OT: Spacesuit gloves

Well, there is some marginal metal content, and even a little electronics, depending on your POV on waldos or servos.

Does anybody remember back in the 1950's when there were hundreds of suggested designs for spacesuits? I remember one where, instead of gloves at the ends of the arms, it had sort of a tool chuck, that you could put any space tool onto, and your hand was in a little control box at the end of the sleeve, with waldo-type controls or whatever ventriloquists have up their dummy's ass. ;-)

Did they decide on a hockey glove instead because the interchangeable manipulator idea would be prohibitively expensive?

What about an "Ove-Glove" with a teflon and kevlar outer glove? It'd sure be less unwieldy than a hockey glove!

Any discussion, or should I slink back to my oubliette? ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

now they have CANADARM for things like that.

any glove used needs to work with a 20kPa overpressure inside (or worse if the don't use pure oxygen)

I think much of the bulk is the arrangemnets that keep the volume constant as the fingers are flexed, there's also a lot of insulation there.

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to