OT: Nerd

I hate M$ Nerd! I started with Nerd showing documents like one might expect to see printed with a printer. I opened a text document that had umpteen lines, none longer than72 characters. I get tired of going to the end of each line, adding in a space and pressing the delete key after a while; it seems there is no other way to fix the formatting for Nerd. BUT.. I see the so-called AutoFormat, and give that a try. What a disaster! Well the *only* thing i can say is that did fix the text. *BUT* Now, i have all of this visual bullshit; paragraph markers all over the place, and worse, *dots* between.every.damn.word.in.order.to.make.it.almost.impossible.to.read. And i find that impossible to get rid of! I even re-installed using the so-called repair option where Nerd is supposed to be restored to the original state (according to M$). What a damn *LIE*! Absolutely no changes found. Do i uninstall this POS and re-install? With M$, i probably will not see any difference! Any better way to get rid of that visual garbage?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Go to Tools|Options and on the View tab uncheck anything under Formatting Marks

Reply to
no_one

You have Show All Non-Printing Characters turned on. Can you see a toolbar button with a paragraph mark on it (reversed P with the eye solid joined to a T), If so, click to toggle. Otherwise dive into the Options dialog and you should find the check boxes for various non-printing characters on the View tab.

P.S. MS Nerd's advanced search and replace is quite powerfull and *can* do a better job than auto-format if you do it in stages: 1. replace with untill none found. 2. replace with (once) 3. replace with until none found and then replace with once to preserve paragraphs. 4. replace with to complete the reformat preserving blank lines, indents etc. RTFM or in this case, the help button in Replace.

--
Ian Malcolm.   London, ENGLAND.  (NEWSGROUP REPLY PREFERRED)
[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & >32K emails --> NUL:

What version of Office or Word are you using?

Reply to
Don Bowey

I snooped around and unchecked a *lot* of stuff to no avail. Probably have everything messed up now, and if so, the only way to fix would be to ununstall and re-install and hope these settings do not hide in the registry.

Reply to
Robert Baer

GASP! Are you saying that the so-called "help" section is useful in this case? In at least 15 years, "help" files in any program (most especially M$ bloatware) have been worse than beating ones head on a wall.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Office 2000 Premium.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Look for a symbol on the toolbar that looks like a backwards P. I think the shortcut is Ctrl Shift 8 or Ctrl *.

Reply to
The Real Andy

I cannot figure out which box that i unchecked that fixed the problem, as i unchecked a lot of them. Does anyone have an idea as to what controls that foolishness?

Reply to
Robert Baer