Vista and global warming.

Lemme get this straight, that OS needs 'better hardware', and that better hardware uses more power. So just to power Vista we need to build 11 extra nukulear plants? hehe Vista is not 'green'. V I S T A I S N O T G R E E N

Any comments?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Jan Panteltje a écrit :

Obviously can't be green since those guys invented BSOD.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

There are perhaps a dozen or so gigawatt-scale power plants scattered around the world, because the Windows hibernate thing has never worked right.

I've seen the estimate that a few per cent of the generating capacity of the USA is used to run pc's that are not shut down when not in use. They're not shut down because suspend doesn't work, and boot times are so long. The Microsoft-mandated soft power switch thing consumes vampire power even when a pc is "off."

Microsoft is rapacious in more ways than three.

John

...and because, for "enterprise" scenarios where there are thousands of machines that are intended to be backed up/updated/whatever overnight, the IT guys couldn't get "wake on LAN" to work.

Yeah, but at least they try to limit it to something like 5W. My parents had one of those old color TVs with the "instant on" feature that worked by keeping the tube filament running all the time... I'm sure that was far worse.

Speaking of filaments... California might not let you use them for lighting in the not-so-distant future:

. I'm all for compact fluorescents, but I think it's too bad they oversell them a little in that article (a 20W CF is more like a 60W incandescent, not 75W) and don't mention the drawbacks (many take a significant time to achieve full brightness in cold weather, etc.). And of course it's just evil to try to outright ban incandescents rather than, say, using the carrot approach of subsidizing the price of CFs, if they're so convinced they're that much better.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

On a sunny day (Wed, 31 Jan 2007 10:18:55 -0800) it happened "Joel Kolstad" wrote in :

I added some CF to my work room, and did not like the spectrum (too red). Put back 2 of those new 'cool white' long fluorescent tubes above my desk. Much better light, especially when soldering SMD :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Nasty question: do CFLs use *mercury* like other fluorescents?

Reply to
Robert Baer

I use better CF lamps wherever i can. I also have decorative fixtures where using them is really ugly. They could make better progress by catering more to the decorative fixture / lamp crowd who are already paying a huge premium for their decorative lamps.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller