MOS breakdown voltage

I obviously should have known this long ago, but in reading a couple of NMOS datasheets, I was surprised to see that their breakdown voltage has a strong positive TC, like ~ +100 mV/K. Given the usual story of thermally activated leakage, I was pretty surprised.

Anybody know the physical origin of this apparent anomaly?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Hmm meaning higher breakdown voltage at higher temp? How about something 'silly' like thermal expansion making the distance larger? (smaller E field for same potential)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

George Herold schrieb:

Hello,

the thermal expansion number for silicon oxide is 0.5*10^-6. I think this is too small to explain the rise of breakdown voltage.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

Might well be, but if so +100 mV/K seems like a lot for a 60V device--that's 1600 ppm/K.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

as

t -

Grin.. as usual it's best if I keep my big mouth shut.

I first thought you were talking about gate to source breakdown... But now I think you meant source to drain reverse bias?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Not at all. It's something weird like that, or ionizing deep-level impurity sites, or ... ? Strange, anyway.

Yup, BV_DSS. See e.g. NTJD512, +92 mV/K @ 60V

NDS351, +26 mV/K @ 30V

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I assume in break down the body diode just act as a zener

looking at data sheets, a 60V zener is ~+0.1%/K

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Interesting, Now I just have to remind myself why zeners (greater than ~6 Volts) have a postive temp. coef.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

It seems that the physical origin of that effect is the decreased mean free path of carriers at high temperature. The phonon scattering gets stronger, so the likelihood of a carrier gaining enough energy to cause an impact ionization drops. Because it's an unlikely event, i.e. way out in the wings of the probability density, it's more sensitive to temperature than one would expect.

Interesting stuff--I had no idea that the effect was that strong.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

That's also what this reference says:

This reference mentions the effect of parasitic bipolar action on the avalanche voltage in a MOSFET, but nothing on temperature coefficient:

"Holes generated by the avalanche breakdown move from drain to source underneath the inversion layer. This hole current forward biases the source-bulk p-n diode so that now also electrons are injected as minority carriers into the p-type substrate underneath the inversion layer. These electrons arrive at the drain and again create more electron-hole pairs through avalanche multiplication. The positive feedback between the avalanche breakdown and the parasitic bipolar action results in breakdown at lower drain voltage".

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Looking at the Onsemi datasheet, I gather this test is not done at VGS=0. That is, the part won't leak more than a uA at 25 deg C with VGS=0. But the breakdown is spec'd relative to 250uA into the drain at room temp, but no VGS stated. Does that mean they bias up the gate a bit (i.e. subthreshold) to get 250uA, then crank up the temperature?

The Fairchild part looks similar regarding test conditions, though the tempco is lower.

Reply to
miso

ce

isn't it just Vgs=3D0, and crank up the Vds until you see 250uA Ids for each temperature?

just like a zener is spec'ed at some Iz

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

What happens is the leakage current increases, in the same familiar doubling every 10C manner. That leakage current "interacts" with the avalanche breakdown. Useful voltage rating decreases (that is what i have seen in practice).

Reply to
Robert Baer

How about this scenario. At 25 dec G and VGS=0, they increase Vds until

250uA flows. That voltage becomes the first data point in the tempco calculation. Then they increase the temperature wit VGS=0 t o125 deg C, then do the same increase of VDS until they get 250uA.

I guess what I found confusing is they didn't explicitly state VGS=0 for the tempco test.

Reply to
miso