OT: Post Turtle

I agree, but with certain adjustments to the meanings of "around" and "you".

Reply to
Richard Henry

Design anything cool lately?

John

It depends on what you mean by "cool". My current objective is to find the best balance of power, volume and stability to maintain a 1- pulse-per-second signal accurate enough to run a TDMA communication network node during intervals when GPS signals are not available. What I personally think is cool about it is that I am learing VHDL in the process.

Reply to
Richard Henry

The conventional spelling is "repulsive". You don't like having it pointed out that you don't know as much as you think you do, and I don't like being reminded that I can't find myself a job.

You seem happy to dish out this kind of psychic poison, but reveal yourself as less robust when exposed to similar assaults on your self- image.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen (but in Sydney at the moment).

Reply to
bill.sloman

I sold a bunch of these

to the US Naval Observatory atomic clock facility, to buffer 1 pps clock pulses and pipe them to a common comparison site. So everything you do is going through my gear! Hell, all of the GPS navigation in the world is going through my gear!

I haven't learned VHDL, and may never. I have kids who make FPGAs for me, based on scribbles on whiteboards. Doing that, and driving the Xilinx software, seems to be labor-intensive.

We have found that Xilinx FPGA's have a positive tempco of delay, which of course depends on how much stuff the signals pass through. Numbers like 20 ps/K are in the ballpark. Gluing a heatsink to the top of the chips will help some.

John

:
.

Perhaps not. But if you screw up the design of wheelbarrow, you've wasted a couple of bucks worth of materials, and few hours of your time.

The question posed to the investigators of anthropogenic global warming is more along the lines of how long can we keep pushing up the CO2 levels in the atmosphere before we get into irreversible global warming. It is a difficult question, and they can't make particularly reliable projections.

If they underestimate the temperature rise by a large enough margin, we screw up the earth - not permanently; the biosphere recovered from even the end-Permian global extinction within some twenty million years - but quite possibly enough to drive our own population down to zero.

Try reading Jared Diamond's "Collapse" ISBN-10: 0143036556, ISBN-13:

978-0143036555, to get a feel for the potential consequences of smaller climate changes, and the likely responses of our leading citizens to the early signs of incipient disaster. Amazon is running a cut-price offer at the moment.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen (but in Sydney at the moment)

Reply to
bill.sloman

The greenhouse forcing caused by the addition of atmospheric CO2 is, in a nutshell, that it replaces higher temperature Planck radiation at lower altitudes with lower temperature Planck radiation at higher altitudes. There is much more, of course. But that is the upshot.

Geez. I wonder if scientists might actually measure things and develop, perhaps, high-resolution transmission molecular absorption databases? HITRAN? Or work at all on radiative transfer physics? Think so, maybe?

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

Based on the story "Who Goes There", by Don A Stuart (aka John Campbell)

Ralph Barone

Thank you for those links. Much appreciated

Reply to
richard

Yes, weenies always use lies to bolster their arguments.

--=20 Keith

Reply to
krw

Since Keith is notoriously a right wing nitwit rather than a leftist weenie, he probably doesn't realise the proposition he's advancing is false, so we can't accuse him of being a liar, because he is dumb enough to believe that what he is saying is true. I really ought to plonk him, but one has a social duty to deflate his pretensions from time to time.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Just curious, what do you see as the issue of our time?

Reply to
JosephKK

y.

ave

Since Slowman is a notorious unemployable loser, no one reads his=20 crap.

--=20 Keith

Reply to
krw

Bush hating ;-)

...Jim Thompson

|        America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave         |
|  Due to excessive spam, googlegroups, UAR & AIOE are blocked!  |

Eh. Personally i prefer _Forbidden Planet_.

Reply to
JosephKK

Barbeque.

John

6%)

Since Keith has gone to the trouble of responding to my post, he's just made himself a liar - and a remarkably foolish liar to boot.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

That can't be right. We can all despise Dubbya, but since we all appreciate that he is Cheney's glove puppet, nobody with any sense is going to waste time and energy hating him.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

6%)

Dear Dumbshit. I didn't say I had killfiled you. I simply no longer read what you have to say.

--
Keith
Reply to

e:

is body.

who have

of a

is

So when you said "no one reads his crap", you were responding without reading it?

Reply to
Richard Henry