OT: Goodbye to the American Dream

Bill Slowman, the epitome of _hebetude_ (O'Reilly's word of the day

...Jim Thompson

cripple the economy in order to preserve the planet.

a way that doesn't cripple the planet (and the economy with it), which inv olves putting a realistic cost onto dumping CO2 into the atmosphere.

rice of electricity. I used to say that it would double it, but solar cell prices have gone down and solar cell efficiency has gone up. Solar power an d wind power is now roughly competitive with fossil-fueled generators. Thei r output isn't as dispatchable, which poses other problems - big thermal so lar generators which can store a day or so's energy output in well-insulate d tanks of molten salts do seem seem to be a necessary part of the long ter m solution.

and a fair number who are being paid by the fossil-carbon extraction indus try to obfusticate the message.

s wrong enough to put Joel Kotkin in one or other of these groups.

propaganda directed at Republicans with more money than sense. Jim is merel y a right-wing nitwit with a rather poor grasp of reality, so he probably w asn't an intended target.

If I was as lethagic as all that, I wouldn't have bothered posting an exten ded critique of the crap to which Jim posted a link.

Jim-out-of-touch-with-reality-Thompson reaffirms his right to the title.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Not sure who that was directed at, but Paul is absolutely right here. Large cities *are* the most environmentally friendly way to locate a given population. And large apartment blocks the most "environmentally friendly" way to house them. Ultimately the minimal ecological footprint would be huge "arcologies".

--

John Devereux
Reply to

I thought we were all equal! It's just that some have figured out how to use the capitalist system to earn money. Others have figured out how to use the government system to get unearned money. Then some just figured out how to live paycheck to paycheck. Others are so involved in there passion that they only care about having enough money to let them chase their passion.

You and I won't be equal until I start drinking wine. :-) Also trade my 97 T-100 for an Audi.(not going to happen)

My wife and I are an American success story. But then throw in that 1/2 the team is immigrant, starting with nothing. High School diplomas only, lower middleclass income for 19 years and closer to upper middleclass income for 15 years.

After saving for 34 years, we are now part of the upper crust. Said with my best Thurston Howell III* Locust Valley lockjaw accent and lots of sarcasm!!

Mikek

  • Boston Brahmin accent
amdx

No. Immigration and taxation policies are crushing the US middle class and killing poor inner-city people but making the upper class (which includes you and me) better off, and making the super-rich even richer. Progressives **want** more poor people around; poor people are their power base.

Caesar Chavez told farm workers to not use birth control because it "reduces the numerical power of the poor."

lunatic fringe electronics

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Yeah. It's called "work."

I like my 4WD A3. It's mechanically wonderful, brutally powerful, but the electronics sucks.

lunatic fringe electronics

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Even if all that is true, it doesn't effect any individual that wants to work hard save money, invest and retire at 40.

If you earn $50,000*, save 20% of your income for 20 years invest at

10%** you will have have $797,800. Not a lot to retire on, but more net worth than 90% of the population between 18 and 65 years old. $797,810 with a 4% withdrawal rate is $32,000. aah, keep the wife working ;-) Note that $32K should be mostly tax free, and no FICA either.

  • includes inflation adjustment.

** 60 year average stock market return

For those interested,

And the full dose.

Start at the bottom.

Or, meet Mr. Money Mustache.

Don't miss the Mr. Money Mustache Forum.

amdx

You aren't following what he is saying. He is saying that because "greenies" (his term, not mine) do things to reduce their impact on the planet, but don't do *everything* they can, they are laughable. Obviously Paul either is an extreme greenie himself, criticizing those who fall short or is at the other end just not caring to make an effort but happy to criticize those who do.

A quick note about choices of when and how much to pollute. I once had an older car from the era before emissions controls. I drove it to work once in a while and on weekends for fun. One coworker was ribbing me about destroying the earth with my emissions and I realized that in fact, I was much "greener" than most of my coworkers because it was used so little and I lived so close to work. I know people who drive 100+ miles a day and in their modern econoboxes emit 10x the junk on their daily round trip my belchfire 2000 would in it's short trips. So it can be bogus to point a finger at others who appear to be unaware of their footprint on the planet. They may be greener than you think.

I once dated a lady who ended up dumping me because I couldn't in good faith say I was into "raising consciousness", whatever that meant to her. But this is an issue where doing things like adding solar collectors to your home or using a wind turbine to generate electricity or even just pump water from a well will help to make others aware of the potential for solutions and... "raise consciousness".

Even if we don't have the perfect solution today, that doesn't mean we shouldn't promote efforts to commercialize alternative energy sources. The one thing that will maximize efforts in that area is to create a sizable market for solutions.

--

Rick
Reply to

The nerve of him raising your rates like that! It will be nice to get someone else in office so those rates will go back down. Funny though, my electric rates haven't gone up much at all. I guess he only raised the rates of those he doesn't like.

--

Rick
Reply to

Why would anyone with a enjoyable job want to retire at 40? And if you do not enjoy your job, then why not find one you do enjoy.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

If your job is so enjoyable, why do you take vacations?

--

Rick
Reply to

She makes me.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

hmm, how many factory workers doing a repetitive chore enjoy there job, yet do it for 30 years? I would opine that 1/2 the workers (*16% of the population) would not work at their job if they could receive the same income. If they had enough money from investments, many people would retire, then some of those would say, I'm bored, I'd rather be bored at work than at home. I know a 55 year old guy that has a good pension, yet he can't find enough to do, so he drives a big yellow school bus five days a week.

In 2014 the population was 319 million, the number of people working was 120 million. 120/319 = 31%

31% of the population pay for... well that's not true! About 1/2 of the people working don't pay any Federal taxes. So 15% of the population pays to support the government. Hmm.
amdx

Only in leftists states... but that's changing... Obama just killed coal-fired facilities. Enjoy! ...Jim Thompson

"How much is "not all that much"> Where are you and what fuel produces your electricity?

Are you unaware of what's going on in the coal industry? And thus the price of electricity, at least until they change over to Nat. Gas. Do some research it is amazing all jobs lost mostly because of EPA regs, that Obama pushed to, as he said, To necessarily bankrupt coal.

?Under my plan of a cap-and-trade system, electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket. Even regardless of what I say about whether coal is good or bad,? Obama said in 2008.

From the NY Times,

"Peabody Energy and Arch Coal, the nation?s two largest producers ? may just be a matter of time, based on their recent stock performance. Peabody shares, which traded at more than $16 less than a year ago, hit

99 cents this week, and Arch shares have fallen to $1 from more than $33, making them among the biggest losers this year in the Standard & Poor?s 500-stock index."

Mikek

amdx

Oh no! Carbo Carbonicide!

--

Rick
Reply to

When you don't have to work, it makes finding enjoyable work a *lot* easier. When you're living paycheck to paycheck, you're pretty much forced to put up with any shit the boss want's to shovel on you.

Reply to
krw

I find that when I've had the best jobs, I've hated both Mondays AND Fridays. It means a good balance of work and life. Vacations are the same but more so.

Reply to
krw

That's one way of using the capitalist system to make some money.

The argument that a CEO is working 400 times harder, or 400 times more productively than the average employee in his organsation does lack credibility.

You wouldn't have any trouble with it because you do have delusions about your own competence - you may be good, but you aren't insanely good.

Surely you would have fixed the electronics by now?

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

It's not immigration that's crushing the US middle class, it's a series of political choices that started under Reagan and have been going on ever since.

The US is almost uniquely bad in this respect - only Singapore is worse, and only Portugal comes close - and it has achieved this distinction there since 1970, when it's income distribution was almost respectable.

The existence of right-wing nitwits doesn't preclude the existence of left-wing nitwits.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to