Valves are NOT dead .....

** They still keep up with the times ...

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

The mind boggles when you think about what time, effort and accuracy of design and build is required to make these things work.

Mark Kelepouris

Reply to
Mark Kelepouris

Very pretty !! Heh, would be great in a cold climate to offset the heating bill :-). Some project !!

--

Cheers ......... Rheilly P

Where theres a will, I want to be in it.
Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

**The guy seems to have a surplus of spare time. BTW: I have seen a 'pocket watch' size digital clock using Nixie tubes somewhere in my surfing.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

How does using electricity to heat a valve filament offset your heating bill? (especially if you don't normally use electricity for heating) It certainly increases your cooling bill though.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

True story: When i was a teenager, we had a water fight one day. I had a twenty dollar note (paper) in my pocket. I thought the quickest way to dry it was to place it on top of my old valve radio. An hour, or so, later I returned to find a small pile of ash. Twenty dollars in those days was half a weeks wages.

Reply to
two bob

AHHHH rrriiiiggghhhtt !! Glad ya enjoyed the joke Enstein :-)

--

Cheers ......... Rheilly P

Where theres a will, I want to be in it.
Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

I chuckled, anyway. ;-) If you reckon that clock's complex using valves as logic elements, think about the Colossus computer with 1,500 valves used by the Poms in WW2 to help break the German Enigma codes

That would have been great in the middle of winter! Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

have a old muse tube amp, used it on a amstrad computer, in the winter i used it as a foot warmer.

Reply to
zack

Yup, the Poms arent all that silly either !! Good little number in winter as ya say :-)

--

Cheers ......... Rheilly P

Where theres a will, I want to be in it.
Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

I like the Nixie Tube Cable TV set top box here

Regards
Blue

Remove ZX from email address to reply directly.
Reply to
aussiblu

Exellent effort, if not bizarre.

Mark K.

Reply to
Mark Kelepouris

And in summer?

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

It's still a foot warmer but hotter.

Reply to
Friday

in summer i could keep my coffie warm.

Reply to
zack

I've got a valve that is dead.

geoff

Reply to
Geoff

i got a new valve long time ago its a 6L6WXT it was dead, no cathode connection to pin from inside.

Reply to
zack

They used to strip off to keep cool in the computer room - quite a few of the female operators got knocked up while working there!!!

Reply to
ian field

"ian field" wrote

They used to strip off to keep cool in the computer room - quite a few of the female operators got knocked up while working there!!!

***** Source??

Brian Goldsmith.

Reply to
Brian Goldsmith.

A documentary on UKTV history channel about Bletchly Park - the codebreakers. One of the original codebreakers in an interview mentioned that maternity leave was higher among female staff at BP and attributed it to the removal of garments in the heat of the computer room!

Reply to
ian field