OT: Step drill bits

Yes, and the sloppy-clearance Greenlee punches might not do so well with really thin soft material, like the 1mm aluminum used on some chassis.

Recommended (total) punch/die clearance is 0.006" (0.15mm) for 0.040" (1mm) aluminum- I measured a genuine Greenlee and it was more like

0.031" (0.8mm) which is well into danger territory. They work fine on 1/8" aluminum and I think they're just okay in practice on 1/16" (1.6mm) hard-ish aluminum..

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Harbor Freight sells 'em for much less than that. As with most of their stuff it's not going to be of ultimately high quality but should be OK for an occasional use.

They have one singletone, and several two- and three-piece sets... the most expensive set is $20.

Reply to
Dave Platt

roughly $10. will take care of Al easily

David Eather

The drill/nibbler/file ensemble is very flexible, you can make keyed holes, rectangles, or oddball shapes like for this snaps-in connector:

It's a good idea, too, to get a deburring tool (Noga or somesuch) to quickly whittle down the sharp edges.

Reply to
whit3rd

Ebay..

TTman

Besides if you get the good stuff, you can drink it. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I second the chassis punch but Harbor Freight carries cheap (in both senses) step drills.

Reply to
krw

** Most 9 pin valve sockets sold these days come from China and need a 22mm dia hole. They are made from white ceramic. Older European made sockets need 19mm diameter and are made of plastic. US made ones mostly need 3/4 inch.

So the OP needs a step drill able to cut a 7/8 inch or 3/4 inch hole.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

On Mon, 07 Dec 2015 19:08:57 -0500, krw Gave us:

Ever read about "chilling"?

Ever seen the stats on the effect it has on standard high speed bits?

Not cold during use, mind you. The process is at the molecular level, and once chilled, gets retained.

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

The size and price usually "steps" up for > 3/4" so maybe it's important whether it's 3/4" or 5/8".

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

I've had very good luck with the ones from eBay. There is a large assortment in inch and metric. I found they are just about the only way to drill holes in acrylic plastic without cracking. A regular drill applies pressure perpendicular to the sheet which cracks it. A step drill opens the hole in small steps and cuts away from the sides so there is little or no pressure to crack the plastic.

Here are some eBay examples. I found them to be of excellent quality, very sharp, and easily capable of cutting aluminum and soft steel.

New 1/4" to 3/4" M2 Hex Shank HSS Titanium Step Drill Bits LJN US $3.53

1/4"-1-3/8" TITANIUM STEEL METAL UNI VARIABLE STEPPED DOWN DRILL BIT UNIBIT TOOL US $6.19
5PCS HSS COBALT MULTIPLE HOLE 50 Sizes STEP DRILL BIT SET w/ Aluminum Case US $22.50 Won't ship to Canada
5PCS HSS COBALT MULTIPLE HOLE 50 Sizes STEP DRILL BIT SET w/ Aluminum Case 3/16" to 1 3/8" US $25.03
Bruce S

** Got myself a G&J Hall HSS step drill from Farnell about 20 years back.

Cuts perfectly round holes from 10mm to 20mm dia in 1mm increments. Goes though plastic and Aluminium sheet like it's butter, mild steel takes a little pressure plus a few drop of light oil to reduce friction.

I normally drill a 10mm pilot hole using standard drill bits and then the step drill to take it out to the desired size. It self centres perfectly.

I bought it specially for use with die cast boxes to mount 3 pin XLR and 1/4 inch plastic jack sockets and always use the drill press with these.

IME - large dia drill bits and chassis punches are unusable with die cast boxes. Drills bits grab the material while punches often cause large cracks in the box.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Brad point drills work well in aluminum for smaller holes. They can be made from standard drills if you're handy with a grinder. Woodworking tool suppliers carry them as well as mainstream tool sources.

Not cheapskate unless you're recycling old drills, but they last a long time.

--
Grizzly H.
Reply to

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Solid carbide?

Reply to
krw

If you're drilling epoxy glass composite - yes.

--
Grizzly H.
Reply to

I bought some precision metal hole cutters years ago. They work beautifully on aluminum. Google "annular cutter"

Reply to
gray_wolf

if only :)

NT