OT/real estate

Is this insane, or what? For sale about a mile from here.

John

Chump change..

Some one is making a killing on it!

"

Reply to
Jamie

Well! If I had to live in SF, I would sure like it to be in a style to which I have become accustomed ;-)

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave

Ok, I guess that would mean the dog house for me! :)

"

Reply to
Jamie

You can buy 275 acres of prime city land in the middle of the state capital, Salem, along with more than 700,000 sq ft of infrastructure, an extensive network of linked parks, open space and protected natural resources, and with what remains you still have enough land left over for 2,000 residential units .... for less than twice that much -- $12.6M. See:

"Sustainable Fairview Associates, LLC" bought it, I believe.

Or, if you wanted, you could have 64,000 acres and the city of Antelope included for about half that -- or $2.5M -- if I recall right, the last price it sold at here.

There __might__ be a home in Oregon, without a whole lot of land included that explains its price, that would sell for that much. Maybe. But I'd be looking for the iridium plated platinum faucets and flooring of gemstone pietre dure floral patterns, inlaid with 1cm thick stripped 24 carat gold marquetry.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

Pathetic! No fire poll included for your $6.35mil

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Some houses go for almost $2M around the local streets near my place in the north west suburbs of Sydney, and this is an "average" suburban area:

Not uncommon at all for houses in Sydney to go for $6M like that firehouse. No one would bat an eyelid.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

25' frontage? That's pretty tiny.

Twice as much land (50' frontage) for a comparable sum in a good area of Toronto:

Relatively cheap taxes too. Eg,

is 50% more and the taxes are more than double.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

On a sunny day (Sun, 15 Jun 2008 14:18:35 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

'Massive copper doors' ... that explains it ;-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Careful someone doesn't steal'em!

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

That's about the standard width here; our lot is 24' wide. Somebody here posted an ad for some townhouses in England that were 13' wide.

Our property taxes run about 1.1% of purchase price, and are not re-assessed as values increase, which has interesting effects.

What annoyed me about the firehouse was the hideous ultra-modern interior, glass and steel and a gourmet kitchen that is mostly for show, a mockery of the firehouse's history. They kept the brass pole, but it's tamed into being a glass-enclosed decoration... you can't slide down it any more.

John

Good EMI performance.

John

Damn, but that's hideous. Obscene, even.

John

If some junk picker hasn't already taken them!

"

Reply to
Jamie

Copper is the new Italian marble. People are using it in architecture just because it's expensive.

There's a sheet-metal shop a couple doors down from us, and they do a lot of architectural copper. Last week I had a TO-223 pnp transistor (PZT2907) that was getting really hot, 100+C on the thermal imager. So I walked down the block and explained my problem to the owner, a really nice matronly lady. She took me in the back where there's a huge hydraulic shear, with a mound of scraps on the floor. We found a nice shiny piece of 20-mil copper (must be an alloy... it's pretty hard) maybe 8" square. I took it back and sheared up some roughly

0.75" squares (on our foot shear) and soldered on onto the transistor's tab, sticking straight up. Temp dropped over 20C, good enough. The copper is a perfect reflector in the thermal IR, so I can see two transistors now.

Somebody should stamp these things out and sell them, some with a couple of through-hole pins, some pure surface-mount.

John

For $6M it ought to be *stunningly* obscene.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Good for dancing?