OT: More Win7 Crap

I've been very happy with my two new Dells with Win7. They are fast, stable, quiet, and, after some bashing, very XP looking.

I did have to fetch a new HP printer driver. It took about 40 minutes to install, hung at 99% done, then aborted with a timeout error message. After a reboot, the printer works file. I guess 99% of a driver is all it needs.

But no way will I consider Win 10. Or allowing auto upgrades on 7.

I think it's a pretty good guess.

My understanding of the way this works is that printer "discovery" uses the Bonjour protocol. This is an extension of DNS, also known as DNS-SD (Service Discovery). DNS operates on port 57, UDP. A DNSSD request is crafted saying "Any printers out there near me?" and is broadcast on the LAN. The protocol allows you to construct complex queries, like "I need a printer that does duplex color in A3", but I don't think Windows generally does that. It does use those same attributes to categorise the responses.

The DNSSD request is met (most probably) by a DNSSD service running (in your case) in your computer. This will have gathered the info by using SNMP or some other protocol when you configured the printer; the printer itself is unlikely to provide DNSSD.

Anyhow, no solutions here, but you can see some reasons why it's flakey. Microsoft seem so like these flakey protocols; ever since NetBIOS; the "browse master" protocol cause unlimited mayhem for decades. But perhaps I've suggested some things to scrutinise using Wireshark (DNS and SNMP) ... assuming you actually want to fix this.

Clifford Heah.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

I have one of the most reliable printers on the market. Kinkos. Only trouble is they are 25 miles away. My daily commute is only 25 feet, but this would be a lousy drive to my printer bay.

--

Rick
Reply to

They've been called Fedex Office for quite a few years now (decision to drop the Kinko's was made in 2008).

About 4.5 miles to the local one for me (open 24/7) but I can't really justify not having a few printers around. When I had a couple hundred manuals to print up it was worth the trip.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

My palatial office is located in a building with 4 other businesses, 3 of which are loaded with plotters, wide format printers, and high speed scanners. For a time, my office was also full of these. Then, I thought it best to sell my collection, and use the big printers at the neighbors as needed. Allegedly, I supply my own media, but since it's a major project to change a giant roll of paper, I just trade for ocassional computer work.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Yeah, OPP, (other people's printers).

--

Rick
Reply to

Update = free Upgrade = paid Note that Microsoft calls it a Free Upgrade, which has all the characteristics of an oxymoron.

I found a new oddity with the Win 10 Upgrade. It's a Win 8.1 machine where the owner had started the Upgrade process, but changed his mind before anything was downloaded. The install did not start. So, I uninstalled KB3035583. I then had Win 8.1 scan for updates, and set KB3035583 to hidden. Then, a reboot just for fun. When I went back into Windoze Update, and checked the "Installed Updates", KB3035583 was gone. So far so good.

However, when I again scanned for updates, KB3035583 magically reappears on the list of optional updates. I initially didn't notice but when it tried to download 3 GBytes of stuff, I aborted. I've repeated this about 4 times (on one machine) to verify that I'm not doing something wrong.

I guess KB3035583 is a zombie that doesn't want to stay dead (or hidden). You will be upgraded. Resistance if futile.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 14:16:27 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

Operator induced.

There was also once a time in which you actually knew how to perform and execute a google search.

Have another glass of wine. Ask folks here. They'll surely hold your hand for you. They'll even pick up the bar of soap when you drop it.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 17:36:34 -0400, Martin Riddle Gave us:

Jim being helpful? Right... Between the Donald Trump like narcissismic (my word) horseshit and the wine, the old bastard can barely work things out on a single machine, much less report what he did, or info related to the actual cause.

Jim needing help? That hits the nail on the head, and for various and sundry reasons. Mainly though..... he is full of himself. That's what the stench is.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 17:38:16 -0400, rickman Gave us:

Jeez... you're right.. The damned thing is ancient and monochrome.

Costco has a full color laser jet muti-function print,fax,scan job that is sweet for less than $450. NICE family photo output.

His POS is still like $800 used because it is so old.

And no color? Wow.... neanderthal mentality and practice.

And here I thought it was just in Usenet.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 17:42:12 -0400, Martin Riddle Gave us:

Far better.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 15:29:38 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

So you have never removed a toner cartridge and re-balanced the remaining toner "internal grade" so it prints another thousand without any fading?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 17:07:20 -0700, John Larkin Gave us:

You choose the most stupid things to waste personal time on.

I have done ONLY manual upgrades on EVERYTHING, including Mozilla and Adobe crap, for years. Since before Vista.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 18:24:25 -0700, Jeff Liebermann Gave us:

One cannot lay a finger upon any member of the bork without getting porked.

Oh look.... I dropped my soap...

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

The general rule with HP laser printers is that a set of toner cartriges will cost about as much as the printer. And the printers come with "starter doses", partially filled cartriges.

So only buy an HP printer if you intend to use it seldom.

Remember when HP had integrity? Well, you may be too young.

PCs? You sort of need one to do electronic design these days.

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 21:16:43 -0700, John Larkin Gave us:

So what? They are still filled with enough to keep most consumers going for a year (easily, longer even), and a full set of new toner cartridges with the full load gives them new life for even longer. Very reliable physical print engine and transport hardware as well.

You ain't real bright. Brother and many of the others are lame in other areas. Longevity being the main one, and that has nothing to do with the toner cartridge fill level. Doh!

The only viable "other good maker" is Xerox.

HP used to be far more than a printer Mfgr.

They DO have integrity with what they make right now.

Keysight has theirs.

You seem to be too stupid to know how or what to measure, so your remarks carry zero credence.

But hey... you also think that the Space Shuttle Program produced nothing useful, and are stupid enough to make the same retarded declarations about the ISS.

Real scientists who see you spout that horseshit know right where your head is at. Firmly up your ass.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 21:38:15 -0700, John Larkin Gave us:

Do not 'need' to sit there with your thumb up your ass, fuddling with one "to make it look like XP" to make use of it though, dumbass.

Then, you ask in here about things you then claim that you have someone else make effective.

You should have washed that thumb off before sticking it back into your mouth.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

And you ain't real polite. If you're going into business for yourself, you'd better learn some manners. People don't do biz with people they don't like.

Brother and many of the others are lame in

We got a great new Sharp color digital copier, networked as a printer and scanner. They sell toner by the bucket. It does beautiful color printing, up to B size.

We're retiring our big HP 5100 color printer; the cartrige set now costs about $1000.

Is Xerox still in business? I haven't seen a Xerox product in ages.

Is this when I get to say "Doh" ?

Name a few useful things.

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 18:24:25 -0700, Jeff Liebermann Gave us:

One cannot lay a finger upon any member of the bork without getting porked.

Oh look.... I dropped my soap...

A similar scenario is presumably how you came about ???

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull