OT: Super-spreading in Covid-19

A recent Proceedings of the (US) National Academy of Science has am interes ting - if highly technical paper - on the influence of super-spreaders on the way that Covid-19 epidemic extends

They make an appreciable difference and strategies aimed at stopping the oc casional super-spreader from infecting a lot of people are probably worth the extra effort. My reading of the message is that lock downs are worth th e trouble and expense, but the paper merely points out that preventing larg e gathering of susceptible individuals would be a useful reaction to their findings.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Don't tell the majority of the Supreme Court, who seem to think that Jewish wedding attendance and bicycle purchase present similar risks.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

esting - if highly technical paper - on the influence of super-spreaders on the way that Covid-19 epidemic extends

occasional super-spreader from infecting a lot of people are probably worth the extra effort. My reading of the message is that lock downs are worth t he trouble and expense, but the paper merely points out that preventing lar ge gathering of susceptible individuals would be a useful reaction to their findings.

LOL- thanks for the simple minded interpretation on a level to be expected from a pre-pubescent boy scout of mediocre intelligence writing a book repo rt for a public safety merit badge.

Maybe you could explain just exactly what fat tailed distributions are and how that ties in with extreme value statistics and the estimation of this d ispersion parameter they figure into disease spread?

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

They don't believe any such thing, it's about setting precedent they think will provide an avenue to overturn Roe v. Wade etc.

Reply to
bitrex

eresting - if highly technical paper - on the influence of super-spreaders on the way that Covid-19 epidemic extends

e occasional super-spreader from infecting a lot of people are probably wor th the extra effort. My reading of the message is that lock downs are worth the trouble and expense, but the paper merely points out that preventing l arge gathering of susceptible individuals would be a useful reaction to the ir findings.

d from a pre-pubescent boy scout of mediocre intelligence writing a book re port for a public safety merit badge.

Which means that Fred Bloggs doesn't like my interpretation, but can't expl ain why.

d how that ties in with extreme value statistics and the estimation of this dispersion parameter they figure into disease spread?

Why not read the paper? It goes into what they mean by a fat-tailed distrib ution in some detail - which is what I meant by "highly technical". If I wa nted to find out more detail I'd ask my cousin the statistician. He's got a Ph.D. in the subject and spent some time as a professor teaching people ab out it.

-- Bill Sloman, Sydney

Reply to
Bill Sloman