OT: Is it safe in Dallas?

information.

Do ya think the friggin mosquito knows which friggin county it's in??? Looks like Arlington

is within 20 miles radius of a declared emergency area. The entire Dallas, Ft Worth, Arlington

area is under advisory. The other problem with your pathetically flawed presentation is a

blatant failure to realize that not all cases are reported, not even close. There is so much

uncertainty that even CDC can't begin to estimate the unreported cases. Those would be people

with mild enough symptoms to avoid hospitalization or even a doctor's visit or don't even know

they have it. Then there is the animal reservoir population which is also incompletely surveyed

as yet. Anyone who lives in the area should treat the threat as very real until the end of the

mosquito season there, whenever that is.

Be especially careful driving from the airport to your hotel, that's the most dangerous think your going to do! Mikek

Reply to
amdx

I use a product called Cutter and it's almost a perfume smell to it, wouldn't say that it "reeks". I'm outside a lot at dusk when the mosquitoes are swarming, it doesn't completely eliminate bites but it cuts them way down.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

say that it "reeks". I'm outside a lot at dusk when the mosquitoes are swarming, it doesn't completely eliminate bites but it cuts them way down.

Lathering up with that would amuse the Texans just as much.

say that it "reeks". I'm outside a lot at dusk when the mosquitoes are swarming, it doesn't completely eliminate bites but it cuts them way down.

It's a clear liquid spray, wouldn't say you lather it on.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Would you care to complete my information? Perhaps you have better information available? I usually assume that the reader has sufficient intelligence to understand my comments, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

No, but I'm sure the CDC know which county to mention in their statistics.

Please note that I mentioned that Terrant county is next to Dallas county and that the cases reported were by hospital admissions, not by place of residence or place of probable infection.

Please note that I mentioned that 80% of the cases have no symptoms. Presumably, if one does not have symptoms, one does not visit the hospital and become a statistic for the CDC.

True. It's much like the highly flawed and often inaccurate weather forecasts. You read the forecast and you take your chances. Efforts are always being made to improve the situation, but no matter how well the numbers are cooked, someone like you is always going to be dissatisfied with the statistics and demand additional accuracy. In this case, the problem is a fairly small number of fatalities and reported cases. Just one additional incident can have a rather large effect on the risk.

On one of the URL's I mentioned, the method of data collection is detailed, which include testing all admissions for West Nile Virus whether they show symptoms or not. Many mild cases were found this way. It's also how they estimate the number of unreported cases.

True. Animals are potential carriers. Last time I checked, the CDC only collects human incidence statistics. I don't have a clue which agency would be in charge of collection such statistics.

Yep. I remember that line for Y2K. "It's not the odd's, it's the risks" was the mantra. The logic was that since the various disaster scenarios were so high, one should ignore the calculated risks and apply a worst case scenario as most probable. Quite a few people did that, stock piling food and supplies and waiting for computerized doomsday. By that logic, Jim should hermetically seal himself inside his home and not go anywhere because of the alleged risks. For example, if the allegedly unacceptable risk of infection in the Arlington area is my stated 1 in 19,000, then he should also avoid all items of greater risk on the following list:

For example, dying from air travel is 1 in 7,178 which suggests that he's safer in mosquito country than in the air between Phoenix and Dallas.

In another of your rants, you mumbled something about West Nile Virus infections for those over 50 are nearly always fatal. Not so. There is about 8 times the risk of exhibiting symptoms if one is over 50. However, the fatalities are usually from complications resulting from other maladies. Specifically diabetes, which carries a 5 times higher risk of fatality. So far most of the fatalities have been to those in their 80's.

I found this quiz on the West Nile Virus which might be of interest:

There's quite a bit of good numbers and information in the quiz based on the 1999 New York outbreak. I screwed up and read the answers at the bottom of the page before I realized that it was a quiz, so I didn't take the quiz. You might give it a try and see how well you do.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Is that for hunting bugs? I know stuff is big in Texas, but a 12 gauge for mosquitoes?

Due to recent budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has
temporarily been turned off.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

If you are not going to be out roaming the streets at night, dont worry too much about it. Temps are coming down some this week with the front that came in. Gonna be mid 90's in my neck of the woods and nice mid 70's in the evenings. If you are going to be out walking around in the evenings a simple cotton long sleeve shirt will help a lot + some deet or one of the other options. The news and local govt types have played it up. Keeps the population on edge and thinking the govt folks are the only ones that are going to save them.

--
Chisolm
Republic of Texas

Only those damn mosquitos need to worry as they discover that they can't mess with Texans.

Reply to
cameo

At last, a sensible answer. Of course I have only one long-sleeve shirt to my name ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Or, drink a lot of beer. Doesn't that contain the B vitamins that dissuade mosquitoes?

Or, take along a "Bill Gates funded to reduce malaria" laser mosquito gun. Watching that would have to be more entertaining than watching a bug zapper lamp at night. Or, do you need goggles?

Reply to
Robert Macy

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

One other technique, I use - when allowed.

Sit next to someone who is preferentially attractive to mosquitoes and you won't get bit at all!

It absolutely works. ...from experience.

Reply to
Robert Macy

wouldn't say that it "reeks". I'm outside a lot at dusk when the mosquitoes are swarming, it doesn't completely eliminate bites but it cuts them way down.

Lather on was JTs suggestion. If it was a spray, he'd probablu use five coats.

The whole thread is silly. A little math would show that, for a few-day trip, probably spent mostly in air-conditioned spaces, the probability of, at his age, having a heart attack or stroke or a car crash far exceeds any danger from a mosquoto bite. Safest thing is to stay home.

It's impressive how fear usually overpowers reason.

But if he goes, I'd suggest he wrap his head and upper body in a couple layers of aluminum foil or Saran Wrap. In case any skeeters get up his pants cuffs, he should wear several pair of panty hose.

How about red wine ?:-)

I used to have a monster-sized zapper lamp when I lived out in cattle country. Bait it with raw pieces of beef and kill horse flies as big as bumble bees ;-) ...Jim Thompson

wouldn't say that it "reeks". I'm outside a lot at dusk when the mosquitoes are swarming, it doesn't completely eliminate bites but it cuts them way down.

I don't think you can take a spray can on a plane.

The news reports are "extreme danger".

Sorry I'm not into Californica "stylishness" like you :-) ...Jim Thompson

I know. My wife hates me when we sit outdoors... the gnats drive her nuts. Me? What gnats ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

wouldn't say that it "reeks". I'm outside a lot at dusk when the mosquitoes are swarming, it doesn't completely eliminate bites but it cuts them way down.

If you won't do the math, and take the risk, stay home. Under the bed, in case there's a tornado. Your wife can slide pizza boxes under the blankets. You can't be too careful.

wouldn't say that it "reeks". I'm outside a lot at dusk when the mosquitoes are swarming, it doesn't completely eliminate bites but it cuts them way down.

Why don't you stick to what you do best... presenting bull shit circuits that a freshman EE student could do a better job on? ...Jim Thompson

Dallas, Texas, in August?

Mosquitoes will not bother you: You'll likely die from heat stroke on the way to pick up the rental car.

November to April is when you want to go to Dallas. Just be prepared for a cold snap: only barbed wire fence between Dallas and the Arctic Circle.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

Don't bother; the TSA will get them...

Reply to
Robert Baer

If you're outside, especially the 1 hour period around sunset when the swarms occur, good idea to wear a bit of manly perfume. Mosies will probe through clothing, even jeans. Best to apply Deet on socks, back of hands, arms (if you don't wear long sleeves), neck and face areas. A little bit goes a long way (1 drop covers face and neck). Use 100% stuff which comes in less than 3oz bottles. The kiddie Deet (15% or less) will only last a short time (less than an hour). 100% lasts a few hours and attracts the right women. Deet also works to detract bleeding left liberals here in CA.

Reply to
qrk