OT: Problems with Mozilla Firefox

Everything is AOK now.

I got the Quicktime "courtesy" of the iTunes installation when I got myself an iPOD along with the ones I bought for the grandkids (and one daughter) at Christmas.

Didn't note any particular problem until I installed Firefox.

Although, come to think of it, the TIFF viewer (AlternaTIFF) for the USPTO site started acting flaky even with IE.

...Jim Thompson

Why is it that anyone would even want an "integrated" tool? Sounds like jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none ;-)

I use Eudora v3.0.5 for E-mail, Agent v1.93 for News and Firefox v1.03 to browse.

...Jim Thompson

I got the iPOD for myself, to listen to books. When I'm flying it's virtually impossible to get enough knee room to do any work on the PC... unless I'm Europe-bound, then I fly Business Class. So I listen to books... "da Vinci Code" right now... but I don't use those damned little button ear pieces... I use active noise canceling earphones that cover my ears ;-)

If I want to listen to music I go fire up the 300-CD "juke box" ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I have a peek-up truck for hauling, and a Q45 for driving ;-)

What's a "Wiki"?

That's why I'm sort of married to PSpice... comfort, and I don't have to learn a new tool.

If I can organize a BBQ here next Fall I'll show you what a REAL tool can do (with some embellishments from me and my oldest son :-)

...Jim Thompson

On my system, I've found the exact opposite to be true. I used to use Mozilla, and got tired of it crashing every second day or so, so I downloaded and installed Firefox. After switching, I recently got a run of 18 days of up time without Firefox or XP crashing, which is a record for me. And I had Firefox open that whole 18 days. The random OS crashes that I couldn't correlate to anything in particular have almost stopped as well.

Reply to
Carl D. Smith

I'm currently using Firefox on Xandros (a Linux variant) and that PC has been running for a month or so without rebooting.

Pearce Consulting

Don Pearce

Joerg, Aren't you in the Nevada City/Grass Valley area?

_Potentially_ I will have a new Sacramento client in the next week or so, so I might be up that way.

...Jim Thompson

where do you get audio books to download to an ipod?

Mark

Reply to
Mark

This is interesting:

There's a lot of really useful stuff here. I'd contribute, but the authoring stuff is, so far, unintelligable to me.

John

Hello Jim,

Way to go. I don't know how serious these warnings are. SW makers try to create a fear in us that the whole world is going to implode if we take their SW off the PC.

Even with cookie deletion I had that. "Your PC might not function properly or at all if you click Yes.... blah, blah, blah". I got pretty good in ignoring that stuff.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello John,

AFAIK that can be done with Mozilla by not enabling "Check email server every x many minutes for mail". Then it should only show anything when you deliberately open mail and after clicking "Get Msgs".

I usually like that feature though, especially when waiting for feedback from a client after I sent them a schematic. It's just a small blue message blurb, no sound (I disabled these) and not in the browser window.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

You're so . . . analog!

--
Barry
Reply to

Don't feel bad! You might actually be doing yourself a favor by not getting involved with mp3. There is more than a little scuttlebutt going around the medical circles about how mp3 is bad for your hearing. The reasoning is that mp3 gains its compression by deleting quieter sounds that are supposedly masked by louder sounds. This apparently messes with the ear's mechanism for protecting itself against damage from loud sounds, and damage is done.

Just because the quieter sounds (that are deleted) aren't consciously perceived doesn't mean that they aren't being heard.

-Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Harris

The last time I had to use for some crappy file Quicktime change attributes to itself for any file it can open, without asking permission during installation. I had to manually change everything back the way I wanted, and I dumped QT.

--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You know, that's just like the WMP install, I deselect .wav files and then it goes ahead and re-associates them anyway. Yeah, like I want to load a 8MB plus player for a 32k sound file! I re-associate these with sndrec32 and if some S.O.B. has turned on the 'protect' function for a file they don't own, well that's just fodder for the trash can.

Reply to
Lord Garth

Hello Jim,

Now I start to feel old. Everybody seems to have an iPod these days. Even our president does. I just can't bring myself to wearing some gizmo that plays music. Never had a walkman or discman either.

However, we have a piano that sounds just like the ones in the old saloons and is about as old, then a guitar and a Hammond organ. None of these can read MP3...

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Jim,

Creature comfort I guess. Probably for the same reason that people buy cars such as pickups and Burbans. Hauls the family, hauls lots of stuff, hauls the firewood, pretty much everything.

My expectations with respect to software are modest. It doesn't need to be master. Integration allows Wiki storage. Everytime I tried that with separate SW for read and write I either couldn't do both at the same time or the PC would hang if I accessed the same file, which you have to with a Wiki.

With CAD it's similar. I love Cadsoft Eagle. If you find that something doesn't pan out too well in the layout or could pose an EMI issue you can change it right then. No need to edit and run a new netlist. It'll keep schematic and layout in sync at all times.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Jim,

Country folk out here often do with just one vehicle. Either a crew cab full size truck with dual tires, Cummins turbo, illuminated running boards and the whole works, or just a "Texas Cadillac". It used to be the El Camino but that doesn't really work for people with lots of kids.

In this case just an "internal web site" where information I come across is entered and browsed at the same time. Wiki is, I believe, Hawaiian for "quick" since it is pretty much the fastest way to collect technical information and have it available instantly. The term is often used on the web for sites where everyone can browse and contribute.

I would, too. Don't mess with a running system...

That sounds great.

Now I'll have to tend to the Weber over here. We'll have ribs tonight, rain or shine. Plus a Merlot and later a Spaten Optimator Bock.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Firefox is worth it for it's control-F alone.

Combine that with a few control-Ts and it's easy to cross-refer documentation.

Cheers Robin

Reply to
robin.pain

I read in alt.binaries.schematics.electronic that Chuck Harris wrote (in ) about 'OT: Problems with Mozilla Firefox', on Sun, 24 Apr 2005:

Can you cite any papers or web articles, please? At first sight, and even at second, this sounds daft. The audio waveform has a **single** value at any instant and deleting a quieter sound 20 dB down just reduces the waveform amplitude by 10% = 1 dB.

'What is a Moebius strip?'
John Woodgate