OT: Political Cartoons We'd Like to See

Image: Unemployment Line Caption: Is this the security that we've traded in Liberty for?

--
Cheers!
Rich

What government promised you employment?

What government took away your liberty?

John

Governments don't take liberty, people relinquish it.

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

JeffM

We now have an articulate and intelligent president, and better times are coming ... be patient. His will be an eight-year term.

Reply to
Charles

Obama's promised xx million jobs--I assumed that's what Rich meant.

Loss of liberty? Why spending our money of course. We, the People, will all have to work a bit harder and longer to pay our friendly overlords-of-the-manor.

2 terabux / ~50million taxpayers = $40k.

Of course it's really going to be more like $2T/5e6 taxpayers...ouch!

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

Mega dumb. That cartoon is from mid-bubble (9/21/04), when the economy was booming; the criticism is completely ignorant and wrong.

(Wasn't that around the time the media was trying to convince us all the economy was terrible, pre-election?)

It's true Mr. Bush spent wayyy to much. Mr. Obama has done more damage in 8 weeks.

James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

Articulate? He can barely say a single sentence without saying 'UH'.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I
will not see your messages.

Michael A. Terrell

Times aren't especially bad--the crisis, however bad it is-- has been much exaggerated. And it's self-correcting, if we just let it.

Handy for politicians, 'cause that makes it a lot easier to fix and take credit for.

It's already improving, and without the shovel-ready pork projects having had time to even get started, much less take effect.

James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

Articulate as long as the teleprompter is working correctly.

But intelligent? So far he and his gang of clowns look like terrible bunglers.

Certainly better times are coming, unless he really messes up the economy by squandering tens of trillions. Doing less would be safer.

Charisma is easily confused with skill.

John

Times have been worse and the media loves bad news. The economic system is self-correcting, but is not as logical as science is. Economics is as much about psychology as about facts. The mix causes euphoria, fear, wild swings, overreactions and general mayhem, from time to time.

Of course. They are spin doctors and will always seize the moment, for thier own benifit.

Yes, it is improving. There are positive data everywhere. If the media jump on this, the recovery will be swift. Not a good thing, in my opinion ... I'd refer a slower recovery with more time for reflection about what went wrong and how to prevent it in the future. I'll vote for a lower Q ... more subdued oscillations.

Reply to
Charles

He whines, "I inherited this deficit! Wah!", while his first action in office is to increase it by another trillion dollars! >:-{

He's not only the smarmiest snake-oil salesman I've ever seen, he might be the smarmiest snake-oil salesman there's ever been!

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

James Arthur wrote:

You're right. The people depicted ARE mega-dumb. The graphic points to people voting their ignorance, superstitions, and prejudices--against their own financial well-being.

You hit it squarely with "bubble".

Again: BUBBLE. (Ike's guy knew his ass from a hole in the ground.)

*.*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*#Chairman_of_the_Federal_Reserve

Was EVERYBODY sleeping in History class when they covered the 1920s and the Great Depression that followed?

No one seems to remember the warnings from recent history either: "Voodoo Economics" and "Irrational Exhuberance".

You use the word "bubble", yet you don't seem to understand it.

Studying the Great Depression of the '30s and why the US economy didn't COMPLETELY implode after the 12 year-bubble of Harding/Coolidge/Hoover leads to the initials F.D.R. His solution was *govenment spend* AT A TIME WHEN GOVERNMENT **SHOULD** BE SPENDING. (See "Ike's guy", above.)

Reply to
JeffM

*.*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*#Chairman_of_the_Federal_Reserve

The picture is of an unemployment line. Unemployment was low. So the cartoon, when drawn, was wrong and made no sense.

James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

He reads well. No teleprompter, linguistic disaster.

Reply to
ingvald44

How do you think government spending will fix anything?

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

::(Ike's guy knew his ass from a hole in the ground.) ::

*.*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*#Chairman_of_the_Federal_Reserve

dagmargoodbody @yahoo.com wrote:

What do you know about economics that Martin and Roosevelt didn't?

Reply to
JeffM

That doesn't answer my question.

James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

dagmargoodboat

dagmargoodbody @yahoo.com wrote:

In the wake of the fiasco that was Hoover, FDR and (most) gov'ts since have realized it was in their interest to flatten out the boom/bust cycle. I already pointed to the quote of Ike's Fed Chairman.

Here's FDR's quote about the other end of the spectrum:

*+*-try-something+Roosevelt In the '30s, the mechanism was infrastructure jobs. You may not agree with the way money is being injected into the system (indeed, I'm not thrilled about the no-strings nature of the bailouts), but Hoover showed us that when you're wearing the mantle, sitting on your thumb is a really bad idea.

Reply to
JeffM