Earthquake Drill

Massive earthquakes in Mexico.

Deadliest Quake to Hit Mexico in 30 Years Kills 119

119-people-667913

LA is next, then SF.

Time to practise your earthquake drills and ensure everything is safe.

Good time to move your company out of SF.

It's coming.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

People have been predicting "The Next Big One" for over a century and it hasn't happened. Clearly their models are wrong, and hence it isn't coming :)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

kills-

And when it's coming you can sue them as it happened in Italy for not giving you predictions that you don't believe.

--
Reinhardt
Reply to

Well, duh. Everybody's known that since 1906. For anybody who wasn't paying attention, there were reminders in 1984 (Morgan Hill) and 1989 (Loma Prieta).

Lisbon, Berlin, and Tokyo were rebuilt (Tokyo a few times, most recently after 1923 and 1945).

We're all going to die of something.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(who was there for the Morgan Hill one)

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yes, but when?? Alex Jones does some great survival gear for just such a nightmare scenario:

Cursitor Doom

kills-

Berlin? Not after an earthquake.

--
Reinhardt, living in an earthquake zone (Taiwan)
Reply to

Did I say it was an earthquake? Personally I'd way rather have been in even the Lisbon quake than in Berlin or Tokyo in 1945.

There are lots of unpleasant things that can happen. Those poor bastards in Dominica just had a mundane Cat 1 blow up into a monster Cat

5 in one day, and then, pow. Give me an earthquake any old time rather than that.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I was on holiday in S Italy. Two days after I left 3000 people were killed in a quake; I had travelled through the epicentre.

I was on holiday in S India. If we hadn't left, 3 days later we would have been in a town where a tsunami killed 150 people (250k were killed elsewhere)

Don't follow me around on holiday.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I wish that was a joke.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Roger. I could probably safely precede you though--ever felt any hints of narapoia?

(*)

Or maybe you're like Douglas Adams' Rob McKenna, the Rain God. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(*) It's a 1948 SF short story by Alan Nelson, where the main character goes to a psychiatrist because he thinks he's after someone.

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

At least with earthquakes we don't have to be worried that we are causing them ourselves. With Cat 5 hurricanes that is not so certain.

Reply to
Rob

Frequently. Usually w.r.t. the lying bastards that promoted Brexit.

We don't forget Dennis Howells, the Minister for Drought in

1976. He was the most successful politician anybody can remember, since a few days after his appointment the heavens opened.
Tom Gardner

The odds of a 6.0 or greater earthquake striking the Northeast/East Coast are something like one in four over the next 50 years; there is certainly historical precedent.

Reply to
bitrex

119-people-667913
6.0 isn't too bad. Morgan Hill was 6.22ish. Set the hanging fluorescent fixtures swinging, but nobody fell down and destruction was fairly minor even at the epicentre. Loma Prieta was quite a bit worse.

Sure, it can happen nearly anywhere, and the super deep ones like New Madrid can be the worst. That one knocked down half the trees, iirc, fortunately before many people lived there.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

We spent a megabuck reinforcing our building [1] for earthquakes. We've sold it, and it will be demolished for condos, and we didn't have a big quake, so we wasted the money. Now we're spending another million or so to stiffen our new place. Corporate taxes being what they are [2], we can expense all that and get about half off.

The big killer in the USA isn't earthquakes, it's hurricanes. And I'd rather an electronics shop to be shook, than filled with water and mud.

Besides, the food is so good here.

Where do you live?

[1] Sitting on sand at the northern edge of the Mission Liquefaction Zone. [2] Unless D manages to reduce corporate taxes, which I sure hope he can. It's better to hit employed people with income and sales taxes, than to tax businesses and make those people unemployed.

lunatic fringe electronics

Some too soon. Others...

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

You are obviously not familiar with fracking.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

It doesn't take a 6.0 earthquake. A 5.8 earthquake in central Virginia caused damage at the North Anna nuclear power plant and caused the the reactors to go offline and the diesel generators to start powering the cooling pumps. One generator failed and when it was finally analyzed they found the head gasket installation procedure was flawed potentially affecting each of the generators. This could have resulted in a complete meltdown of both reactors with a resulting loss of many billions of dollars of property values.

Murphy was an optimist and you just can't run far or fast enough.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

Nobody needs models to predict that we'll get more earthquakes, given that we've had them for millions of years. The quakes caused the models. Most science works that way: physical phenomena lead the theories to explain them.

Certainly a biggish quake is coming - plate creep is real and measured

- but nobody can make more than a statistical guess as to when and how big. The best guess for a big one is closer to LA than to SF. An offshore quake in the Washington/Oregon area might be a lot worse than a quake on one of the faults here.

Another New Madrid would be ghastly, and the many cities in range probably don't have earthquake-aware building codes like we do. Since the 1989 Loma Prieta quake, SF has been serious about new construction codes and upgrading old buildings. Our house, built in 92, has a steel frame seated in a giant concrete foundating sitting on rock, and is stiffened with quake-compliant plywood with maybe 50K nails.

lunatic fringe electronics

I suppose you feel the money you spend on medical insurance is wasted if you don't have a heart attack?

You have a strange way of looking at things. To make up the lost profits you still have to make another million in company income.

An even stranger way to look at things. Only a very small percentage of the country deals with hurricane flooding, the shore. There are places at low risk of both earthquake and hurricanes as well as tornadoes, snipers and killer bees... and have great food!

In my home. Some of the best cooking I've ever had was from my own grill.

Again, that makes no sense. That *you* personally make less profit doesn't mean you hire fewer people. In fact, you need to hire more people to make the same profit.