OT: Is LinkedIn actually good for anything?

ace.

Nobody other than someone with the brainpower of a Ron Paul supporter would believe anything on LinkenIn.

I've sure LinkedIn was good for the venture capitalists.

Reply to
miso

I always wondered, will they know that you explicitly said "no"? And then jump off the bridge or something?

So far I've just not answered invites from people where I have no clue who they are.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Where did you read that kind of stuff? Have you ever been on LinkedIn, in the forums? For example, the IEEE Smart Grid forum on there is pretty good. Some of the real utility movers and shakers are participating. Some of the posters are politically quite a bit to the left of me but I am a tolerant guy, or at least try to be :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

So your friends won't tell you their real email addresses? Wow, that stinks. Or maybe you only pal around with folks whose resumes are 100% fabricated? (Inquiring minds want to know.) ;)

I don't work for free, and I don't suppose you do either.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I doubt that most here would get that reference.

Even Google gets it wrong AFAICT. They claim that The National Enquirer coined it in the 80s.

It was really these guys... way back in the early 70s.

Eat Or Be Eaten

Reply to
IAmTheSlime

I use to live across the street from Mission Dolores, and hung out in the Castro a lot. I never got hit on... maybe my (total lack of) fashion sense is the hetero giveaway.

The Castro is a lot more mixed these days; mixed couples, kids, dogs, less obvious cruising and strutting than in the pre-AIDS days.

Are you British? We USians usually live "on" a street, but Brits live "in" one. I don't know how Canadians live.

John

Better than either. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

space.

ummm.... snarl?

Fortunately, I have no relatives named Larry.

John

space.

ar.

g,

%

Huh? Double huh?

I've interviewed so many people with bullshit on their resumes that I have very little trust in what they publish.

Do you ever met with a first time client and give them an hour or so for free just to see if the project is worth it? That is working for free, technically.

Reply to
miso

I thought it was the Enquirer as well.

I've never been able to get into Firesign, despite trying several times at the behest of friends. Monty Python, Douglas Adams, Tom Lehrer, Spike Jones, sure. Firesign--I never really felt the draw.

(I couldn't stand listening to that clip long enough to see if that line occurs there--does it?)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

They don't have streets in Canukistan?

John

"Nobody other than someone with the brainpower of a Ron Paul supporter would believe anything on LinkenIn."

I was just giving counterexamples of possibly-partly-factual info that's found on LinkedIn. (Or maybe you let your keyboard run away with you a little bit.)

Not all of a consultant's hours are billable, by quite a lot. But if you don't spend the time, you'll go broke fast. So it's more like keeping the house painted.

I'm trying to get better organized so as to raise my percentage of billable time. Consulting seems to alternate between having time but no money and money but no time. 2009 was the first, this year has been the second. The second is better.

I was just teasing you a bit for the inconsistency of expecting other folks (VCs) not to want to make money when you and I both want to do the same thing. It's one of those leftist habits--disguising what appears actually to be plain old envy underneath apparently righteous indignation. (The Geraldine-Ferraro-was-a-slumlord problem.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

We usually live in houses or at least apartments. (Though unfortunately Vancouver has street people too, now. They never used to when I was there. They have riots now too, for that matter.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Perhaps, but you can be sure that the first man in your tree to use your surname (or family name,actually) did.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawle

I somehow got signed up and I get an email from time to time announcing other people who have signed up, but I haven't yet figured out what it's for.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Doesn't it mean something like hunting for small songbirds? "A-larkin' we will go, a larkin' we will go, hi, ho, the dairy-o, a larkin' we will go!"

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Well, I do not know what all they came out with before the trilogy of "Waiting For The Electrician Or Someone Like Him", "Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me The Pliers", and "I Think We're All Bozos On This Bus". But that is the best, most timeless work. It is in there, somewhere.

But for a more modern "Digital" even work you may like, where the opening is a guy putting a game in his car's CD player to "try it out". The game took him "inside".

This was one of the first DDD discs back in the early 80s and it may have well been the very first CD+g subcode graphics included disc. It took me years to find a system to view them on, and it turned out to be at a B&O store. The graphics were 4 bit, 4 color crap at like blockier even than 320x200! Really bad. Great comedy though.

If you liked old radio plays, you can handle getting inside a Firesign routine. I can't imagine what it was you heard that you couldn't listen to.

Turns out that youtube piece is about the worst audio of that work I have ever heard. Sorry 'bout that. Far better is out there. I have albums and CDs... maybe even a file or two.

The title is "Eat Or Be Eaten"

Side one was called "Getting In", even though I don't think it ever got made into an album. Side two is "Getting Out" of course.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ "Chief say 'Player, clic, clic, you have choice... Death or Chi Chi?" (tribe in bckground chants "chichi chichi... chichi chichi...)

Player says.. "uh... I'll take death, chief..." Chief say "Ahhh... Wise choice... but first, a little Chi Chi!

Essentially saying "you get it anyway".

Reply to
IAmTheSlime

Speaking of saying "yes;" I recently got badgered into "upgrading" to the new yahoo email, and I started getting popups on my "yahoo messenger" or whatever they call it - I responded, "Who are you and why are you making things pop up on my computer?" I got a response: "Hello sweetie." So I spent about five or ten minutes digging through the new yahoo help menus to find out how to block whoever it was.

Why do they have to keep "fixing" stuff that already works, which almost always does the opposite of making anything better? Is it the plague of scriptkiddies that Revelations talks about? =:-O

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Nah, that was in Exodus just after the plague of Frenchmen. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Do you try to charge people when you bid a job, or just figure that it's costed out as normal overhead?

Michael A. Terrell