tap drill size

1/4"-20 tap calls for 0.201" tap drill (13/64")

Into a steel 1/8" panel, tap is hard enough to turn that handles flex :-(

Is that normal, or do I need to go up one or more drill sizes? ...Jim Thompson

Measure the core diameter of the tap and go down a bit for eccentricity and general wobbles. Alternately, try your larger drill on a scrap piece, tap the hole and then inspect it with a magnifier - if the threads are flat-topped you've gone too far.

Chris

Reply to
christofire

Do you have time to fight a broken tap out of the steel? Been there, done that, don't like it! Does the connection need all the strength of full threads? If not, drill the hole larger. If you don't drill the hole larger, at least use a good quality, sharp tap, there is a big difference. Either way, do use a proper lubricant. I'll be away, and won't bother you while your doing this, tell your wife to go away too! Mike

PS. Most of my experience is with 4-40, 6-32, and 8-32 in aluminum. I phased out the 4-40 without any regrets.

Reply to
amdx

I would say that your tap is dull or you have soft steel. Chinese taps are horrible. If you don't need strength, you can go down to a 60% thread which I do in titanium, actually, 55% for some fasteners that hold a decorative plate.

The above link shows pilot drill to achieve certain thread percentages.

This link has a percentage thread calculator, about 3/4 of the way down the page.

.. Mark

Reply to
qrk

This has a better table, showing more percentage size options.

Reply to
qrk

qrk wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You also don't state if you are using any lubricant. It makes a huge difference.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

The 0.201 (13/64") is for softer materials. You want to go to a 7/32" drill for harder materials. Also, you have to decide if you want 75% or 50% threads.

I was in manufacturing for 25+ years.

Bill

Reply to
Garberstreet Electronics

You can't beat PTFE lubricants - slick50 or Finish line grease from a bicycle shop.

Reply to
ian field

--- IME it's not normal.

As someone else suggested, make sure your tap is sharp and use lube.

If you haven't done any tapping in a while, it may be that the tap isn't being held normal to the panel when it starts biting into the metal, which can cause it to bind up.

In order to make that go away, get or make a "tapping block" which is nothing more than a block with a 1/4" hole drilled through it perpendicular to the face being drilled, hold it against the panel, insert the tap into the hole and start the tap into the panel that way.

Works great!

JF

Reply to
John Fields

...Jim Thompson

Are you using lube ? Soap is Ok.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Are you using cutting oil?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

You need some cutting oil, Kerosene or plain oil will do.

Martin Riddle

Good idea! When I went out to get a larger bit, I bought a vanadium tap :-) ...Jim Thompson

Really good idea! When I can, I use my drill press to get a vertical start. In this case, it's free-hand, so your "tapping block" is a SUPER idea! Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

Of course not! I'm an EE :-( But I will ;-) ...Jim Thompson

What lubricant are you using? And is the tap sharp?

Reply to
PeterD

#7 bit.

I use my small cordless black&decker 3/8 drill in slip mode around 10 to drive the tap in, when it jams and the drill chatters, reverse it and then reenter. I do this all the time when making enclosure mounts etc..

P.S. If you don't have drill&tap oil around, use D-40 and use a start (tapered tip) tap not a bottom tap.

Reply to
Jamie

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

If you are doing through holes, what you really want is a "gun" tap. These push the chips out in front of the tap, so you don't have to do the "forward 3/4 turn, back up 1/4 turn" routine to bust off the chips. They just corkscrew out ahead of the tap.

A combination of:

1) lube

2) a guide block

3) a high quality gun tap

and you will be amazed at how easy it is to tap holes.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

That level of flexing is not normal. You risk snapping the tap off in the hole, which is a nuisance.

Lube, and, back the tap up a bit every half turn or so to break the chips (cuttings) loose as you go. That greatly reduces friction & cutting force. John's tapping block is another hot tip.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Use lube. And back the tap up a quarter turn or so for every turn (once it starts cutting good thread) to clear the chips.

Programmers don\'t die, they just GOSUB without RETURN.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.