Experience with liquid solder mask

I finally got round to trying out the blue solder mask I'd ordered.

It's an extremely viscous fluid, which doesn't flow noticeably. One consequence of that is that if one applies it with a roller, it doesn't then settle flat, the way paint would. Rather, one's left with an imprint of the roller sponge surface.

The curing time prior to developing depends on the thickness of he layer, and I found that the thickness is next to impossible to get consistent, even when covering it with a plastic sheet and using a laminator.

The stuff itself sticks to anything, and either just doesn't dry unless exposed to UV, or takes a very long time - days - during which any misplaced drop is waiting to be spread around the house (I think I've avoided that so far).

In short, it's a right pain. Maybe one can eventually manage to use it, but I think it's more trouble that it's worth.

I'll try dry-film solder resist instead.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

On Tue, 18 Aug 2015 16:03:17 +1000, Sylvia Else Gave us:

Use a high pressure paint applicator then.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Do you really want to make your own boards? It's messy and labor intensive.

lunatic fringe electronics

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Well, it _is_ UV cure -- a good UV cure material wouldn't cure out at all without being exposed to UV, and would pop off either immediately or in a nicely controlled manner when it is.

Have you tried leaving it in the sun?

It's designed for solder mask, which certainly appears to flow out just fine on all of my boards -- it may be designed to flow out when you warm it. I'd hit it with a heat gun and see what happens.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

You make that sound like a bad thing.

BTW: if your exposure mask is good enough and you keep it dark during the etching process, you can do a second exposure with only the pads and vias transparent, and can selectively remove the photoresist for those. The remaining resist is not quite as good as a proper solder stop, but usually works, if your iron is not high-powered. Also, it's free.

Reply to
Johann Klammer

If I lived somewhere where prototype boards could be sourced at a reasonable price and lead time (say a week), I wouldn't bother. In practice, I either have to wait a month (and that can be variable), or pay a high price either for the board to be made locally (I'm in Australia), or for it to be couriered from somewhere where manufacture is cheaper (e.g. China).

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

I'm using a UV lamp box I made, which works perfectly well on the etch resist. Indeed, it works on the solder mask - but if the layer's too thick, only the surface cures (and attaches to the plastic sheet covering it), leaving the underlying material uncured. I made quite a nice solder mask on the plastic sheet - which is useless, of course.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Just a thought - Is the UV wavelength appropriate for the solder mask?

Reply to
Kluge

ExpressPCB has almost zero lead time,but there are "gotchas" being fixed trace widths, minimum spacing and maybe a few other details one might not like. Their ONLY option for delivery is expensive: FedEx Air. So....sounds like a reputable Chinese PCB house is in order.

OTH,if you are young and rather competent in the fields of PCB making and sales, start your own company and beat the competition on price and thru-put.

Reply to
Robert Baer

If the glop has a thinner or solvent that could be used as a thinner, then dilute it like crazy to make it thin enough to easily pour on and spin (or pour off the board after leveling); let thinner dry in dust-free environment. Makes to perfectly uniform coating that is a joy to use in production. I did that trick with KPR resist, using Benzene as the (highly compatible) thinner, and a TCE (home-built) vapor degreaser (a LOT less expensive than their "developer" which does a poor job).

Reply to
Robert Baer

Maybe you're supposed to spray it on with an airless spray (perhaps thin it a little) and then expose it with a mask covering the solder pad locations and finally wash off the excess.

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

Look up pricing on

, they have interface with the rough quoting facilities of the most popular board houses (domestic or otherwise). The results may be surprising.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

Prototype, short lead time, reasonable price. Pick any two.

Reply to
pedro

? 2015?8?18???? UTC

+8??2:03:25?Sylvia Else???

Jiangmen ABQ Electronic Material Co.,LTD was estimated in the year of 2006.

specialized in the production of high-end photoimageable PCB ink.

We passed the ISO9001 quality standard identification.and ISO14001.

Our Main products:

PISM white colour RS-2000 (W series)for LED ( patent products ),

PISM white colour matt for automative (we have TS16949 certificate , in Eur ope our RS-2000 WDM already be appointed to use in Automative industry,so t here are a lot of PCB factory from china ,from korea ,from Thailand are buy ing RS-2000 WDM for their Europe automotive order).

Electronica spray ink RS-2000 SP(our electronica spray ink is sucessful in Korea market already)

PISM green colour RS-2000GL

PISM other colours RS-2000 BL,K,Y,R ,and others.

$UV cured solder mask UV-1000 G green colour

UV cured solder mask UV-1000 W white colour

Etching ink RS-1200,RS-1280,RS-8580

UV etching ink UV-680,UV 690.

Conduction current carbon ink RF-1860

Low pressure coating ink:RS-2000 BDHF

Marking ink.

All of our products are approved by UL ,(UL filenumber :E-310593).

Main customers in china :Founder technology ,Tiger builder ,Red board ,KB

,mankun and so on.

Due to we are setting up a new factory ,the total produce capacity will

reach 800tons per month.

In order to meet the new capacity we must develop oversea market largely

with very competitive price.

Our oversea market is developing very fast on the basis of our competitive

price ,stable quality ,excellent service.

Now our oversea market is :korea ,russia ,india ,parkistan,saudi,brazil

,usa,vietnam,turkey,Iran,malaysia and so on.

Consindering the cost ,now more and more PCB manufacturers choose china

mainland PCB ink supplier.

Now we are developing your market,so if we can get cooperation chance from

you then we will be very much appreciated.

Looking forward to hearing from you and best regards.

Mrs. Wang

Export Manager

Jiangmen ABQ Electronic Material CO.,LTD

Facebook:

Video:

Web:

E-MAIL: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com | snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com