OT: How about the weather?

How about the weather?

It's going to be hotter in Cambridge Tuesday and Wednesday than in Phoenix... must be God's gift to the blue states for voting Democrat ;-)

Interestingly we haven't had any record high temperatures this summer, although we've had longer continuous runs of 110°F+, but no records.

...Jim Thompson

It appears that here in Oregon we've had our five days of summer, and now we're heading into a long, cool fall. We had record highs a couple of weeks ago, now the temperature is just right for leaving the doors open and wearing long-sleeved shirts (at least at 600'; down in the flatlands you'll want short sleeves).

I suspect that August or September will hold some hot days, however.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Nothing unusual in Florida but when we get weather we give it a name.

Reply to
gfretwell

Yes, when it drops below 60° F, we call it "Winter" and millions of Floridians dig out heavy coats. ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Here in Maryland we are well on the way to a record breaking hot summer. Next two days will be up to 102 which is about unbearable with

80% or more humidity. We had a little bit of rain which just added to the steambath effect. Global warming definitely seems to be asserting itself. Two guys recently "walked" to the North Pole but they used kayaks for part of the journey. Might have to paddle the whole way if this trend continues.=20

Paul (via Google - Coretel is flaky again)

Reply to
Paul

Tell me what the humidity is at any location and time that the temperature is 100-plus, as opposed to sometime in the morning or at night. I find relative humidity above 45% at the same time that the temperature is 98-plus degrees F uncommon in Philadelphia, even if a heat warning is in progress, the humidity is mentioned to be high, and the relative humidity is near or over 80% sometime in the morning earlier that same day.

When Philadelphia had that freakish 129 degree F heat index reading with

102 degree F actual temperature, the dew point was 82 degrees F, which even the Gulf coast would call high. The date and time and location was Saturday July 15 1995, 4 PM at the official measurement location 4 feet above ground at Philadelphia International Airport. The relative humidity at that location at that moment was 54%.

I have handy a heat index chart. At 102 degrees F, the maximum relative humidity it gives a heat index for is 50% (heat index 127 degrees F). At

100 degrees F, the maximum relative humidity it gives a heat index for is 55% (heat index of 126 degrees F).

Don Klipstein

We're back to sweatshirts and parkas here. It was sort of nice to see some flesh, for a while.

John

You are quite correct. The dew point at the hottest point (96F) on Monday at BWI was 69F, for about 42% RH and heat index of 103F. The current conditions are 81F with 76% RH. I found a handy calculator through wikipedia:

All I know is that it was mighty uncomfortable to do anything more than sit by a fan or hide in an air conditioned room, and even now any activity makes me sweat. The next couple of days will be rough. I think I will cancel our outdoor volleyball on Wednesday, and just practice safe sets :)

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen

Whats that? Global warming

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

My sister-in-law from Australia arrived in San Diego last week in the middle of our heat wave. Then, just as things got back to normal (60s at night, 70's in the day, akthough the morning drizzle is a little odd this time of year), she went to Phoenix.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Last summer, we seemed to have a large number of nights where it did not fall below 70. As far back as I can remember, this was a record for me. Not quite as bad this year. I always found 70 to be significant, because with the windows open, it has to be 70 by the time I go to bed, else I need air condidtioning. This also usually means the air is thick with water vapor and contaminents.

greg

Reply to
zekor

Hello Jim,

That's the heat generated from all the guys that are now breaking a sweat after the big dig debacle.

Around Sacramento several records fell in the last few week. 10+ days over 100F, record peak day temps and so on. Our pool is still at 86F, no solar heating system.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

My pool is at 95°, and running the aerator doesn't affect the temperature... my guess is that evaporative cooling is offset by hot water entering from the refill :-(

Saw an article a week or so ago... one of the resorts is using chillers to keep their pool temperatures at 85°F ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I saw a good graphic on the TeeVee weather of the high pressure cell parked over ~Iowa which has been shoving the Jet Stream and its coolness up past where Legg is--leaving the Dakotas with 100F+.

It's always amusing when someone uses an entity whose existance he repudiates to harangue folks with whom he doesn't agree. 8-)

Reply to
JeffM

Hello Jim,

What some folks out here do is run their solar in the early morning hours. Anything above 90F is bath water to me. But, I am married and the better half does not think so.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

In Vermont it's now 86F with a dewpoint of 75F; muggy. It's supposed to get to 95F this afternoon.

Good day to be in the AC at work.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Of course... I have so-o-o-o much fun ;-)

...Jim Thompson

We're currently (10:38AM) at 89°F with dew point at 63°F, which is humid for AZ... but it's the "monsoon" season here, *maybe* it'll rain tonight.

...Jim Thompson

At 2:20pm, 95°F in Toronto (humidex** "feels like" 47°C = 117°F "Dangerous discomfort"), heat index only 107.4 according to US calculator*), but it feels closer to 117°F in the California high desert to me! Dewpoint 75°F, RH 53%

Like a nice comfy meat locker in my office, by comparison.

Kid's doing 30 or 40km bike ride today; glad we picked up a backpack 2 liter "hydration system" yesterday.

**

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

In message , dated Mon, 31 Jul 2006, Jim Thompson writes

England just had the hottest July, and the hottest month of all, since records began.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate