OT: Spanish-American War debt finally paid off

The thing that really sickens me is that nobody seems able (or willing) to define exactly what "win" means. Turn Iraq into another Puerto Rico?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

In article , Richard The Dreaded Libertarian wrote: [....]

I think it is quite well defined. The other side wants to turn Iraq into an anti-US theocracy. For US, this makes "win", preventing that outcome.

In other words at this point, "win" means to leave a situation, at least, no worse than if Saddam had been left in power. At some point, other news will drive Iraq of the front page and some politican will declare "we won".

At the start of the war, "win" was defined as finding a destroying the WMD stockpiles. Since they did not exist, that war can never be "won".

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

It was kind of gratifying to see the news reports that the soldiers/marines that massacred a couple of dozen innocent civilian men, women, and children are being prosecuted as the criminals that they are.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

[....]

I find it more sad than gratifying. Niether the murders or the cover up should not have happened. The coverup is doubly troubling because it can't be the rash act of a few people who broke under the pressure.