which occurred in very damp : weather). I would like to read out the P-codes and then decide if it : serious enough to turn it over to the dealership.

Go to

After entering the car info in to the web page it will tell you how to put the car in to the diag mode via the harness and have the idiot light codes. (short two pins) They have the most complete codes Ive seen on the web.

You milage may vary with your 2001 but it helped diag an idiot light event that point me to the EGR system on my 94 Corolla. Turned out to be the vacuum valve switch.

--
Greg Holdren
greg (dot) holdren (at)  (dot) com