OT: More spectacular downpours as global warming progress.

You know I always worry about that. I also dislike that the spindle break, is right near the spindle on/off (forward and back) control. Again pushing the wrong knob (as I'm removing or installing a mill) could lead to "fun times"...

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I haven't used a full-size mill in a long time. Maybe one of these times--it was fun.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I managed to get approved for admittance to the machine shop in MIT Building 20 when I was a student working as a technician for the Woodson/Melcher/Jackson MHD laboratory.

I just loved the punch press that could cut holes for meters in rack panel face plates... kaboom !-) ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

At Ginzton Lab (and AFAIK most places) entering grad students were required to take a class from the grizzled shop manager where you had to make 5 or 6 specific parts on both lathe and mill, to show that you could use all the basic capabilities of both. It was dead useful, but that was 1983, so awhile back now. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

We have an n/c Tormach, which is fabulous, but it's more satisfying to turn the knobs on the old Bridgport and feel the metal cutting. No programming required, either!

lunatic fringe electronics

Dang should have read spindle *brake*.

I get to turn it on once a week or so. Mostly just simple stuff.

Back in grad school, I remember it being very satisfying to go into the machine shop and make something. Instant feedback and gratification. (Getting the low temperature experiment up and running could be months of work and frustration.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I've seen it--very snazzy. DFH is on his way to Long Island to interview a CM house. I was going to tag along, but I'm still in bed. He'll do just as well without me, anyhow.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Youngster ;-) I was allowed admission to the machine shop marvels in

1959. But indeed there was an examination to prove you knew what you were doing. I was first admitted to the punch and drill press area, then, about 6 months later to the inner sanctum with the gorgeous lathes and milling machines. ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

Paulo really refurbed it. I wanted to paint it purple, but he stuck to boring old grey.

Mo has a pink hammer.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I managed to get admission to the machine shop at about the same time and nearly the same place. But no exam. I just hung around the shop and got to know the machinists. I do not think anyone else in my class ever did anything in the machine shop.

Some time later one of my uncles asked me what my thoughts were on jobs, and i told him that I thought the machinists at the university had the most interesting job They got to come up with designs for a lot of the research.

My uncle wanted me to work for him. Talking to the researchers at companies and letting him know which companies were likely to prosper.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Many women have pink guns, too.