PCB Etching (again!) - chemicals used

Hi everyone, again,

sorry to bother this group again -- it's just the most suitable I've found for my questions. :-)

Anyway, I'm a tad curious about the two different chemicals I use to make PCBs - I never did much chem in high school, so I'm a bit weak in that area.

1) I'm not sure what exact chemical I use to develop my boards, but it's part of the Kinsten range of products for hobbyist PCB manufacture, and it's called "Developer DP-50". Anyway, it says that it only has an 8-hour life once combined with water, but I've read mixed reports on the 'net as to if you can use it after that or not. Any ideas? I'm just trying to save a bit of cash, because I don't want to have to use up a new sachet of developer every time I make a PCB (even though I've probably only used 5% of its potential).

2) I use Ammonium Persulphate to etch my boards, using (once again) a Kinsten etching tank. Now, because this stuff is a lot more potent, I've read that you're not supposed to store it at all, and discard after use. Here, again, it's the same question -- can I store it and re-use it? otherwise, I'm throwing out a lot of good etchant. I've poured one lot that I used in a clear plastic bottle, and it's kept for about a week - it was slightly blue when it came out of the tank, but I think that's 'cos of the copper, right? Anyway, it seems to be the same

- any reason I can't reuse this?

3) again with the Ammonium Persulphate, when would I know to discard the solution? I've read that it's when it goes blue, but how blue is blue? :-) Are there any other indicators I can use (besides it not etching anymore? :-P )

Oh, and if it's any help, here's the products I'm using, to give you an idea:

Cheers, thanks in advance for any help, and sorry if they're just stupid chem questions that most people would know as basic knowledge. :-)

Michael

Reply to
Michael

Save money and hassle. Buy pre-made developer in a bottle. If you ruin one PCB by mixing the developer wrong you undo your savings. BTW, you'll only need a little bit of developer every time.

I use ferric chloride which can be re-activated by adding hydrochloric acid (can be bought at any grocery store of pharmacist). I'm using the same etchant for over 15 years now.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

I read in sci.electronics.design that Nico Coesel wrote (in ) about 'PCB Etching (again!) - chemicals used', on Sat, 23 Apr 2005:

Where do you think all the copper went? Or do you make five boards a year? (;-)

You can't get back ferric chloride by adding HCl. What MAY be happening is that you are actually now using cupric chloride CuCl2 as the etchant. That gets converted to cuprous chloride Cu2Cl2 and you CAN convert that back with HCl.

\'What is a Moebius strip?\'
John Woodgate

Probably less... But I etched quite a large amount of boards over the years.

This is an ongoing discussion. However, the fact is that it works (the boards get etched).

Here is a snippet from an FeCl FAQ I put together almost a decade ago:

" Regenerating FeCl 'Regenerating' Ferric Chloride is quite simple, just add HCl (Hydrochloric acid).

Theory: According to my sources the following happens:

4FeCl3 dissolved in water gives: 4Fe3+ and 12Cl-

When the etching starts the copper is converted by this reaction:

4Fe3+ and copper (2Cu) gives: 4Fe2+ and 2Cu2+

(The HCl is actualy supplied as 4H3O+ and 4Cl- because it's dissolved in water)

When Oxygen is added to the etching bath the following happens:

4Fe2+ + 4H3O+ + O2 (atmospheric oxygen) gives 4Fe3+ + 6H2O

the last reaction shows that the 4Fe2+ ions are regenerated to 4Fe3+ (The ion which makes the etching process work.) As you can see the HCl is used and the Ferric Chloride is regenerated. "

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks (Nico Coesel) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.planet.nl:

How do you get the REMOVED COPPER(that came off your etched PCBs) out of your FeCl when "reactivating" it?

Where does it go?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

ruin

Ahh, fair enough -- any idea where to get stuff like that? I've just never seen it, although I do restrict all my google searches for PCB product purchases to "site:.au".

Also, you mention mixing the developer 'wrong' -- what ill effects does that have? I understand that if it's too strong it'll strip the stuff off too quickly, and potentially damages copper (is that right?), but most hobbyist sites say that the exact mix isn't really that important

-- as long as it's about 1:20 or so. (50g for 1L of water)

hydrochloric

the

ahh, excellent. Yeah, I've read that some people use FC, but a lot of other places recommend AP as it seems 'easier' to use. But if FC can be stored properly, I might make the switch... Is there anything important to know about storage? ie. a tightly sealed plastic bottle would do?

Cheers!

Michael

Reply to
Michael

is much

the

with

Use the

point is

before

than an

Hrm, that's good to know... do you know if it will work fine with the kinsten etching tank that I have (referenced in the link in my first post)? I don't see why it wouldn't, as it's all plastic (and glass, for the heater), I'm just led to believe that it's pretty nasty stuff (worse than ammonium persulphate) and I don't want to end up with nasty results. :-)

Cheers!

Michael

Reply to
Michael

It forms cupric chloride, eventually, which is an etchant in its own right.

Leon

--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller

Hey Michael, I used to use Ammonium Persulphate but Ferric Chloride is much better. I got 4L from a PCB maker but you can get it here

. I practice the same procedure as outlined here
but with the slight distinction that I warm up my FC to bath temp on the BBQ. Use the Press-n-Peel from Jaycar
and the main point is clean the board thoroughly with a cream cleanser like Jif or Ajax before ironing. The whole process from printing to drilled board is less than an hour.

Cheers.

Reply to
Chris

I read in sci.electronics.design that Nico Coesel wrote (in ) about 'PCB Etching (again!)

- chemicals used', on Sat, 23 Apr 2005:

You didn't mention the oxygen before. I'm still not convinced, because FeCl2 is not likely to reduce molecular oxygen, but that is more plausible.

\'What is a Moebius strip?\'
John Woodgate

as my

in the

feel

up OK.

printer

Yeap, I've actually made a nice UV light box from scrap bits of wood, with 4 x 15W UV tubes. Combined with my 1200 DPI laser printer, I can get 20mil spacings (8mil tracks with 12mil between) out pretty easily

-- it's just etching it that's the problem.

Cheers!

Michael

Reply to
Michael

great.

aquarium

temperature a

between

boards.

Ha -- I actually broke my heater for the Kinsten tank on Friday. (Left the water level slightly lower than 1000ml, and the top of the heater got too hot and cracken when [much] colder water splashed up on it.) I've ordered 2 more heaters for it -- I'll probably put one either side of the tank, to heat it twice as fast. ;-)

I was surprised you got an aquarium heater to get it to the temperatures required, though -- all the ones I've seen have thermostats which would limit the temperature to a much lower range. Did you get one and modify it? Or do you just etch at a cooler temperature? How much did it set you back?

Cheers, Michael

Reply to
Michael

Ahhh, fair enough. I don't actually check RS and farnell, much - their prices depress my poor uni student budget too much. ;-)

Hrm, that's interesting -- mine's definately not too strong, but I'm thinking it could be too weak. Some areas didn't develop properly, and I just presumed it wasn't exposed enough in my light box. Shouldn't it be the sort of thing that I can just leave it in the developer for longer if it isn't concentrated enough?

Ta, Michael

Reply to
Michael

I use Amonium Persulphate in a Kinsten etching tank and it works great. Made a couple of modifications though. Bought a higher wattage aquarium heater at the pet store so I can get the tank up to working temperature a lot faster and made a cover from 1/2" acrylic to reduce evaporation between sessions. I use the same solution for about a month etching 8 to 10 boards.

Takes about half a 1kg bottle of MG Chemicals amonium perulphate crystals to mix enough to fill the tank and it is FAR cleaner than feric chloride.

-- Glenn Ashmore

I'm building a 45' cutter in strip/composite. Watch my progress (or lack there of) at:

Shameless Commercial Division:

Glenn Ashmore

I read in sci.electronics.design that Michael wrote (in ) about 'PCB Etching (again!) - chemicals used', on Sun, 24 Apr 2005:

Both are medium-soft oxidizing agents. I suspect that the only thing 'worse' about FeCl3 is that it stains everything orange-brown, and it's difficult to get rid of the stains, especially on some materials where the iron attaches chemically to the molecules of the material.

'What is a Moebius strip?'
John Woodgate

Well, in order to make ferric chloride etch fast, you need to add oxygen. That's one of the reasons ferric chloride is used in foam or spray etching machines. Lots of oxygen in the air.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

I bought the stuff I use from Farnell.

If it is too strong or too warm, it will strip all the resist of the board (happened to me once). If it is not strong enough, it won't strip all the exposed areas. Temperature is also important. I always use the developer at room temperature. I usually use around 25cc of developer for a small board.

Any glass or plastic bottle will do as long as it is not made from nylon.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

^^^^^^^^^ Wrong word, it should read 'impossible'. I drove my mother mad with FeCl stains :-)

Anyway, I've been etching boards since I was a teenager. My father (who has a degree in chemistry) decided ferric chloride the safest stuff for me to use.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Most likely, I use a plastic ice-cream container to do my etching in as my boards are usually small. Fingers I find don't fall off when inserted in the FC, I may go out on a limb here but I'm sure it would take a while to feel any effect from leaving any FC on your skin for a while. Water cleans up OK.

BTW, if you go down this road with the Press-n-Peel, I think a laser printer is the go.

Cheers.

Reply to
Chris

I read in sci.electronics.design that Nico Coesel wrote (in ) about 'PCB Etching (again!) - chemicals used', on Sun, 24 Apr 2005:

I suspect it's more an effect of the turbulence clearing away the CuCl2 from the etch site. It would be interesting to see if N2 or CO2 bubbles would increase the etch rate or not.

'What is a Moebius strip?'
John Woodgate