OT: Question about Windows 10

To those who've been using Windows 10 for some time, I'd like to request a simple answer to a straightforward question, particularly those who keep their OS drive mostly free of all kinds of junk. By junk, I mean things like user-generated data, big games, My Documents, hibernation file, large amounts of unsorted files on the desktop - that kind of stuff.

The question is: How much disk space have you used so far for the OS (including pagefile) and installed programs? It will help if you indicate the type of programs you install.

Reply to
Pimpom

The largest application I have are the FPGA development tools using 24 GB f or the downloads and another 5 GB installed. KiCad (PCB layout) is 6 GB. The grand total of files in my work directory is 8 GB (a fair amount of tha t is simulation results which are a PITA to clean up). My old emails (alon g with the new) are 7 GB.

Windows directory is 25 GB with some 5 GB of memory.dmp. The hiberfil.sys is 13 GB, pagefile.sys is 10 GB.

I'm surprised to say I have almost 11 GB of photos. There is 18 GB of "app data". But the grand prize winner for the most data in any one folder on m y hard drive is my video collection. For when the Internet is down I have every episode of The Mentalist, Foyle's War, Red Dwarf, Rumpole of the Bail ey and Better Call Saul not to mention an assortment of interesting movies and such with a grand total of 269 GB!

I didn't realize.

Managing your storage is made easier by SpaceSniffer. A great program for viewing your drive usage visually.

  Rick C.

  -++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Ricketty C

Thanks for the reply. What I really wanted to know was the space taken up by Windows 10 itself plus installed software. That includes whatever data is generated by Windows and the programs, specifically those that cannot be saved in other partitions.

I always disable hibernation, therefore no hiberfil.sys file. I save My Documents and user generated data in partitions other than the OS partition. Videos, software backups, photos, simulations, schematics and PCB designs, games, music files, etc. all reside in non-OS partitions too.

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and have filled about half of the 50GB OS (C:) partition. I wanted to be able to estimate how big I should make the OS partition when I change to Windows 10.

Two of my sons, a nephew next door and I caught a burglar a couple of hours ago just as I was getting ready for bed. It's 5 am now and I'm finally going to bed. I'll check tomorrow for to see if there are further replies.

Reply to
Pimpom

Good timing. I have four Win 10 machines on my bench (formerly known as my desk), which I'm currently working on. All have updated to v2004 including subsequent patches, fixes, correction, and damage control. I've cleaned out some (not all) of the junk using Glary Utilities: Not included are directories full of program installation files, movies, music, and other forms of personal bloat.

C:\windows.old has been removed (typically about 30GB).

Some of the following is guesswork, but probably within +/-0.5GB.

Optiplex Optiplex Veritron Veritron 9010 780 N2620G #1 N2620G #2

Win 10 28.2GB 37.0GB 24.1GB 26.2GB Office 2010 1.5GB Utilities 1.0GB 0.5GB 0.5GB 0.5GB Downloads 3.0GB 0.5GB 0.5GB 0.3GB

Note that MS claims Win 10 will run in 20GB of hard disk space. and then changed it to 32GB: Add another 1GB to the minimum disk space required to include the two

500MByte partitions that MS reserved for undoubtedly nefarious purposes.

Well, if you insist: There are about 30 more programs and utilities that I will probably install as needed.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I keep my Library, Swap File and OS on separate disks with multiboot and Libraries that can be shared by any OS.

Directory \Windows size

Win7 x64 17GB active 0~2% CPU on idle Win8 x64 19GB for test only Win 10 25GB deleted ugh

RAM 16GB SWAP 2GB ~ 16GB max

4x dual-core i7

3 HD's 2TB , 3TB, 4TB each split into 3 or 4 partitions with backups.

- file Search with Everything (voidtools)

- View with Treesize.exe (free)

26GB \Program Files 8GB \Program Files (x86) 29GB \Users
Reply to
Anthony Stewart

This might be more interesting. It's the output of TreeSize Free for my Optiplex 9010:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Pimpom wrote in news:CQqGG.3997$t27.1950 @fx34.ams1:

I am on a 16GB Xeon with an Nvidia Quadro. My drive is filling up because I do not manage my downloads directory often enough.

My swap is set at 8192 MB.

I run the most advanced 3D CAD package out there, Siemens' Solid Edge. I experience few if any slowing in operations. I run VLC to decode movie files and music videos and for streaming audio. Not much to process really. It runs under Ubu and BSD real good to. I also have WSL 2 installed with Ubuntu 20.xx in it.

A good test is large file copy to USB stick. That is when one sees what happens when hundreds of megabytes of original file content goes to RAM, then off to the USB, then gets verified chunk by chunk. The differences between watching Windows XX do it and Linux flavor and BSD gives one insight as to which has the most "desktop overhead" for just about anything involving large chunks of data to be read or written or trudged through for some bit of transformed data. Another good test is to play different sized movie files in VLC player, which is a front end for the Windows version of ffmpeg decode library.

Hi Res movies are always fun. When I DL a 2GB movie it is nice, but when I grab one of the 5 or 6GB files, the movie looks SWEET, and the audio is spot on, but I see glitches on the TV processing it, but not on my Laptop. Every now and then it hiccups, but rarely. So I only grab the larger size on the longer movie titles.

Like I got the 5GB version of Cleopatra, because it is such a long movie.

I like getting a good quality file because the streaming services, even when you "buy" the title, delivers a low resolution downressed hack of a good quality version.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Jeff Liebermann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yeah, but are they all Windows 10 Pro for Workstations level? Anything else is handcuffed in one way or another, as I am sure you are aware.

How did you know there was "junk"? Did "Glary" tell you?

Both my Lenovo Laptops are As built full installs of Windows 10 Pro for Workstations. No Windows.old directory.

Or to spark nefarious guesses as to what they are for.

Remember "list"?

Man was that ever a good file "viewer" "manager".

Remember "Timeset"?

I called NIST on almost every machine I worked on back then to set their clocks.

Those were the days...

"BBS? We don' need no stinkin' BBS! We have the Internet now!"

So you can count on the fact that the Internet clock setting programs are WAY OFF what Timeset did. I would see a different time every time I ran one.

Nowadays, I guess your time gets set by MS when it dials home as you boot up... (did I say that out loud?)

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

John Doe wrote in news:ieAGG.28195$ snipped-for-privacy@fx03.iad:

Yes, but WHICH Windows 10?

Pro? Pro for Workstations?

There is a difference.

If you are running Fusion 360, you should be on Pro at the least and Pro for Workstations Ideally.

It is not "a RAM drive". It would be presumed that you refer to a Solid State Drive (SSD), but you should actually write that.

No Shirt, Shitlock.

That is where you music and videos and movies and Documents should be being backed up at. And a nice system backup too.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

The streaming video glitches can vary from latency, Codec addon setup or oc casional scrolling Vertical Sync aliasing (29.x Hz vs 60Hz)or BIOS GPU sy stem buffer vs dedicated GPU RAM buffer, Video resolution, and OS DPC, Inte rrupts and Cswitch Delta/second based on number of Processes running etc.

It's hard to diagnose by crystal ball.

-------

GLARY tools have improved a lot.

QDOS 3.0 from Provo, Utah was the best File Manager for us at Burroughs in WPG. and QMODEM the best-scripted Modem autodialer.

In the mid-'90s using DOS machines for production testing, it was a nuisanc e to get the Monday boot displayed as Sunday but every other day, rebooting the RTC clock would boot with the correct day.

oot up... (did I say that out loud?)

Time sync is scheduled weekly now and they tend to use > 50 ppm Xtals that aren't tuned very well. Perhaps Timeset was the App but I had one that com pensated for latency and sync'd within milliseconds.

Reply to
Anthony Stewart

occasional scrolling Vertical Sync aliasing (29.x Hz vs 60Hz)or BIOS GPU system buffer vs dedicated GPU RAM buffer, Video resolution, and OS DPC, In terrupts and Cswitch Delta/second based on number of Processes running etc.

in WPG. and QMODEM the best-scripted Modem autodialer.

nce to get the Monday boot displayed as Sunday but every other day, rebooti ng the RTC clock would boot with the correct day.

boot up... (did I say that out loud?)

t aren't tuned very well. Perhaps Timeset was the App but I had one that c ompensated for latency and sync'd within milliseconds.

I've been off cable TV for 10 yrs now with OTA antenna for live news and st reaming video for TV series and all the latest movies.

Fortunately downloading is legal in Canada, just not uploading/sharing copy right files.

STREMIO.exe works quite well (not perfect) on a 54" 1080p screen with addo ns on Win7 using

Reply to
Anthony Stewart

Yes. All 4 machines are Win 10 Pro. Installing Windoze 10 from scratch, using a DVD or flash drive produces and interesting menu during the initial installation. It asks the installer which Win 10 Edition is to be installed. It included Home, Pro, N, S, Mobile, and some educational flavors. Note that you have to tell it "I don't have a product key" in order to get the menu.

Yes. Glary Utils are not as aggressive as some cleanup utilities such as CCleaner Free. For example, it leaves a few days worth to temporary files behind. I've been using it for housekeeping for I don't know how many years and have yet to have it vaporize anything of importance or found a need to restore anything. Well, maybe one user who liked to store important files in the Recycle Bin and didn't tell me about it.

You only get c:\windows.old if you do an upgrade. Factory installs and fresh installs will not have a c:\windows.old directory tree.

Perhaps it's a good place to store your life's history, your personal information, your shopping habits, your passwords, your browsing habits, and whatever else Microsoft find useful. Plenty of speculation available online. Enjoy:

Yep. I used it often, especially to inspect file headers and binaries.

Nope. I used a free program from Symmetricom. These days, I use pool.ntp.org and Meinberg to sync time for WSJT-X ham radio software:

I've been doing this for about 30 years. I still have all my old DOS utilities saved somewhere... digging... digging deeper... I give up. A few that I wrote: Crud: Fills your screen with random characters: Fonebell: To play *.COM programs, you'll need either a genuine DOS machine, or a DOS emulator, such as DOSbox.

inhp4, fidonet, uunet, packet radio, etc. Plenty of alternatives to BBS's were available.

I had a GPS clock in my office. When satellites would disappear momentarily, my software would set the time to 00:00:00, which did funny things to logging, cron, and anything that needed a date stamp.

Nope. It checks only every 7 days. For Windoze 10, the NTP server is set in the registry to time.windows.com. However, you can still change it using the old Control Panel -> Date & Time -> Internet Time -> Change Settings -> enter "pool.ntp.org" -> Update Now (to see if it works) If you have problems, turn on NTP logging:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Balloon Tips

How can I prevent Windows 10 from showing a Balloon Tip above my cursor?

I tried for years, reading advice that fails.

Reply to
omnilobe

I'm not sure what balloon tips are. Are you talking about mouse over text? Mouse over text pops up if your mouse hovers over a feature for some time , maybe a half second or so. I notice in the FireFox browser the mouse ove r text is pretty much instant. When my cursor is over the "Post Reply" but ton the mouse over text immediately shows "Post Reply". Very informative, lol. Odd that there is no mouse over text at all for Post or Discard.

Is this what you are asking about or are "balloon tips" something special i n Microsoft apps? I don't use those.

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

Holy crap! The OS absolutely nuts. Lots of junk, everything moving all over the place.

Reply to
Robert Baer

t? Mouse over text pops up if your mouse hovers over a feature for some ti me, maybe a half second or so. I notice in the FireFox browser the mouse o ver text is pretty much instant. When my cursor is over the "Post Reply" b utton the mouse over text immediately shows "Post Reply". Very informative , lol. Odd that there is no mouse over text at all for Post or Discard.

in Microsoft apps? I don't use those.

Yes, "mouse over text".

For example, when I put the mouse cursor over text that reads sci.physics, a visual block appears just above the cursor, covering up what I want to read next. That new information that pops onto my video monitor fails to provide any "tips" or new information. How can I eliminate the pop up box of text?

Reply to
omnilobe

:

ext? Mouse over text pops up if your mouse hovers over a feature for some time, maybe a half second or so. I notice in the FireFox browser the mouse over text is pretty much instant. When my cursor is over the "Post Reply" button the mouse over text immediately shows "Post Reply". Very informati ve, lol. Odd that there is no mouse over text at all for Post or Discard.

al in Microsoft apps? I don't use those.

I'd like to find a way of enlarging the text so it is easier to read. See ms that text does not get enlarged when using the zoom to read web pages. I found a page that talked about a CSS file in Firefox, but I was not able to make this work. I would expect that same approach might turn off or mak e the text small enough to not be a problem.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

There are many ways to change the zoom settings in FIREFOX. Sorted by easy 1st.

1) Ctrl + mousewheel Up (I have 10% increments) (saved unique for each per tab ) 2) Firefox > Tools> Options or address... about:preferences (enter) scroll down then choose default Zoom Options incl. [ ] txt only 3) Tool menu > Options > customize menubar and drag "-100%+" zoom icon beside your addressbar. 4) address> about:config (enter) (SHOW ALL) enter zoom to search for "zoom"

Cheers

Tony Stewart There's more but that ought to do it.

Reply to
Anthony Stewart

Jeff Liebermann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It was great for looking at the contents of a file without actually "opening" it.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:59bccdfa-961d-4127-8144- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Tell MicroSoft to stop using them. I guarantee that if they change their paradigm, your Whine-o-digm will get fixed.

Good luck with that.