OT: This clunker didn't give up so easily

te:

imilar UK

market.

litical

the

=A0or

s is the UAW's gain!"

he

g,

Nothing on autotrader.com, craigslist, or on eBay cars?

I looked into the clunker thing, but realized I'd have to buy a new car to qualify for the cash-4-clunkers thing. Unless I misunderstood something...

Michael

Reply to
Michael

similar UK

market.

political

Duh! Ya think?!

I looked at it, but my 2001 has a trade-in value of over $6K (and my wife's car doesn't qualify), not that I'd go for it anyway. Both are still quite reliable transportation.

Reply to
krw

rote:

similar UK

.

he market.

political

d the

=A0or

oss is the UAW's gain!"

the

tag,

Sure, there are cars everywhere, just not as many because a lot of perfectly good ones are being destroyed. The needy are thus robbed of affordable transport.

Hey, I wonder how many green jobs that creates...?

Great stimulus package.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

similar UK

market.

political

...driving up the price on those that are left.

Let's not forget cars that might otherwise be donated to charity.

Wanna guess? I wonder how many jobs it's going to create for lawyers, trying to get the money out of Washington?

Did you expect otherwise?

Reply to
krw

And some unintended consequences:

Now imagine these bungling amateurs trying to do something important, like running a health care system.

John

Well, aren't they doing great with the Post Office and the DMV?

;-) Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

"Limited supplies have driven up the cost of a new car to near or even above sticker prices, negating the advantage of the program.

'The $4,500 might seem like a great deal. But if you pay $2,000 over sticker for a car that normally sells for $2,000 under sticker, it's no longer a great deal,' said Jesse Toprak, vice president of industry trends and insights for car pricing tracker True Car.com."

Cool.

-- James

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

trap

m,

We're either being run by a ship of fools, or they're actually trying to wreck the place. I vote fools, but sometimes it's hard to tell.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

The dealers are mostly pocketing the money... if they can ever collect it.

John

Both.

John

Moron. The DMV is operated by state and local government, not federal.

Michael A. Terrell

The really insane bit occurs in the UK, as usual. Since 86% of our cars are imported we end up mostly supporting other nations car industries

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax