SOT263B fitting as a 3 leg TO-220

Please look here.

While looking for a good replacement power fet for automotive use, I come across these. They are boasty and cheap, they also have a couple of extra legs I am wondering If I can snip off and insert these units in existing applications that only have the TO-220/AB 3 leg alignment.

I've noticed the pin order is correct if I remove pins 2 and 4, leaving me with 1,3 and 5. Does the package size align properly for a 220AB 3 leg style if I were to do this ?

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Look like 1.7mm between 1 and 2, 3.4mm between 1 and 3. So, it would be slightly bigger than 2,54mm of standard 3 pins TO-220. But you can always bend the pins to fit.

Don't know why they refer it to TO-220 in the spec.

Reply to
linnix

Why not just look up the TO220 package and look? If you want to bid, I'll do your homework for you for only $240.00/hr.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Sorry, i already did, Can I get paid for a minute ($4) anyway?

Reply to
linnix

--
No.

TO-220 pins have a pitch of 0.1", while the NXP 5-lead TO-220
package's pins have a pitch of 1.7mm.

That means that with pins 2 and 4 cut off, the distance between pins 1
and 3 and 3 and 5 would be 3.4mm, which is 0.134".
Reply to
John Fields

several manufactures refer to sot263 as a 5pin to220

but why choose a 5pin fet if what is needed is a 3pin ?

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Because I have the option to use all 5 pins in a design if I wish or, remove the current function pins if I need to use them just as a basic replacement part.

I found a cheap source for these and was planning on getting a couple hundred.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Ok, which is what I needed to know., although, that isn't really that much difference if I were to use these as replacement parts.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Train your repair techs how to bend a pin - hold it with a needle-nose as close to the epoxy package as possible, so that the bending force (of bending the pin to fit) doesn't crack the epoxy.

It's doable - I've done it myself.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise