OT: Spanish-American War debt finally paid off

They've finally stopped collecting the excise tax originally put in place to finance the Spanish American War:

How long do you think we will be paying for Iraq and Iran?

------------------------------------------------------------------ Only through suffering comes wisdom. -- Zeus

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Get a life. War is good for the economy ;-)

...Jim Thompson

You're taking Iran to be a dead cert then ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Not this kind.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

As expensive as the war is, the costs pale compared to those of Social Security and--the even-larger pink elephant in the living room that no one wants to talk about--Medicare.

Fortunately, Congress has a solution:

CONGRESS: "Hey, I know--let's import a bunch of poor people to displace native workers, drive down wages, and gobble up social services." CHORUS: "That's a TERRIBLE idea!" CONGRESS: "Great, let's do it!"

Meanwhile, our current personal income tax was originally passed to pay for the same war--will we be terminating that too?

Grins, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Yes. If Israel hasn't ordered us in yet, they will soon.

Porsche: If I went any faster, I\'d have to eat airline food.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Bloody crazy. Without its own nukes Israel would be signing its death warrant. The Jewish state is every bit as bad these days ( if not worse ) as they've made the Arabs out to be.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

They've had them for 20 years or so. Google for Vannunu.

Reply to
Paul Burke

Oh I know.

Yup. I'm familiar. He was duped into leaving the UK by Mossad.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com...

Until the Saudi Oil runs out and the US does not need that particular pusher anymore for it's fix - about 2025 *if* the Saudis did not lie about the reserves; 2015 would be better. The sooner, the better, IMO.

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

Many have already paid the ultimate price - their lives. )-;

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

Lighten up on Jim. He's clearly psychotic and in need of medical attention.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

I will, when I'm elected by write-in. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippi

Good Rich, but I'm a little leery of your position on tobacco...can we at least compromise and agree on eliminating subsidies? Say 'yes, brother' and you've got my vote ;-)

Best, James

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

====================================== The ratio of Iraqian to American lives is about 1000 to 1.

Are American lives more valuable than Iraqian? Or Afghanistani?

Reply to
Reg Edwards

Ask your insurance company. Ever heard of "future earnings" analysis in a civil wrongful death suit?

...Jim Thompson

The Jewish

Arabs out to

I don't disagree with that last statement. But its not about Israel having their own nukes (they do). Its about them destabilizing their neighbors (or getting us to do it for them) in order to maintain their political position in the mid-east. And its not Israel in general that I have a problem with. Its their right wing fanatics and their inability to keep them from running the show.

Itzhak Rabin was close to negotiating peace with the Palestinians (the Oslo Accords*) with the majority support of his country. A right wing Jewish fanatic assassinated him in 1995 and, rather than pursue the wishes of the majority, the gov't kow-towed to the desires of a fanatical minority. What democracy would allow a fanatical minority to fashion its foreign policy with tools like assassinations?

*Its interesting to note that the one significant Israeli-Palestinian peace treaty NOT hosted by the USA was also potentially the most successful. It seems to indicate that the USA is not 'in bed' with Israel in general, but with its fanatical factions.
Porsche 928: 0 to c in 2.125 years, 2.435 light-years per mile^3 of gas
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

That ratio would represent 10% of all of Iraq's people, killed. It isn't true.

No, of course not. That's not the question though.

It's a war. Eventually the side taking the greatest losses gives, or is wiped out. Would you, for fairness' sake, have us order our guys to die more often? It's hard to see how that would help. Besides, that's not how you win.

The object is not to die for your country, but to get the other poor sonafabitch to die for his.

Best, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

warrant. The Jewish

Arabs out to

I'm in agreement with you there. An inherent problem with any system that allows so much power to be in the hands of a politician. Once the psychopaths are in charge it's a disaster.

Yes indeed.

That's politics for you !

Oslo. Yes.

Like every country, most Israeli citizens are I'm sure perfectly decent ppl.

In a similar vein the US should stop demonising certain Arab countries !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Subsidies? Hell, get rid of _ALL_ of the "subsidies". That's just Uncle Sugar Daddy stealing your pay to give handouts to the rich fat white guys.

I've found out that the IRS is under the purview of the executive branch, so the President has the power to fire the whole thing with a stroke of the pen.

Let the bureaucrats beg for their money in the streets, like normal people have to do.

Vote NONE OF THE ABOVE: Write In Richard M. Grise in 2008!