Government regulations

I have done work before for government contractors, but I have never had to handle any paperwork that is typically required of larger corporations. I currently am supplying boards with an annual dollar value that will total more than a threshold that appears to be set not by government regulation, but by a company who is acting as a middle man in the procurement process. As such, they are asking me to make certifications, comply with regulations and provide "reports" according to:

41 C.F.R. =A7 60-1.4(a), or its successors 41 C.F.R. =A7 60-1.4(d) 41 C.F.R. =A7 60-1.7, or its successors 41 C.F.R. =A7 61-250.10 41 C.F.R. =A7 61-300.10, or its successors 41 C.F.R. =A7 60-300.5(a) 41 C.F.R. =A7 60-300.5(d) 41 C.F.R. =A7 60-741.5(a) 41 C.F.R. =A7 60-741.5(d)

I have looked at a couple of these and they seem pretty innocuous except for the parts that talk about reports and including the same language in any "contract" that I make with others. I don't think I have the pull to get my vendors to sign anything other than the checks I mail them.

At least one of these exempts companies that have fewer than some number of employees, so I would have an out there. But others don't seem to have that.

This seems rather an onerous burden for a small company to bear. Anyone here have experience with this sort of thing? Is there a general escape clause for very small companies or do we still have to add to our overhead these forms and regulations?

The whole reason that I was able to bid and win this contract was because of my low overhead. It seems counter productive to add this sort of burden to it.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

Are you contractually obliged to provide these certifications?

If not, why are you trying to worm out of them by the letter of the CFRs? Just find a nice way to tell the middleman to stuff it.

If yes, perhaps its a very expensive lesson on reading the whole dang thing before you sign?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

I haven't signed anything yet. I have completed the development and now I am being asked to produce the boards. The PO for the development was from my customer and had no language like this. The PO from the third party has all sorts of language that I have issues with. The first post was about a "Vendor Certification Form". I have since received the PO and it has even more language that I find difficult to meet. I am asked to "indemnify" the buyer against any claims of IP violations or "accidents, occurrences, injuries or losses" from using the product. This just sounds incredibly broad and vague.

I don't know how I can possibly accept this PO with the included terms and conditions. For one I will have to obtain liability insurance and that will take some time and I will have to raise the price to include that.

I guess I'll have to discuss all this with a lawyer and my insurance agent.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

Sounds way unreasonable to me. My standard T&Cs explicitly state that IP research and clearance are the customer's responsibility (since even hiring a lawyer and getting a patent spectrum review is no guarantee of anything) and as with practically anything else you buy, my liability is explicitly limited [as far as legal] to the dollar value of the contract.

Many large companies (auto manufacturers, for instance) are trying to shift liability of all sorts downstream onto their suppliers. As a result, many suppliers are dumping out of those markets. Some customers are simply not worth doing business with. So the first step is to kick back and say your T&Cs do not include this liability.

Having said that - living without liability insurance is risky indeed, and it won't hurt you to buy some.

Reply to
larwe

Well, quite often the boilerplate on PO's has this kind of stupid and one-sided "agreement", but your boilerplate on your order confirmation should counteract it and leave you with an acceptable situation.

I recall getting one PO that was just *so* bizarrely extreme we just threw it back at the would-be customer and told them to go away and never darken our doorstep again. They eventually placed the order through a third party at double the price.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Sometimes the most valuable business tool is the ability and strength to say no to a deal.

On the other hand, if you can work out a compromise, and that should be your goal, these sorts of deals can be lucrative for a number of years, since your competition won't go to the trouble to jump through the hoops.

You've probably reminded all the parties that the reason they picked you is because you could do it cheaper and faster than anyone else. Now they have changed the rules. You'll probably have to do some sort of boilerplate certificate of compliance, and that's ok. The IP indemnity is definitely not ok.

Talk with your lawyer, but don't expect much solid advice. Let us know how it goes.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I would never, ever sign that. Someone gets drunk and drops it on his foot, then sues and you get stiffed because if you hadn't been born you couldn't have designed it, it wouldn't have been built and the plaintiff still would have his toe. Or someone claims the have patent rights to some trivia that wasn't patentable in the first place but snuck through in there and convinces a wobbly jury that you are da bad guy.

They'll probably tell you something similar to what I wrote above :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.