OT: Is it safe in Dallas?

Is it safe in Dallas? With the mosquito problems?

I'll be at UTA (Arlington) Thursday afternoon and Friday.

Are mosquitos a problem in Arlington?

Should I lather up with DEET ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

Nah, it works much better if you drink a quart or two.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Probably best for _systemic_ coverage ;-) ...Jim Thompson

What a bunch of wussies... When I was a kid, we lived 2 blocks from the Gulf of Mexico and 2 feet below sea level. We used to throw a saddle on the small ones and fly 'em around the neighborhood.

Reply to
mike

I'm from the North Woods. Your only hope of surviving there is if two of them fight over you.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yeah. that would make you smell reeeel good in the coffin.

Reply to
WoolyBully

Yes, and those, however, were not carrying deadly pathogens.

Reply to
WoolyBully

Just wear one of these and you'll be in style and protected from bugs:

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Only from the little ones. The ones in Muskoka or Rimouski would chew him up for breakfast. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

That's what the rifle is for!

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

--
Too bad they missed the mosquitos when JFK was in town.
Reply to

I'd sure the grassy knoll was swarming with them.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Only the young and the frail have problems dealing with west nile. Otherwise its like having the flu, in the summer.

You could try B-1 tablets once a day. Mosquitoes don't like it when it permeates from your skin.

Martin Riddle

Isn't that the so-called Dallas County area, Dallas, Ft Worth and Arlington= . The public health department declared a state of emergency and has been d= oing an aerial spray for the past few days according to the news, which sho= uld take care of it. The stats were something like 275 cases confirmed and = nine deaths. Just wear long sleeved shirts and don't hang around outside at= dusk. Spraying some DEET on your neck, hands and face wouldn't be bad advi= ce either. West Nile can be lethal, the mortality is age-dependent and for = over 50 years of age, from which you are well-removed, rapidly approaches 1=

00%, and, even if you survive, if the infection became "neurologically inva= sive," it could take /years/ to recover. There is no treatment other than f= or symptoms and comfort, so modern medicine can't help but so much, you're = pretty much on your own with it.
Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Hide under the bed and maybe they won't notice you.

Looks like the only state without any incidence of West Nile Virus is Nevada:

Note the incidence rate by month for Texas:

The incidence rate is by which hospital the victim landed at, not where they acquired the infection. Therefore counties with large full service hospitals tend to show a higher incidence.

Arlington is in Terrant county (next to Dallas county), which shows 94 cases for the year, the highest in Texas. Out of a county population of 1.8 million, that's 1 chance in 19,000 of being infected. Compared to the state wide 336 cases out of 25 million population, which yields

1 chance in 75,000, methinks that Arlington county is definitely a non-zero risk. However, the incidence rate seems to be dropping, after having peaked in July. With only 4 cases for the entire State so far for Aug 1 thru Aug 14 (see TX graph), I think you'll probably be ok.

" Approximately 80% of cases have no symptoms..."

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

You're already occupying the space, hiding from your shadow ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Build or buy an ultrasonic mosquito repeller device.

With an Android phone, there are apps:

or for the iPhone:

etc.

It might also be amusing to download an audio spectrum analyzer for Android or iPhone to see who else at the convention is doing the same thing.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

It's kind of amazing how certain you seem to be of fundamentally incomplete= information. Do ya think the friggin mosquito knows which friggin county i= t's in??? Looks like Arlington is within 20 miles radius of a declared emer= gency area. The entire Dallas, Ft Worth, Arlington area is under advisory. = The other problem with your pathetically flawed presentation is a blatant f= ailure to realize that not all cases are reported, not even close. There is= so much uncertainty that even CDC can't begin to estimate the unreported c= ases. Those would be people with mild enough symptoms to avoid hospitalizat= ion or even a doctor's visit or don't even know they have it. Then there is= the animal reservoir population which is also incompletely surveyed as yet= . Anyone who lives in the area should treat the threat as very real until t= he end of the mosquito season there, whenever that is.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I'm not posting about my fear of getting bit by a mosquito. You are.

That would be funny to those Texans, you walking into a conference room reeking of DEET. Go for it.