OT: Post Turtle

[...]Obama is a 'post turtle'."

>[...]"You know he didn't get up there by himself, >he doesn't belong up there, >he doesn't know what to do while he is up there, >and you just wonder what kind of a dumb ass put him up there!"
8-) I remember hearing the term before, but it's been a while.

I have my reservations about his experience levels

--then I remember Truman.

I also have reservations about his youth--then I remember JFK.

It's a disappointment when the best you can really point to is

*Well, he's not as bad as what the other side is offering.*

The guy who at every turn has been right on THE issue of our time (Bush's War) is Congressman Kucinich.

It would be good to have a guy in charge who can sniff out mendacity

--NOT manufacturer and/or spread it. Maybe we'll luck-out this time.

Reply to
JeffM

JFK was inspirational, but he was neither honest nor moral nor competant. Read "The Dark Side of Camelot"

Loonie. Good thing he has zero chance of affecting anything important.

(And the "war" in Iraq is hardly THE issue of our time)

Obama seems to be competant, honest, intelligent, and sincere. He can obviously manage, judging from the way he trounced the Clintons, who obviously can't. But he's dangerous, especially with a majority Dem congress. His populist/anti-business tax proposals are a sure way to destroy US jobs.

John

Do you really remember Truman? Are you that old? I am, and I read David McCullough's "Truman" last year. Truman was _not_ inexperienced.

Sounds like you're reading Obama campaign material. JFK had _just_a_wee_bit_more_ under his belt.

...Jim Thompson

No. I have to rely on the historical record.

Worked on his Daddy's farm; bank teller; worked on his Daddy's (failing) farm again; failed haberdasher.

As part of a political machine: County commissioner; Federal legislator; NO executive experience.

When he turned his back on the political machine, he found himself out in the cold. His first term as Prez is generally considered to be a failure ...then he learned how to play the game.

JFK: No state-level experience; 13 years as Federal legislator; NO executive experience.

Obama: 8 years as state legislator; 4 years as Federal legislator; NO executive experience.

"Wee bit" is correct.

Reply to
JeffM

When I was a lad, Roosevelt was still President ;-)

Sounds like you're reading from an inaccurate rendition in Wikipedia ;-)

I suggest you read McCullough's book. It'll surprise you.

Where is Obama's PT-109 experience (and leadership)?

Kennedy wrote "Profiles in Courage"! Surely they're still running "Profiles in Courage" on PBS ??

...Jim Thompson

John Lark>Loonie.

Often said of visionaries. His up-from-nothing background gives him a perspective many will never know.

We'll see.

Over 4000 dead Americans SO FAR. Our national defense structure depleted and exhausted and unready for any additional crisis that emerges. Estimated as a $3 Trillion expenditure when the final bill comes in. Assets that could be focused on the the nation's health & prosperity redirected to a failing misadventure that was based on lies.

**THE** ISSUE OF OUR TIME.

Dodged that bullet. I didn't see Hillary as the significant agent of change required.

That's the way most folks on the Left side of the line viewed Dubya's first term--except that then there was a mental midget in the Oval Office. Not really news.

Maybe the pendulum will simply swing BACK to where it was when Clinton left--y'know, peace and prosperity.

...or maybe American businesses will do what they've traditionally done: buckle down and find ways to be more competitive

--instead of coasting like so many have been doing.

You can be sure that the prohibitions on biotech will disappear and *that* job market will begin opening up.

A *real* energy policy will spur R&D and eventually commerce as well. In 2008, we should be leading the green-oriented markets

--not watching the world go by.

What really interests me is how gov't snoopervision policies and security theatre will change.

Reply to
JeffM

He's mean and he's angry. Luckily, he's also ineffective.

"In the book Best and Worst of the Big-City Leaders, 1820?1993, Melvin G. Holli, in consultation with a panel of experts, placed Kucinich among the ten worst big-city mayors of all time for reasons of temperament and performance..."

He's repulsive, too. And short. Not presidential material.

Sad, but trivial by world-misery standards. THE issue of our times is the struggle to bring stability and freedom and health to the billion or so people who still suffer, and the billions more who will suffer if we don't change a bunch of things. That is the moral imperative of our time, and doing nothing is the moral failure.

But they got a lot of practise, which all armies need.

Disagree.

The peace was a lull, as the second WTC attack was being planned; Bill declined OBW when he was offered, after the first WTC attack. And the prosperity was huge tax revenues from bogus .com profits, already unraveling as Clinton was leaving. Why does he get credit for things, when he did nothing?

In a world economy, they certainly will: by moving the jobs overseas.

Prohibitions?

Gosh, should we emulate the Europeans, with cap-and-trade, aka more taxes on business?

Not a lot, I'd expect. All the governments with suitable resources have been listening in on everything they can, since the telegraph was invented.

John

Commander in Chief, NOT Pansy in Chief

...Jim Thompson

Why do you think it is necessary?

--
Paul Hovnanian	paul@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.

One of my (3!) local PBS affilliates recently reran the "American Experience" installment on him, so it was pretty fresh in my mind.

McCullough was one of the consultants and was one of the talking heads on that program.

Paul Hovnanian wrote

...as opposed to Deserter-in-Chief.

Neither Lincoln nor FDR served. I challenge you to name men who rose more ably to the call.

...and let us not forget "Discretion is the better part of valor" aka "Caution is preferable to rash bravery." --Falstaff (from Shakespeare's Henry IV)

Listening, Commander (O5) McCain?

Reply to
JeffM

And let's not forget Neville Chamberlain and the Munich Agreement ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Lincoln was repulsive and tall.

Reply to
Richard Henry

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 | =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

| =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

Truman was a failed farmer, a failed businessman, and a temporary soldier, who found a sinecure as a party-line, ward-heeling politician.

And one of my favorite Presidents.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Heh!

Reply to
Richard Henry

John Lark>He's repulsive, too. And short.

There's that...but it didn't keep him from bagging a real babe. 8-)

We'll see what he can do from where he is...or in a future position.

Aren't they all?

Definately not a Chickenhawk. ...and it was more like "gave them a wave-off late in the operation". The whole *bothered by the prospects of collateral damage* thing reminds me of the timid nature of George McClellan who built up a great military force then was afraid of any losses, so he didn't actually USE them. A commander does have a job in choosing the proper line to tread.

At least give him props for not starting a multi-trillion dollar quagmire that diverted revenues (which *could* be used for other stuff) to an issue that should have been handled as a law-enforcement issue but was instead re-branded as a "war"[1]--then bungled.

..and that differs from the Suits' current policy how?

Surely you're aware of the status of Federal funding WRT research on embryonic stem cells ...and that many future products start as projects in universities.

Having to make a redundant set of facilities which can ONLY use NON-Federal $$ has slowed (*stopped* in many places) what should be work toward very promising therapies .

..and do I really have to say "losing our competitive edge" in this area where predictions were that we would be creating new jobs to counter the offshoring? Thanks for nothing, Dubya. . . [1] See "War on Cancer"; "War on Poverty"; "War on Drugs"; lather, rinse, repeat.

Reply to
JeffM

There are stem cell lines available for Fed-funded research, just no new ones. And nobody is stopping anybody from doing research with non-Fed funding. This controversy is really a surrogate for the abortion issue... nobody, anywhere in the world, with whatever funding, has found much real use for stem cells. Stem cells are like fuel cells and hydrogen power, more hope than reality, but a handy political football.

So where are the Canadian and European and Asian stem cell breakthroughs? Where are the therapies from private companies?

See above.

John

JeffM is another one of those non-thinking leftist weenie "engineers" who never let facts stand in the way of how they want to hate Bush.

It's turning out that non-stem cell work is showing more medical uses than for stem cells.

Not that I care one way or another... we atheists have no religious bias other that it ought to be taxed ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I wonder, Is this arrogance - "we" the USA deciding how everyone else should behave Or is it "we" the USA taking a lead on climate change, healthcare, the banning of cluster bombs, promoting a just peace in the middle east etc etc ?

Reply to
richard

behave

of cluster bombs, promoting a just peace in the

"Taking the lead in climate change" may well translate to starving a few hundred million people; it's happening already.

I'm not sure what "a just peace" in the middle east may mean, but it seems that more democracies (more than one, specifically) might be a good start.

*Somebody* should decide how everyone should behave, especially if they are behaving very, very badly.

Freedom to watch your children die of starvation and disease ain't much freedom.

John

By that reasoning, we need someone who has worked in finance, law enforcement, has a legal and science background. No, what we need is someone who can manage and _listen_to_ the experts in various fields.

Placing some special emphasis on a military background assumes that all problems will be solved with the armed services. You know what they say about your only tool being a hammer. Or worse yet, we end up like Myanmar or Pakistan.

God doesn\'t play dice. However, He does play a mean game of
3 card monte.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.