OT: government study on flu shot effectiveness

communicate odour.

But you really don't deny it?

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

If the implication of "farts can't type" escapes you, you might think that.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

You were talking about my not meeting your - unspecified - standards, so it seemed appropriate to present an explicit example of where you'd fallen sh ort of one of mine. It was the form and nature of your criticism that was b eing criticised, rather than your (almost perfect) English.

You may think so. Your good opinion isn't looking like one worth cultivatin g.

.

That clearly gives a less-than-attractive impression of your personality.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

If you ate better - less risky stuff like raw milk - you might think better, and post less exasperating rubbish. But you could have been born stupid, and merely stayed that way.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

:

ve-in-elderly-after-all/

,

diet

er

ed

ded

is the debunked study. Their conclusion was:

luenza in any season, we conclude that observational studies substantially overestimate vaccination benefit.-

ase in vaccination rate. Dumbass Jamie somehow construed this to mean incre ased vaccination rate results in higher mortality, it doesn't, increased va ccination rate does not affect mortality with any statistical significance.

o slight to tease out a correlation of any significance. The Baysian condit ional of influenza death is buried below the cumulative of all the other ca usations at that point in life.

John Larkin now wants to pose as an expert on statistical inference. The pe er-review system is designed to keep worthless studies out of the published literature, though it doesn't always work. John Larkin doesn't ever seem t o have been asked to referee anything for publication - one can understand why - and his opinion on the worth of a published paper is essentially an i gnorant cat-call from the peanut gallery

If you confined yourself to electronics you'd hide quite a few of your area s of obvious ignorance. From time to time you advertise that you don't know much about transformers, so you still wouldn't look like a Phil Hobbs, but you would look less like a superficial sucker for the Murdoch media.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

But you could have been born stupid, and merely stayed that way.

Hi,

I try to eat better, that is why I can see how important diet is, usually it is at the root of most problems, physical or otherwise.

When you realize how important diet is the next logical conclusion is how important it is to protect and grow healthy sustainable food sources. It is easy to see you have a bad diet by your lack of understanding of these basic principles for one, but also due to your self admitted irritable personality, verging on exasperation as you say.

cheers, Jamie

Reply to
Jamie M

dly,

lderly-after-all/

That's spin. The death rate may have increased markedly over the period whe n flu vaccination had become wide spread, but quite a few other things had also changed over the period, not least age composition - the average age h ad risen as people lived longer.

"Quite the opposite" is a downright lie, or at the very least, a claim that isn't supported by that data.

Which was that the flu vaccinations hadn't done much for the elderly. There 's no evidence that they don't help, but no evidence that they helped much either - the elderly immune system isn't all that good, and boosting it wit h regular-strength vaccinations doesn't seem to make it much better.

It's not surprising that the civil servants responsible for the tolerably e xpensive and not-all-that-effective program didn't want the study talked ab out - it didn't reflect well on them. My guess would be that they were mor e embarrassed about sloppy construction of the study - which didn't separat e out age effects from vaccination - than the results which are so thorough ly confounded by the bad - but cheap - design that they don't say much.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

agreed

he

itutes

areer

at the

of idiots.

study doesn't provide much support for the idea

ngth

at

re

isn't strategy, but exasperation.

tter, and post less exasperating rubbish.

Your diet provides evidence that diet is important? How do you vary it to t est it's effects on the problems that you realise that you've got?

Why? Humans are omnivores, and can eat a very varied diet. Non-vegetarians don't really have worry too much about what they eat as long as it got enou gh of the basic components that keep you going.

Nobody fussed about "healthy sustainable food sources" for most of our evol utionary history - they did fuss about getting enough food, but weren't too picky about where it came from.

Normally I'm perfectly even-tempered, but fools do irritate me, and the cla im that I don't understand the basic principle of healthy diet is a remarka bly foolish claim. Food chemistry isn't a big chunk of a chemists education - because it isn't very complicated - but i was exposed to it long before I went to university. Both my parents had undergraduate degrees in chemist ry, and they made sure that their kids knew about food chemistry from a fai rly early age.

You clearly don't know the subject, or you wouldn't commit the solecism of talking about "healthy" food. One stays health by eating a balanced diet, a nd none of the components of a balanced diet are "healthy" on their own.

The guy who killed himself by eating ridiculous amounts of carrots, probabl y thought that carrots are a health food, but he ended up dead

Wikipedia thinks that carrots alone can't do it, but they may be wrong.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

not-

articleid=486407

but-

It's not chicken, it's leaving you swimming in your own chicken shit.

joe

Reply to
joe hey

Yeah, blah blah, no time for your distracting non-arguments.

bye, joe

Reply to
joe hey

I had to, but now I know it.

joe

Reply to
joe hey

You're right. Hipocrates already found it out, our slowman apparently is a bit slower. "Let your food be your medicine and medicine your food." And I'm 100% sure that with 'medicine' he meant 'herbs'.

joe - pay the farmer or else pay the doctor.

Reply to
joe hey

I already said it: He is an arrogant brat. :)

joe

Reply to
joe hey

This is your unsupported shit

"One can calculate that for every life saved by the HVP shots, 4 are destroyed forever."

and you aren't willing to support it with a link to any kind of actual calculation.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Greek doesn't seem to be one of the languages you have mastered.

and your confidence about the meaning of what he said about diet is probably misplaced - Hippocratian medicine wasn't prescriptive enough to be that restrictive about diet. And cider vinegar - which he did occasionally prescribe - isn't a herb.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

> joe - pay the farmer or else pay the doctor.
Reply to
Bill Sloman

You're intelligent enough to try it, but you won't. So you can say: "There is no proof those vaccines do that."

joe

Reply to
joe hey

As far as I know, there isn't. You made the claim. You prove me wrong.

Since Google wants to tell me about the Human Papilloma Virsus (HPV) when I ask it about HVP, your reluctance to go into detail may have a rather obvious explanation.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Yes, don't you dare try to replicate, too dangerous!

joe

Reply to
joe hey

"It was replication, I know... "

Sung to the tune of "Fascination"

Reply to
John S

Having a virus replicate in your body can be fatal. Vaccination is a way of minimising this. Vaccination has it's own dangers, which need to quantified and presented in a cost-benefit analysis, which you claim has been done, but won't tell us where.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to