On the Effectiveness of Aluminium Foil Helmets...

Just nominated this for an ignobel...

On the Effectiveness of Aluminium Foil Helmets: An Empirical Study Ali Rahimi1, Ben Recht 2, Jason Taylor 2, Noah Vawter 2

17 Feb 2005 Abstract Among a fringe community of paranoids, aluminum helmets serve as the protective measure of choice against invasive radio signals. We investigate the efficacy of three aluminum helmet designs on a sample group of four individuals. Using a $250,000 network analyser, we find that although on average all helmets attenuate invasive radio frequencies in either directions (either emanating from an outside source, or emanating from the cranium of the subject), certain frequencies are in fact greatly amplified. These amplified frequencies coincide with radio bands reserved for government use according to the Federal Communication Commission (FCC). Statistical evidence suggests the use of helmets may in fact enhance the government's invasive abilities. We speculate that the government may in fact have started the helmet craze for this reason.
Reply to
CWatters

That study is flawed. They never stated if the shiny side was inside or out.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Reply to
Boris Mohar

If they want to buy a network analyser, I could do them a deal.....

I guess the lab manager told them it cost that much so they would try harder not to blow it up.

I suspect their tinfoil hats work better than they think, perhaps the tuning of the receive antenna was poor without the foil. Certainly if someone was pointing one of those microwave crowd dispersal thingies

at me, I would be glad of a tinfoil hat, some tea-strainer goggles and some foil underwear!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

Everyone knows there has to be a liner of Velostat foam or stealth paint to absorb signals.

All those crinkles in the foil are a no-no, they can get a radar fix on you!

Higher education . . .

Newsgroups
default

What possible relevance is the cost of the spectrum analyser? Having not read the study I can't say if it's a piss-take or not, but if it's not, MIT has just dropped in the value stakes (ATK).

Cheers.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor