OT: Question about Windows 10

Dude, you need to read the thread and understand the context. Your responses are completely off target. Do you really think I don't know how to use the zoom control???

Your first goal should be to learn what I mean by "that text" in the context of this discussion. Until you understand that you can't possibly make a useful contribution to this discussion.

Thank you.

--

  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

Win10 loves lots of RAM and HDD space and has dozens of Scheduled Tasks for self-maintenance. There are some gains to making it lean and faster but not much advantage unless you haven't spent the time it takes to learn how not to tweak systems.

It is easier to Tweak Win7 x64 or 8.1 x64 to be fast, clean and safe, I'd highly recommend it.

Here's a fairly lean Win7 x64 running a bunch of tabs in Firefox and Thunderbird (Moz mail) the CPU idles at 0% running the 8 CPU's at 25% clock speed with some stats shown on the desktop here. I have about 100 Apps installed. You may compare yours.

idle.bmp?dl=1

Reply to
Anthony Stewart

Yep. That's an endless battle between the proponents of portable web pages that display and function on any size or shape screen, versus the rigid authoritarian practitioners of style sheets which look good on the web designers machine, and nobody else's. Some things to try:

  1. In Firefox, try Reader View [F9]. Chrome and Edge have a plug in that does the same thing. The usual zoom controls work as expected: bigger smaller reset to default font size. Post and web page that doesn't enlarge properly and see if I can find a more elegant fix.
  2. In Win 10, try: Settings -> Ease of Access -> Magnifier One pill makes it bigger, one pill makes it smaller, and one pill does nothing at all. Enable the Magnifier on this page and play with the various 3 finger controls.
  3. Try one of the numerous "zoom" or "magnifier" add-ons for Firefox. Searching for "zoom" has become somewhat of an ordeal due to the Zoom.US conference system using the same name. Only 1455 hits to sift through.

CSS (cascading style sheets) is what caused the problem in the first place.

Now, I have a question. When I upgraded several Dell Precision M6800 machines from Win 7 to Win 10, the microphone and camera fail to be recognized and I couldn't find a suitable driver. Did you get them to work on Win 10 and where did you find a driver?

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Yep. However, these daze, I need something better. I've settled on Notepad++ It's mostly a source code editor, but with a hex editor plug-in, it can be used to edit binary files:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

I would offer you the same advice I gave to Stewart, look at the context of my comments. I was talking specifically about the mouse over text. I hav e no trouble using the zoom on the web page text, but the mouse over text i s not affected by the zoom. Even this is in the context of the web page, n ot so much the application controls. They are controlled by windows wide s ettings... if anything.

I bought the machine used with Win 10 Pro installed. I don't think they bo thered to get specific drivers for the hardware. I have no trouble with th e mic or camera and use them with Zoom and some commercial thing some of th e training or component vendors use for training events, I forget the name.

Either they did not come up with a keyboard driver or Dell doesn't understa nd that there is no point to turning off the keyboard LEDs when the screen is on. It times out after 5 seconds I believe and in the dark I can't find keys so have to palm swipe the touch pad.

Ever since they got rid of touch pad buttons I use a mouse, so the touchpad is turned off, but it still lights up the keyboard, thank goodness.

Sorry I could not be of help. Seems wiping the entire drive and installing a $50 copy of Win 10 is the thing to do when selling a used laptop.

I still haven't replaced the keyboard yet. I don't want to work on cars or computers anymore. I've done enough of both.

--

  Rick C.

  -+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

How big should System Volume Information be?

I notice the Optiplex 9010 uses 6G for the 32G Windows installation.

Are you using the System Restore function?

RL

Reply to
legg

Here's my usage. The total adds up to about 31GB but Windows reports 27GB used.

The problem with estimating space requirement is that Windows and apps keep accumulating large amounts of data outside user control.

Reply to
Pimpom

Windoze 10 "System Volume Information" is a hidden directory used to store System Restore Points and a bunch of other information. By default, Win 10 uses up to 10GB of diskspace for system restore points. That's enough for 2 or 3 restore points. You can limit how much space is used by System Restore with:

If you're desperate for additional disk space, you can delete all Restore Points:

Here's how to manipulate the "System Volume Information" directory:

In these days of huge drives and fast image backups, I don't worry much about diskspace (unless it becomes ridiculously huge). On most machines, I enlarge the Restore Point disk space usage to about 47GB (about 5% of a 1TB drive) because System Restore has saved my posterior more times than I care to admit. A large maximum size allows me to roll back Windoze over many more restore points than the usual (default) two or three. The problem this solves are applications that like to create a restore point before installation, before every update, and at seemingly random intervals for no apparent reason. The this does is fill the System Volume Information directory full of recent restore points, and discard the older restore points. It's not unusual for my customers to delay calling me several weeks when they have a problem which results in the restore points from before the problem arrived being erased to make room for new restore points with the problem.

That's a fairly recent Win 10 installation. It will use more disk space as the machine is used and I install more junk. It appears that update 2004 erased all the old restore points, which makes sense, as they probably would make a horrible mess if any were restored on an updated machine. I can't check that machine right now, but my guess is that it's set for 47GB maximum and currently contains one or two restore points.

Also, I just noticed a potential problem. I added a 2nd Dell Optiplex

9010 to the collection, which I had recently updated to 2004. There are no restore points saves, which is fine, but also the maximum size of the system protection directory is set to zero, which is a problem. If you've updated to 2004, it is worth checking the maximum size setting.

Yes. I rely on it to do damage control for customers. Over the years, my guess is that it has about a 50% success rate. That's not sufficient that I would solely rely on System Restore to resurrect the system, but is good enough for quick fixes. For example, yesterday, I made a mess of my Win 7 machine by installing two different Renesas (Toshiba) USB 3.0 drivers at the same time. Uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers didn't work and made a mess. Rather than hacking the registry or restore everything from a backup, it was easier to do a System Restore from before I started juggling USB 3.0 cards and drivers. That worked.

Incidentally, think about installing an NAS (network attached storage) drive and using Windoze 10 "File History" to do continuous backups: It's quite handy if all you need restored is a file or two.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

This is what you asked: "I'd like to find a way of enlarging the text so it is easier to read. Seems that text does not get enlarged when using the zoom to read web pages. I found a page that talked about a CSS file in Firefox, but I was not able to make this work. I would expect that same approach might turn off or make the text small enough to not be a problem."

I don't see any mention of mouse over text. I also asked for an example web page where: "...text does not get enlarged when using the zoom to read web pages"

Thanks. That's what I need to know. The mic and camera should work with Win 10 Pro and I probably did something wrong.

I haven't checked the keyboard LED's. I'll be playing with the machines in about a week and will let you know how they act. Meanwhile, maybe this will help: "How to resolve LED issues with your Backlit Keyboard using the latest Dell Utility"

I've tried almost every possible type of mouse, touchpad, touch screen, trackball, eye tracker, joystick, stylus, and digitizer tablet. For CAD, I learned with a digitizer table, which is what I use today. For everything else, I usually end up using a mouse.

You don't need the $50 copy of Win 10 if you have a valid Win 7 or Win

8.1 product key. Just download the "media creation tool" from Microsoft, and make yourself some DVD or flash drive installation media. When it asks for a product key, either tell it you don't have a product key, which can be installed later, or type in the Win 7 or 8.1 product key. Saying you don't have a product key has a few advantages. You get to try Win 10 on the machine before you lock the serial number to that particular machine. You also get a menu during installation which offers to install various Win 10 "Editions" such as Home, Pro, S, N, education, mobile, etc. I might drop a new SSD into one of the problem machines, clean install v2004, and see if the mic and keyboard work. If so, I'll copy the necessary drivers and make the necessary registry changes. Seems like less work that reinstalling a fair number of big programs.

Maybe find a hobby. I'm trying to learn knife making and sharpening. After a day or two of cutting myself and spraying grinder dust everywhere, cars, electronics, and computers are looking better.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

System Volume Information won't report on it's file size to a simple rt-click properties inquiry - so thanks for the File Tree link.

I've never been able to reconcile disk usage with actual files and folders before, though not without trying. Have had to move stuff out of the root partition of fair-sized hard drives with much disgruntlement.

Current main machine is a simple Lenovo refurb (W7) on which File Tree reported SVI at over 140G, in the root's 360G partition. The system restore file size limit had been set to 100% . . . .How and why I'll never know.

I suspect system recovery has a fair part of responsibility for windoze's purported reputation for improved 'stability'. RL

Reply to
legg

You can also do it from the command prompt.

First change the ACL (access control list) for the current user to allow reading the System Volume Information directory tree: CACLS "C:\System Volume Information" /E /T /G user:R Where "user" is your username and "R" means "read only" At this point, you can do some real damage, so be careful.

Run a directory listing from the command prompt with "Run as Administrator": DIR "C:\System Volume Information" /S /A Where /s means recurse through the directory try and /a means show all file types including hidden and system.

This produces a list of files and their sizes.

When done, put the ACL back with: CACKS "C:\System Volume Information" /E /T /R user Where "user" is again the current user name.

There's also the new and improved ICACLS program, which I'm too lazy to learn right now.

I do ok using TreeSize Free as long as a remember to run it as administrator. If I forget, it doesn't include some system files and directories in the count.

It might not be the various System Restore points that are using all that space. My guess(tm) is it also might be the Volume Shadow Copy backups, which can save VSS snapshots of your data and can easily grow to gargantuan sizes. Try: vssadmin list shadowstorage Some details:

It might, but I would take a closer looks a Volume Shadow Copy and other backup mechanisms.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Oops. Bad choice of links for Volume Shadow Copy. Instead, see: "3. Clear System Volume Information Folder With Disk Cleanup"