OT: Rust Removal

Does anyone have a favorite rust remover that can be used for removing rust due to water damage from a metal enclosure, but which wont damage any lettering on the enclosure?

Also, what about rust residue on PCBs? I've used WD-40 and a toothbrush in the past, followed by a trip through the dishwasher (after removing sensitive parts) and it seemed to work OK, but I don't know if this is the best option.

Reply to
bitrex

My favorite is a product called EvapoRust. It is neutral pH and won't dissolve oil and grease, so I doubt it will harm lettering. Soak overnight at room temperature, or heat to 150-180 F if you are in a hurry (but that might soften and damage lettering). Web site is

Harbor Freight used to have the gallon size in their stores but haven't looked in a while, and I think auto parts stores like AutoZone and Advanced Auto carry it. Won't take scale off of hot rolled mild steel but does a great job on cold rolled, just wash with soap first to get rid of any oil or grease. I've used it on lots of small pieces that fit in a 5 gallon bucket, and that one bucket cleaned an amazing amount of steel. Just keep reusing it, and add water to make up for evaporation as needed. The web site shows using cloth wet with EvapoRust and covered with plastic sheet to clean large panels but I've always been able to submerge the pieces so can't say how that would work, if your enclosure is too big. If I had to do a bigger piece I'd put it in a child's swimming pool or make a basin from a plastic drop cloth arranged to form a sump in one corner, and use a little pond pump to continuously flow solution over the piece, moving the hose as needed. [Back to lurking ...]

----- Regards, Carl Ijames

Does anyone have a favorite rust remover that can be used for removing rust due to water damage from a metal enclosure, but which wont damage any lettering on the enclosure?

Also, what about rust residue on PCBs? I've used WD-40 and a toothbrush in the past, followed by a trip through the dishwasher (after removing sensitive parts) and it seemed to work OK, but I don't know if this is the best option.

Reply to
Carl Ijames

what's in it?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I usually use Naval Jelly, but that's phosphoric acid, and so probably not nearly as gentle. Have to get some Evaporust.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I've had great success with Whink Rust Stain Remover. BUT, BUT It says, Use only on white porcelain. I didn't follow the rules, I didn't have any negative consequences for my uses. It's kinda magical, rust just disappears on contact, no scrubbing. Your experience may vary, pretest. Use only according to directions. Or else... Available at Walmart.

Mikek

amdx

There's a lot of very convincing stuff on Youtube about using molasses, but AIUI it takes a couple of weeks.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

The MSDS and SDS claims it's a non-toxic chelating agent. This article claims it might be ethylenediamine as a chelating agent: I would be more inclined to guess a food safe acid, such as citric acid, oleic acid, or possibly oxalic acid. I could probably work it out knowing the concentration is

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Is that oxalic acid (what's found in rhubarb leaves)? It's been the traditional anti-rust stain compound of choice for a very long time.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I used Corrosionx rust remover recently. Worked great. Not sure about the lettering issue. You can order directly from their web site

Chisolm
Republic of Texas
Reply to
Joe Chisolm

The MSDS and SDS claims it's a non-toxic chelating agent. This article claims it might be ethylenediamine as a chelating agent: I would be more inclined to guess a food safe acid, such as citric acid, oleic acid, or possibly oxalic acid. I could probably work it out knowing the concentration is

Reply to
Carl Ijames

I dunno about the name. Looking at the ingredients, it seems more of a lubricant and rust preventer, than a rust remover. Severely Hydrotreated Base Stock: 5 mg/m3 (oil mist) 65-75% Mineral Oil: 2 mg/m3 15% Hydrocarbon Solvent: 100 ppm (vapor) 7-10%

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Hydrofloric acid. Will etch glass. Awful stuff to get on your skin.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Have you tried a pencil eraser? If you have an eraser shield and a Bruning electric eraser, you can make almost any surface rust just vanish...

Reply to
whit3rd

To expand dcaster's response, Whink Rust Stain Remover contains Hydrofloric acid. Here's an MSDS.

It's a bit scary. Do as I said, "Use only according to directions. Or else..."

Mikek

amdx

Awful being the understatement of the century - untreated in a very short time and it can permeate the skin and cause bone damage leading to amputation or cardiac arrest or a number of other nasty problems.

Places working with HF have treatment stations containing calcium gluconate or other neutralising agents.

Reply to
Tim Watts

There are several different products.

Whink Rust Stain Remover (brown bottle) is dilute hydrofluoric acid; some versions seem to have denatonium benzoate as well.

Whink Rust and Iron Stain Remover (white bottle, blue label) looks fairly gentle by comparison... sodium bisulfate, sodium hydrosulfate, salt, sodium carbonate, and citric acid, or similar combinations depending on version.

Whink Rust Oxy (white bottle, lighter-blue label) is similar to Whink Rust and Iron Stain Remover, and adds boric acid. It seems odd that they'd be advertising a "supercharged oxygenated" formula for getting rid of rust stains, since rust is oxidized iron... IIRC you usually want a reducing agent to deal with rust stains (hence, citric acid).

Reply to
Dave Platt

All I can say is that it worked for me. I used it on some tractor parts. I've used their corrosion prevention stuff before.

--
Chisolm
Republic of Texas

Oh, I saw a video where... (I can't recall her name, a geeky women how hacks stuff) used something like that to etch the oxide off of Si wafers and make devices.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Jeri Ellsworth, I assume

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Although steel contains carbon, it does not contain it in chemically pure form. I don't know what ends up from dissolving cementite (Fe3C) [1].

But, the other half of this observation seems to suggest the clue: the stuff doesn't work well on magnetite, Fe3O4. Which is a quite stable form of iron oxide, a dense and strong crystal (of the spinel group), which easily forms in the reducing environment between crusty red rust and underlying metal. This also explains why it doesn't work well on scale, which is predominantly magnetite (or a mixture with iron -- FeO can form at high temperatures, but it actually disproportionates into Fe and Fe3O4 when cooled without quenching).

A mixture with a chelator or acid that *is* capable of dissolving Fe3O4 would seem to be suggested... but whether this is possible (without just blasting the shit out of it with very low pH, as is the conventional approach in steelworks), I don't know.

It's noteworthy to begin with, that ferric iron (as oxide or hydrate) can be dissolved much at all, with anything besides strong acid. On the scale of soluble materials, Fe(OH)3 is in the ten-to-the-minus-thirty range. So insoluble, its salts are mild acids to begin with, and form a turbid solution in water.

[1] It would appear the reaction is generally complete:
This says, at least for the case with nitric acid, the carbon is at least hydrogenated, and partially oxidized, so that everything from hydrocarbons to CO2 can be expected. Fascinating. Presumably, one should expect only hydrocarbons, alkenes, alcohols and such from non-oxidizing acids. (A small fraction of which will be bonded with phosphorus and sulfur, giving rise to some very pungent compounds, responsible for the characteristic odor of dissolved or burnt metal.)

It's also noteworthy that nanotubes and buckyballs (and hybrids thereof) have been reported from certain alloys, e.g. supposedly a characteristic of the famous Damascus steel. One would suppose, in whatever form the carbon is held already, it retains its carbon-carbon bonds, while all the now-vacant bonds to iron atoms have been either hydrogenated, hydrated, left hanging (and folding back to form additional C-C and C=C bonds) or oxidized (as with nitric).

Tim (amateur metallurgist in a previous life)

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation