OT: The EU guy's are Nuts, Water does not Hydrate?

A bit of chlorine has to be added to tap water to prevent contamination from stuff getting int through the distribution system- and that's true even if they use modern treatment methods such as ozonation at the source.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

It's rare to have any odor or taste of Chlorine. The few times I've noted any, I asked Jennifer, and it had to do with clearing some algae in the pipes. ...Jim Thompson

here there's no clorine added to the water

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Is the tap water potable?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Maybe that's the explanation for Europeon "thinking" ;-) ...Jim Thompson

m a

lth

ng

I just assumed that Europeans wouldn't be easily gulled by a few ad men, and the concern of it surprises all of us over here.

Americans are often criticized as foolish, but only the rarest fool among us would guzzle the myth that bottled water is anything more than a convenience.

Water is perfectly excellent for rehydration--I used it that way myself today. Perhaps it's the medical men who should be chastised for stealing the word "rehydration," connecting it to "therapy," and claiming some sort of dominion over that?

I highly doubt they listen to the radio at all. Most of them don't read, either. Not books, anyhow.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

My dad, a medical doctor, took a fellowship in infectious disease. He described the chlorination trade-off as accepting a fractional increase in cancer frequency on the one hand, vs. massive epidemic losses (deaths) from outbreaks of waterborne disease.

Me? I just filter out the chlorine. That way everyone's happy.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

table?

cannot

A mix of surface water and ground water with a touch of industrial waste.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

In some countries its standard. If you pour it in a glass and leave it for a few minutes, the chlorine will be gone.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Somewhere in the 80's Greenpeace wanted to ban Chlorine because it is very toxic. They forgot that hundreds of millions of people depend on Chlorine for potable water!

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

hey

rom a

ealth

re

eing

ays

The European population is no more homogenous than the US population. A higher proportion may have learned critical thinking, but both have a minority that is susceptible to irrational claims, that need to be protected from bottled water and Karl Rove style right-wing political propaganda.

There are a lot of Americans, and the survivable of the Republican Party suggests that close to half of them can't do critical thinking.

Dehydration typically kills by messing up the electrolyte balance. Pure water isn't much use for restoring the missing electrolytes.

This is unlikely to be true. Non-readers constitute something like 25% of the population - the young and less educated are less likely to read, but it would be surprising if non-readers constituted a majority even amongst teen-agers.

These are statistics for Australia, but survey results in the US and the UK look much the same.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

-

"Filter"? Chlorine would be present as dispersed molecules. You might get rid of it by letting it "oxidise"/chlorinate something - activated charcoal comes to mihd - but filtering won't work.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

You know it is a bit borderline when you can smell airborne halocarbons when taking a shower - happened to me a few times in Japan. The alternative is decidedly worse.

Colloquially they are called water filter cartridges even though the part that removes active chlorine is typically activated charcoal. The rest is ion exchange resin. I think there may be something in against chloramine too although probably unwise to rely on it for fish tanks.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

He

Damn. I was hoping I'd given James Arthur enough rope to let him hang himself, while not demonstrating enough ignorance to prompt a correction directed at me. I may live in the Netherlands, but I am a native speaker of English, and lived in Cambridge quite long enough to have to have bought quite a few "water filter" cartriges to deal with the crap that the Margaret Thatcher's privatised water caompanies were allowed to put into or leave in the water.

-- Bill Sloman,

Reply to
Bill Sloman

absolutely,

Clorine is no longer used here since the last place stopped using surface water. And from what I've read it still has less bateria than most bottled water that has been on the shelf for while

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

le?

ot

nope, only ground water and all the industrial type things are well below the limit if detectable at all

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

So, are you saying they shouldn't spray a vegetable on a fruit? ;-)

Michael A. Terrell

table?

cannot

tap

waste.

Water does vary from place to place. I have visited places where tap water is undrinkable due to iron (and some related ions) content; much more difficult to remedy than traditional "hard water" (loaded with alkaline earth [column 2A] ions).

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Iron is merely a bit unpleasant or staining unless the concentration is incredibly high. Trace copper or arsenic can be really bad. A local farm well historically had too much copper in the water and this was only established after a couple of fatalities. The clean deep well water scheme in India backfired badly because of arsenic contamination.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Reply to
Martin Brown

Activated charcoal can be a nice nest for bacteria.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany