OT: The EU guy's are Nuts, Water does not Hydrate?

What are they going to do, ban another element on the periodic table?

Martin Riddle

nah they are just telling the bottled water companies that they cannot pretend that bottled water at twice the price of gasoline is needed to stay healthy ;)

around here the tap water is better than bottled water in every measurable way

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

I think the concern is that people are being lead to believe that they risk chronic dehydration if they're not constantly guzzling water from a bottle. That is, that the bottled water producers are inventing a health issue and then purporting to address it.

If a person is actually dehydrated due lack of water intake, then drinking some (in any consumable form, e.g. tea, cofee, soft drink, beer, fruit etc.) will obviously help. Otherwise, it won't, and that will be the normal situation.

Of course, the EU is singling out bottled water in this case. There are plenty of other worthless products on the market that purport to address non-existent health problems.

Oh, and water isn't an element.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Dihydrogen monoxide kills more people than guns do!

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

Oddly enough "oral rehydration therapy" doesn't use pure water, but rather water with some added sugar and salt

Bottled water - on it's own - isn't effective for oral rehydration therapy. The manufacturer's claims come dangerously close suggesting otherwise.

Only if your opinions have been influenced by modern science - the classical "elements" were earth, air, fire and water, which makes for a relatively short periodic table, short enough that right-wing nit- wits silly enough to take the ToryGraph seriously can get their pointy little heads around it. This proposition has been superseded, but if your idea of education involved learning Latin and Greek and reading only the classical authors in the original languages, you might not know this.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Those damn kids & their water pistols!

Michael A. Terrell

The world needs a gangsta rap about Super Soakers!

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

As the article says, oral rehydration therapy is used in the treatment of diarrhea. Where sufferers will be failing to absorb water and nutrients properly. The salt and sugar help address the latter problem.

Only if you conflate the need for oral rehydration therapy with simple dehydration.

It makes no difference. The context in which the OP used the word element related to the periodic table, which does not contain water, regardless of how much classical education is involved.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

th

ss

As unsophisticated consumers might.

It's not the amount of classical education which matters, but the deficit in non-classical education. English language science journalists aren't normally educated in science - journalism comes under the arts faculty - and the Daily Telegraph journalist involved probably didn't have clue about why the periodic table is periodic, or what constitutes an "element" in that context.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Somethings are easy to misread. It is not allowed to claim that only pure water prevents dehydration.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Would you like to point out where this "element" (sic) resides ?

I am inclined to agree. There are some isotonic sports drinks that are intended to do what the vastly overpriced bottled water brigade were claiming on their labels here so I presume that is the distinction being made. You cannot tell from the Telegraph article because it will always put the most spiteful Eurosceptic spin on anything it publishes.

Even consuming most food will provide significant water intake unless you are eating ships biscuits. Point in the UK and USA is that tapwater is every bit as good for you as bottled water.

Don't tell them that - they know everything and are never wrong...

The Torygraph science correspondents have legendary levels of ignorance, they even have a blogger who claims to be "Right about everything". He is a demented right whinger as you would expect.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Even better, they need to use Super Soakers to clean out the so called 'Rap music'.

Michael A. Terrell

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Lucky guy. Where i am i have to filter mine.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Why ? A little metallic additives will put hair on your chest!

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

My #2 daughter, chief of the Phoenix water laboratories, says her tap water has far less of anything than bottled water. ...Jim Thompson

Certainly not in Europe, post-RoHS.

Do Europeans not know what water's for or how to use it? Do they really need a gov't to make that clear?

Right now, here, the radio's playing a gov't ad for teens. The ad explains how to say "no" to other teens who want nude pictures. An excellent use of tax dollars.

Nancy Pelosi's proposing socialized childcare. That's a better, braver, newer way--that way the gov't can just raise your kids all the way, saving parents the trouble. *Those* kids would *definitely* know how to not distribute naked pictures of themselves, and not to drink too much water.

Food absorbs water from air too. There ought to be laws against that, lot's of 'em.

So? You're too literal. Martin knows that. He also knows it's not being banned.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

The EU has somewhat stricter rules on what spurious "benefits" can be claimed for drinks and foodstuffs than in the USA. This bottled water ruling was essentially a reign check on the admen trying to pull a fast one and con even more people to pay usurious prices for their magical bottled water as rehydration therapy (something which it is not).

It seems to have been ignored until the UKs right whinging press got hold of it and decided it was yet another EU bashing opportunity.

I expect that works really well ;-) Dealing with pictures on a radio. Do *any* teens listen to the same radio channels as you do? Or even to radio at all?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

?

m a

lth

You are being either stupid or dishonest - probably both.The proposal isn't aimed at raising kids, just improving the accessibility of day- care, so that more mothers can work. Day-care may help pre-school children develop their social skills by letting them interact with more children than they would meet if their mother was stuck with full- time child-minding, but that's scarcely the "socialization" you fear.

Why? Day-care isn't about looking after kids when they are of an age to take in that kind of advice.

Why? It would be trifle pointless. The laws of thermodynamics dictate the extent to which food will absorb water from - moderately humid - air, and passing laws against it would be the kind of right-wing nit- wittery that once prompted some American state legislature to refine pi so that it was exactly three ...

re

ess

You are giving Martin too much credit. He was silly enough to post the link to the Daily Telegraph's anti-EU propaganda puff in the first place.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

but it is surface water no? from what I remember the tap water had a bit of clorine taste and smell i Phoenix

around here it is mostly ground water something like 60-70 years old

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt