FPGA/CPLD group on LinkedIn

Group for People Involved In the Design and Verification of FPGA's and CPLD's to Exchange Idea's and Techniques. You should have FPGA/CPLD Design/Verification on your Profile to Join. (The focus is more on FPGA/CPLD in the product as opposed to FPGA's solely as a path to an ASIC)

Reply to
wmwmurray

I prefer NNTP over webbforums that is pumped full of the latest webb-fad from the webmaster. Thread structure often missing.

Reply to
sky465nm

The one big advantage is that joining the group allows one to search the members CV's and look for a few people to ask for a one-on-one answer to something that they are familiar with. It also allows one to build contacts in an area of interest, that one might not otherwise meet. Hope this helps with why I started the group. There are other reasons to join beyond this as well -- will save for later -- both NNTP, and LinkedIn can be useful tools

Reply to
wmwmurray

I enjoy helping people out when information or insights from my own experience can help others and I certainly like the exposure I get to different ideas and tools I rarely (or don't) use.

I certainly don't need one-on-one conversations brought up by people who don't want to make their questions and pursuits more public.

There are too many people asking others to do their work for them as it is whether educational or professional. Too many want something for nothing. In an open forum, maybe someone will oblige. Random emails from unfamiliar names are NOT appreciated from where I sit.

You've given me reason enough not to even look to see what the board might offer.

- John_H

Reply to
John_H

A friend of mine used to visit the Yahoo stock message boards which, if you have ever looked at them, are full of crap and a lot of people with bad attitudes. They are a bit like adolescent punks spraying graffiti on your computer screen. My friend was following a stock in its message board and someone posted that they had just started following this stock and asked if anyone had some advice. What he got was a litany of rude remarks, personal insults and comments about his heritage. Then one other poster asked "How do you like the welcome wagon"!

Sometimes this group is a bit like that. Instead of just allowing your post to go without comment, you got posts explaining personal reasons for not wanted to visit any web based forum. I have no idea why they felt the need to make their posts. They don't seem to be trying to convince others that they should not visit the group. They just felt the need to post a personal opinion. Ok, it's a free Internet.

Just so you don't think everyone here is against your idea, I had already joined because I saw it listed on LinkedIn. I find Yahoo forums to be very valuable, mostly because they can be very specifically targeted. There are lots of people here who are happy to respond to a reply, but not everyone likes this format. Certainly there is room in the Internet for both this group and a Yahoo group.

See you there!

Reply to
rickman

Opps, I got my groups mixed up. I was talking about a Yahoo group and you are talking about the LinkedIn group.

It's still early here. :)

Reply to
rickman

Hi Rick, I've no idea why, but I feel the need to thank you for posting your personal opinion! ;-) Cheers, Syms.

Reply to
Symon

from

Usenet seem to attract people with more solid knowledge. Also getting trapped in the get-the-latest-webb-browser race seems like a time waste.

Reply to
sky465nm

from

LinkedIn does hit the WebBrowser pretty hard, but seems to do OK in the later versions of Firefox, and there is a Mobile version too, Another nice aspect to LinkedIn, is that it does let one do some background research on a company/group/person BEFORE taking on a design -- nice things to know that one does not talk about on NNTP

-- Do they breach their contracts?, Do they pay on time?, Do they break health/safety/environment regulations?, How are their PS&L Claims?, etc,etc,etc........

Reply to
wmwmurray