Power Factor limits in the UK/EU

For a small mains powered electronic gizmo for the UK/EU market we are looking at using a reactive ballast (i.e. capacitor) dropper rather than a transformer. The gizmo is fully sealed so the elec safety is not a problem but are their limitations due to the very low power factor we will have (around

0.3 leading) - the mains current will be around 70mA at 230V but the watts obviously very low.

Are there any minmum PF (/harmonic limitation) requirements that would preclude using a capacitor in this case? and if so what are the limits?

Thanks

Reply to
RHRRC

I don't know if there are limits in your particular case, but I've seen a technical solution when there was a limit on PF:

A power resistor in parallel with the device.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

In message , RHRRC writes

PF correction is only required on devices consuming more than 75W. (Though I'm not sure which EN spec this appears in).

--
Chris Morriss
Reply to

I think the power companies love some capacitive loading to compensate for al those inductive loads(anything with a transformer or motor).

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

This has generated sort of a thought experiment in my headbone - suppose I have a big inductive load across the mains, and I put enough capacitance across it such that it's resonant at 60 Hz (US), what does the power company think of that?

I guess they'd love having no reactance reflected to them, and the real power in my load would only lower the Q of the tuned circuit?

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise