OT: Is LinkedIn actually good for anything?

But I'm Irish. You snipped the post into nonsense, as usual.

John

Whenever it was I did sign up, I did it carefully enough because I only get one email a month about "telecommunications headlines, and about one every two months with 'new messages'.and a list of five or six, which I have never ever examined. It is also on an obscure email account, so I don't even care if I kill it or not.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawle

Ooops

IAmTheSlime

The "requirements analysis session" is usually performed gratis and is part of the process of generating a quote or bid.

Reply to
IAmTheSlime

That depends. Very often the client knows what he wants to accomplish, but doesn't possess a crisp description of what the gizmo has to do, or what's physically possible.

In those sorts of cases, I like to budget a few days for Phase 1, which is a detailed photon budget and a set of specs for Phase 2. Phase 1 is usually done on retainer, but Phase 2 can be done either that way or by milestones if it's fixed price.

I tell clients that fixed-price usually costs more, because I have to add in a risk premium, but large companies are often more comfortable with that approach.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

They seem to be better off than anyone else. The vast majority have HOUSES to live in. Streets are for homeless people.

mike

Reply to
m II

space.

There is NO public connection- I'm sure of it. He probably accidentally shared his address book, and now they have his customer list and are using it in a relatively benign way- so far. If they were spamming me with every dude who went to the same trade show I'd be getting tens of thousands of suggested connections. I didn't get that.

Yeah, they publish things like foot race results on the web.

Not in this case.

Yes, embarassing.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Cross their palms with silver, of course.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Not many live on the street.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

HOUSES are ON streets, idiot. You're dumber than dogshit, boy.

Reply to
UltimatePatriot

I never ran into that limitation but then again I didn't bother to really dig deep in LI. People who know me well are actually amazed I have a LI profile at all. I'm not really into social networks.

I've thought about that and I wouldn't mind to go overseas for a few days. I've worked on several international projects before and I like working with people from different cultures. However I doubt I can compete with 'local' competitors because living in NL is expensive.

Anyway, I probably need to move my website to another host soon which means I need to redo most of it. I'll probably create an English version at that point.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

We inhale, exhale, then repeat... Why do you ask :-)

Reply to
Ralph Barone

[...]

Expensive? You haven't lived in Norway yet :-)

Yeah, and it doesn't mean working abroad. For example, I just had a layout done and the guy is about 2000 miles away from here. We've never seen each other. My client for this project is also about 2000 miles away in another direction and I've never been there.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

space.

Sharing an address book is most definitely not a good idea. Why would people ever do that?

[...]

You never really know for sure :-)

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

A significant fraction of my work is overseas, with people I've never met. It does make for some difficulties, but I haven't had any bad experiences with it so far. Your written English is excellent, so there ought to be no big problems there.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Damn. I've been doing it backwards.

mike

Reply to
m II

That probably depends on how much you drink :-) I've never been to Norway but it might be an idea to go there on vacation next summer. I guess it will take about two days to get there by car although the amount of German autobahn is limited and the speed limits in Norway are quite low and exceeding the limit by only 5km/h can cost about 90 euros ($125).

I would have no problem with that. A couple of years ago I did a project for someone in the US which went OK. I do 99.9% of my work from my own office anyway. OTOH most projects I work on usually require some on-site testing or at least a get-together with other people for system integration testing.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Probably not. Because people couldn't read / write well in the days when surnames where introduced a lot of names have been mangled over the centuries. My own last name was spelled Coussel around 1700. And I still need to spell my last name everytime someone needs to write it down and people pronounce it wrong!

So maybe Larkin great great great grandfather was called Larry King. His grandchildren where Larkins' and now John has to do with Larkin :-)

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

space.

I would be positive that he shared his address book - Linkedin invite you to do that at every opportunity. - I entered details of my email the first time around as they tried to get a contact listbut fortunately not with any provider that they can fish addresses from.

I've only joined recently and that is mainly to keep up with some colleagues who are moving away.

Reply to
David

I used to write the bids for free, since my customers usually accepted them with no changes. They would tell me their budget up front, so sometimes I sent them two bids. One was bare bones, and the second was better grade equipment, but I never tried to squeeze every penny out of their budget. Sometimes the difference was caused by how fast they needed the job done. :)

Michael A. Terrell