OT: Recent Politics of the Absurd

Yes, of course. But in the culture at the time, literacy was greatly prized. Now it is considered a nuisance.

?-) ==========================================

It's even worse than you think.

Tom Miller

But wait,

will ship

pipeline.)

guy had

the Mexican prison by accident is ignored. Think someone is laughing?

+1

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

rote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

il.com

ual

hat's

eep.

hildren of the poor get educated - and that their parents get enough out o f social security that the kids end up sufficiently well-fed and health to take advantage of that education.

rwinists save themselves the effort by letting them all starve.

e market will do the job.

e market when it works, but they aren't as willing as the average capitalis t to sit back and tell themselves that it is working when it obviously isn' t.

hly feeding a house price bubble, and the banks threw themselves onto the t axpayer when their moronic antics drove them to the edge of bankruptcy in 2

008, after their bubble had burst.

person had to have actual experience at life first, so they refused to tea ch the young, considering the age of 35 suitable for education. It was Napo leon who invented education for the young, to brain wash soldiers for his a rmy. The practice went hand-in-hand with the rise of Nationalism.

fourteen to fifteen years of age, though many were older.

ered Cambridge.

But Bill, I've heard you giggling with glee in these forums that you live o n an isolated island, and don't have to suffer the consequences of your silly theories.

Reply to
haiticare2011

The failure of public schools in the US is testified in many places. I volunteered to tutor HS grads a while ago. You see, the community colleges won't let them in until they pass some tests, because many are useless despite the HS diploma. So I tutored in "fractions," something I learned as a kid in the 3rd and 4th grades. After talking for an hour and a half, it dawned on me gradually that they didn't know what a simple fraction WAS. Like you take 1/3 of 9 - what is the idea? They had no idea. So I was shocked, let me tell you. ANd I started a stealth poll, asking people in public places the question: "Hey, I'm sizing a rug, do you happen to know what 2/3 of 18 is?" Few could answer.

Holy shit. :) Public schools are the most destructive force in society today. Now Bill Gates wants to foist off a Common Core curriculum which increases ignorance exponentially.

Reply to
haiticare2011

You're lucky they let you tutor. I offered to teach, _for_free_, a technician course at the local community college, but was turned down because I didn't have a teaching certificate... never mind my BSEE from MIT and my MSEE from ASU. ...Jim Thompson

Den torsdag den 5. juni 2014 20.04.31 UTC+2 skrev Jim Thompson:

neither of those says anything about whether you are any good at teaching

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

That's what you get with unions. Protectionism.

Reply to
Tom Miller

I had past teaching experience at a private school for technicians... all my class (those that survived :-) got jobs at Motorola, Sperry or Honeywell (I personally hired the best student, Jim Foster, who stayed as my technician and documentation secretary for nearly 30 years). Most of my class were high school drop-outs... I even managed to teach them some rudimentary Algebra ;-)

Most of those who hold teaching certificates can't teach math other than reading from the book :-( ...Jim Thompson

Yep. The President of the NEA is on record as saying they'll worry about students as soon as they belong to the union :-( ...Jim Thompson

well.

d people have this ignorance as well. Their ignorance just more refined. It's as hard to define ignorance as it is to define intelligence.

Ignorance is defined by what the subject don't know - which means that you have to specify the area where the subject is either ignorant or knowledgea ble. It's much better defined than intelligence, but Jim Thompson seems to think that he can talk about "ignorance" in isolation, without specifying w hat the people to whom objects are ignorant about.

muses me... while watching some history about the Civil War... the letters from soldiers back to their families illustrate a greater literacy than we have today :-(

The truly ignorant soldiers from back then couldn't write, so we don't have their letters.

olunteered to tutor HS grads a while ago. You see, the community colleges won't let them in until they pass some tests, because many are useless des pite the HS diploma.

4th grades. After talking for an hour and a half, it dawned on me gradual ly that they didn't know what a simple fraction WAS. Like you take 1/3 of 9 - what is the idea? They had no idea.

eople in public places the question: "Hey, I'm sizing a rug, do you happen to know what 2/3 of 18 is?"

I'd certainly be surprised if somebody asked me that - I'd figure that they were nuts and give them a wide berth.

On a more general level, the US is a very unequal country, and people with lower social status rapidly learn not to risk looking clever in front of th eir betters

day. Now Bill Gates wants to foist off a Common Core curriculum which inc reases ignorance exponentially.

High levels of inequality in a society don't help the education system. It' s unlikely the Common Core curriculum will help the US much if it can't get it's income inequality back down the levels of the 1970, or lower.

ost_Always_Do_Better

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Nor does a teaching certificate.

Reply to
krw

Actually, a teaching certificate does certify a certain minimal competence.

No academic qualification tells the whole story, but they are better than nothing.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Maybe it was the "free" part that scared them off?

I didn't know that community colleges required a teaching certificate. My recollection is that teaching certificates are only required for public schools. What state was this in? May be a union thing.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

They were more interested in my Engineering license than my (nonexistent) teaching certificate when I looked into this.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Arizona. Yep, it's a union thing. ...Jim Thompson