getting started with uProcesors

Hey all;

I've been noticing a few posts here and there that refer to PICs and other uProcessors, and was thinking about experimenting a bit with them. What do you need to get started? How do you program the uP? Are the components expensive?

Thanks

Reply to
tempus fugit

tempus fugit skrev:

If you do not know C or assembly, you can use a PICAXE. It is programmed in basic, using a serial cable and some resistors, so inexpensive. Its somewhat slow and limited compared to the real thing though.

All needed parts with a few chips will probaly end in 20$

For the real thing you need pic programmer, and compiler if its not included with the chip you choose, but I dont know enough about them to give the complete story.

/Jan

Reply to
Jan Nielsen

They're fun, though there's a bit of a learning curve.

You write a program, compile it to machine code, then send the code to the uP via the programmer. Apply power to the uP and your code runs.

The chips can be $2 or less for a good learner model. The programming hardware can be $20-30 to build your own. A commercial all-in-one hardware/software IDE can be $80-300.

You need:

- a hardware programmer device (commercial or homebrew) it connects to your computer via USB/serial/parport, and you plug your micro into it.

- a code compiler (commercial, shareware or freeware)

- a micro (of course)

There are probably hundreds of code editors/compilers and IDE's available online. C, Assembly Language and Basic are the most popular 'human-readable' languages for uP's.

There are schematics for programmer modules online if you want to build it yourself, but you could encounter compatibility problems mixing Joe's Ultimate Compiler with Steve's Universal Programmer. YMMV.

Me, I chickened out and went commercial; I got the PicKit II from MicroChip. It had the hardware, micro, software AND lots of tutorials and sample programs (Assembly). Easy to install, hooks up to a USB port on my Windows box. I'm sure others will recommend other packages for other micros.

Reply to
Randy Day

"tempus fugit" schreef in bericht news:8ff15$463908cf$d1d89e43$ snipped-for-privacy@PRIMUS.CA...

A good intro can be found:

Sells also PICs, programmers and some more electronics.

Another site with programmer can be found:

These are only some examples. There's much, much more on the net.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

berichtnews:8ff15$463908cf$d1d89e43$ snipped-for-privacy@PRIMUS.CA...

Aren't there any programmer software /hardware running on Linux? Regards Zoot

Reply to
zoot

"zoot" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...

Wouter van Ooijens Wisp program(mer) is based on Python, so it would run under Linux.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

PICs have a large market share, but go to AVRfreaks.net and read a few messages about how great the AVR microcontrollers are and easy to program and on and on.

Reply to
BobG