OT: Is LinkedIn actually good for anything?

Their data and algorithms for matching people are a bit scary. I think they're mining address books or something.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Much of that only requires crawling and trawling the web. Same we always do when trying to find folks back where we kind of know what company they are working at now. Or might be working at. LinkedIn has made that process of finding people a bit easier.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yes, we have been (grins modestly.) There is a Larkin Street here, and Larkin Valley down the coast, but he was Scots, and I'm Irish, but it does seem to help with restaurant reservations.

I think Larkin means an occupation, like steward or groundskeeper or woodsman or something.

John

It probably does. Every time I walk the Larkin street, I see a bunch of gays.

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

How often do you do that?

John

Joerg expounded in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Sure, but clicking "report as spam" is far quicker. I don't have a lot of time to fuss around. I save it for the important stuff like posting here ;-)

I only use google groups as a last resort.

I'm not seeing those options.

Warren

Reply to
Warren

Not really. You can upload the e-mail addresses from you e-mail program. Linked-in uses that to determine which people you contacted in the past. If you don't upload your e-mail contacts there is nothing LI can do.

Personally I like to keep my number of 'connections' low and almost never invite someone or accept an invitation. I think linked-in is good to be on peoples radar. I also notice (potential) clients check my LI profile sometimes. In that respect a LI profile is like a free advertisment :-)

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

[...]

Email Preferences -> Select the types of messages you're willing to receive

... and also -> Set the frequency of emails

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

No.. it's far deeper than that. They had me tentatively linked with a fellow that I've most certainly never disclosed publically, nor had he deliberately (it would not be in his interest as I'm a good customer).

They also link around clusters of similarly linked people. If you know three people who know Sally, then you probably know Sally. Less intrusive but still a bit startling.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Bwahahahahahaha ;-) ...Jim Thompson

--
                  [On the Road, in New York]

f space.

made me curious, 10 seconds with google:

The Irish Larkin is an anglicization of the Gaelic Lorcan, a personal name meaning "rough" or "fierce." The English version of Larkin is a diminutive of Lawrence, to which has been added the suffix "kin," meaning "relative of."

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Did you go to the same school or university? Worked at the same company once upon a time? Same kind of professional background and live in the same area? IEEE members? Attended a trade show together? You'd be surprised how much information is out there without either of you realizing it.

I remember when my former boss really needed to contact an old college pal of his and had no clue where to even look. I asked him a few things, such as what kind of sports he does. Went to my desk to eat a sandwich and go on the web. 30 seconds later I had the guys city _and_ phone number, from a sports club roster. My boss couldn't believe it. "S..T! That's scary!"

There's way more than that but I don't know how far they'll go. Think about it: How often have you filled out some form to get information, to register something, to attend something? How often did the other fellow? All it takes is one match, somewhere. This sort of data can slosh around in wide swings, it's like an ocean. And once it's in there it isn't possible to pry it back out, or even know how far it has already traveled.

Once I was looking for an engineer. Found him on the web but the place where I found him was embarrassing: A tax delinquency listing, and I then knew exactly how much he still owed. Now that's really scary.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That can limit you chances of being found. Sometimes the guy for whom a certain project would be a glove-fit is found in someone else's connections but you can usually only see those if you are connected with that person.

But I only accept invitations from people I know.

How do you find our who checked your profile? All I can see under mine is "Viewer of this [my] profile also viewed ...".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Its simple, they ask/talk about things that are in my profile :-)

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

This can be explained in so many evil ways ;-P

Not really. You know it only takes 7 people (and usually less) to 'link' to any other person in the world?

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

I used to live in Larkin Street. Gay bars/baths are on Polk (next street). But i am not attractive for gays, so they never bother me.

Reply to
linnix

You don't have to say "yes" when someone wants to link with you.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

[...]

Ok, I can't use that sort of info because the profile is the same as the contents on my web site. Mine looks pretty similar to your profile.

One really weird thing about LinkedIn is, you can be working for years with a guy and not be able to connect because "out of network". That never made sense to me.

BTW, if you can use more business it would make sense to have an English version of your web site. I can easily read it but only because I've lived there, others might give up after a while.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Not hard to believe, coming from a dope like you.

I'd bet that my experience with canceling them would be a one shot deal.

That makes your new moniker "Always Stupid".

Reply to
UltimatePatriot

They claim that if you submit a spam report, the inviter's account will be limited, i.e. will have to supply the invitee's LinkedIn-registered email address. So you can use a mail mirror or a forwarded Gmail only for LinkedIn, and theoretically spammers won't be able to hit you.

Of course there might be a special class of account where you pay $ to get round that, I don't know.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs