Interesting picture

Laser beam reflected from the moon while in eclipse.

"I encourage you to check out this stunning photo taken by Dan Long capturing our recent laser ranging efforts during the April 15 lunar eclipse. This is a real photo, taken through a C-11 telescope with a focal reducer (700 mm, f/2)?the outgoing laser beam has not been artificially superimposed. Normally it is really difficult to get a picture of our faint beam heading toward the Moon, because the Moon is so glaringly bright. The eclipse provided a great photo-op, and also a means to test the hypothesis of dusty reflectors. To me, this shot is just gorgeous. But I have more invested in it than the average Joe: this picture serves as a visual representation of a key focus in my life over the last 14 years?so of course I?m enamored."

Mikek

amdx

I don't see the reflection, just the scatter from the incident beam.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I don't think the OP was talking about reflections. I think he meant it was difficult to see the incident beam in normal moonlight because it is so bright.

Anyway, it's hard to see 1-5 photons per pulse, unless they have one of your super optical receivers:

Steve Wilson

My mistake, but I don't know how you would see a difference between incoming and outgoing, other than knowing the pattern that the reflector reflects the light. Not knowing the position of the telescope relative to the beam also makes it... Anyway cool pic. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

On Monday, June 2, 2014 10:43:54 PM UTC-4, amdx wrote: reflects the light. Not knowing the position of the telescope relative

They always told me moonbeams are elusive. j

Reply to
haiticare2011

Not at all. Califironia even voted one governor. ...a couple of times.

Reply to
krw