OT: O ring

Anyone know where I can get this O ring:

Brand Name OringsUSA Part Number 7.5 MM X 1 MM BN70 Item Package Quantity 5 Material Type Nitrile Rubber System of Measurement Metric Cross Section Shape Round Inside Diameter 7.5 millimeters Outside Diameter 9.5 millimeters Cross Section 1 millimeter Lower Temperature Range -65 Degrees Fahrenheit Upper Temperature Range 250 Degrees Fahrenheit

Without paying 99¢ plus $7.50 "shipping" ?? ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

doesn't look anything special, so around here any hardware store

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Check MSCdirect.com or McMaster.com

Oppie

Have you checked with Fastenal, or a plumbing supply house?

Grainger's Industrial Supply has three branches in Phoenix:

Branch: 600

960 N. 51st Ave Phoenix, AZ 85043-2625 Phone: (602) 269-3115 Fax: (602) 272-5765

Branch Hours:

6:30 AM - 5:00 PM Mountain (Monday - Friday)
--
Branch: 602
2002 W. Rose Garden Lane

Branch Hours:
6:30 AM - 5:00 PM Pacific  (Monday - Friday)
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Since I now know that a Fastenal is in my backyard, I'll look there :-) ...Jim Thompson

If Nancy Pelosi gave Obama one of her balls, they'd both have two.

Harbor Freight has a kit of o-rings as well.

--
For the last time:  I am not a mad scientist!  I m just a very ticked
off scientist!!!

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

what irks me is that this item could be stuck in a padded envelope and mailed for less than a dollar.

Chances are,that's what the distributor would do anyways,and pocket the overcharge.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Small O-rings can be had for pennies, as you know, but might not be in stock at any local outlet. You have to find a hydraulics or plumbing or HVAC shop that keeps a stock, and buy from 'em. Fastenal, for instance, will have them for mailorder, but the local hole-in-the-wall outlet is unlikely to have stock.

The small O-rings come in a lot of variants, including careful erasure of the mold 'features' for those that have to seal around a central shaft, and friction properties suitable for rotating seals, and chemical resistance and temperature ranges. A 'grab bag' item won't always be suitable even if it IS the right size.

Me, I'd pay the shipping. Once, my hydraulic device was leaking, the manufacturer had gone out of business, and the successor (there was another similar manufacturer in the same city, I phoned 'em on speculation, and they knew the part) wouldn't sell in small quantities ($50 minimum order). So, I found their local distributor who said they'd have to special-order the part, and there was a $50 minimum... Then I suggested we just buy two seals, about $30 each. Even THAT didn't work, they said there was only one available. Best I know, is that 75 ton press is still drooling and getting topped up on a regular schedule with fresh oil. The diaper is a cardboard box of cat litter product...

the right size.

Reply to
whit3rd

news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

would you rather it said: shipping 1$, finding o-ring and and stuffing it in evelope: 6.50$ ?

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

I needed a power transformer for a UHF to VHF Hetrodyne Signal Processor for a CATV headend about 25 years ago. Minimum order was $200. The equipment was $1800 and they wanted $350 for a flat rate repair. The transformer was about $16, so I ordered $200 worth, plus a couple dozen of the crappy PNP front end RF transistors for 85 cents each. The guy at the OEM's service department wanted to know what i was going to do with the spares. I told him I was going to use one, put one in stock and throw the rest in our dumpster. He had a fit, and was yelling that it was his entire stock of that spare part. I told him that it wasn't my problem, and that we would never buy any more equipment from them.

They went out of business, a few years later. :)

--
For the last time:  I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

A bearing shop?

Reply to
F Murtz

Like a TI 9900 Minicomputer (in 1980's) with a $600 + service charge because they epoxied an incandescent light bulb into a tape drive unit? I embarassed their service base people for refusing to sell me the light bulb. I asked to talk to their regional manager, described the problem and threatened to squawk to all the Minicomputer magazines about it. He ordered the local guys to swap the module for a refurbed one gratis. The service base people had apparently never made such an exception before.

Reply to
Greegor

And some people wonder why TI isn't in the computer business these days?

--
For the last time:  I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I was at the local hardware store yesterday and asked - they stock O rings, but not in metric sizes. Would a 3/8" OD dia O ring be worth trying? The clerk says they have a lot of different sizes, so they probably have 3/8. Let me know if you want to try it, and I'll mail you a couple, assuming they're in stock at the store.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

I found it at Ace. My local store had some metric sizes, because this high-end neighborhood has lots of German-made plumbing fixtures... like Grohe. ...Jim Thompson

If Nancy Pelosi gave Obama one of her balls, they'd both have two.