OT: Host a website at home!

I got this link in the email today. I don't need anything like that, I have websites all over the place.

But I thought it might be of interest for those who want to post graphics and can't find any other venue.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

For me, it is as simple as... ... press the power button ... restart in safe mode ... restore a hidden backup copy of Windows

Of course... and you are the net cop enforcer, Paul?

Take a pill, Paul.

news.astraweb.com!border5.newsrouter.astraweb.com!news-out.octanews.net!indigo.octanews.net!news.glorb.com!bigfeed3.bellsouth.net!news.bellsouth.net!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!backlog2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.posted.isomediainc!news.posted.isomediainc.POSTED!not-for-mail

sv3-tFze7Z5RgFjqtWk3Hxw9k4pPKW7X/780eaTuTEfKBzm3DhXWZgdBEM9mqBU3VblOFtGjQiNAiBs5PTa!Ip6yKJi+miqkdlXnNl5BEarb+9eCmXtkbPzMGXqK5LFPCoCHfsXS5TUfZBArdaD5KFOplCDbS89c!YA==

properly

Reply to
John Doe

Consider the administration responsibilities one must accept in order not to have your 'home PC' taken over as a part of a botnet. Also, check your ISP's terms of service.

Its pretty easy to find sites that will host graphics. Although if you have a large archive, a hosting service could get expensive.

I host the back end of some multi-tiered apps 'at home'. To the world, it appears that they are dealing with a commercial hosting service (where most of the static pages and heavy load is handled). But I keep the proprietary bits on my own system, which sits behind the commercial server.

Error: Keyboard not attached.  Press F1 to continue.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I don't think it's quite the same... from reading that article, it appears that you're running a client on your PC that uses some particular protocol the Opera guys cooked up (perhaps just straight HTTP with lots of scripting), and that client accepts requests to send files or whatever, but the entire process is "supervised" by centralized servers.

The whole point is to reduce the requirements for "administration responsibilities" that one incurs if they install, e.g., Apache.

Of course, the Opera Unite service might have plenty of security holes of its own -- the comments seem to indicate that, at least as of right now, the service is more about getting things functional than exhaustively trying to ensure security.

It's a kinda borderline case here... it's clearly not a "regular" web or FTP server. I think most of the ISP "terms of service" restrictions on "servers" is only so that the ISP has cause to terminate your account if it is clear you're running a "real" web server or whatever over your "consumer grade" connection -- realistically it's pretty much impossible to precisely delineate exactly what is a "server" and what isn't. (There are plenty of people remotely connecting to their machines from the office, for instance, using LogMeIn or SSH or Remote Desktop of whatever, and strictly speaking these are servers every bit as much as port 80 or 21 are.)

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

----------------- Have seen this; interesting M$ stupidity.. Error: Keyboard not attached. Press F1 to continue.

Reply to
Robert Baer

There is no need for a keyboard or a display on a remotely administered server. I think it is an Intel thing not an M$ thing.

Bob

Reply to
<castlebravo242

Meh, beyond both: AMI makes an awful lot of BIOS's. Blame them!

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

One computer, no network; stupidity may have existed since DOS 3.3.

Reply to
Robert Baer

It's not even an Intel thing, it's a BIOS thing.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

An Apache installation is a well known quantity. Still, its not a task for a beginner. In my opinion, no service on the Internet is and none should be installed unless one is willing to take responsibility for security.

I guess I don't understand how this differs from a 'real' web server. It listens on port 80 and sends out files.

When some joker posts your URL on Slashdot, it becomes a 'real web server'.

But the traffic to these sorts of servers is restricted by the need for some sort of login/authentication process.

--
Paul Hovnanian  paul@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.

Hi Paul,

I agree with you, and while arguably Opera Unite might be "pushing the lines" a little further than they should, I'd much rather have people running Opera Unite than, e.g., Grokster or KaZaA.

It probably boils down to "intent" or perhaps "bandwidth" -- if your intent is to allow a few friends or family to grab a few files off of your PC, whether it's done by your running Opera Unite or your running LogMeIn probably doesn't matter to the ISP and is well within the *intent* of the ISP's restriction.

I agree that if your URL is posted on Slashdot, your ISP would be correct in claiming you're running a "server" and asking you to stop, upgrade to a commerical agreement, or drop you.

Opera Unite has controls for restricting who gets what files as well... if people choose to use them.

There's no shortgage of people already speculating on the security problems that Opera Unite will cause though. :-)

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner